wink-_-wink

Working out

P.S. - For those massive arms your wife wants, you obviously need larger forearms, biceps, and triceps. Deadlifts and pullups will demolish your biceps and the "palm-side" of your forearms. Presses, pushups, and dips will shred your triceps.

There's also the "back-hand" side of your forearm. Doing wrist-extension with plates or dumbbells will get these bad-boys.

Cut carbs, eat A LOT, instead of 3 large meals, do 6 smaller ones.  Lots of lein protein, lots of eggs and such. 

You can do away with a lot of supplements, pre-workout are ok, gets you pumped, but I only use post-workout stuff (protein) anymore.  I didnt like relying on things to get me jacked up, you get sort-of addicted to it (for lack of a better word) and it makes it tough to keep your energy up if you dont take it.  I dont like feeling like I HAVE to use something to get pumped up to work out.

P.S. - For those massive arms your wife wants, you obviously need larger forearms, biceps, and triceps. Deadlifts and pullups will demolish your biceps and the "palm-side" of your forearms. Presses, pushups, and dips will shred your triceps.

There's also the "back-hand" side of your forearm. Doing wrist-extension with plates or dumbbells will get these bad-boys.

deadlifts for bi's?

I saw this last night at work and didn't want to type everything out on the phone.

For the running do it at least 5 days a week, the people that just graduated the accelerated academy class ran 6 days a week 3-5 miles a day depending on the week.  When running to get your times down what worked for me was running the mile over and over to get it to the time I wanted.  Then I increased it to 1.5 until I got the time I wanted, and so on an so forth until I built up to the 4 mile area.  Pretty much get your time down, then increase distance and repeat.

As for gaining muscle mass if you did it before over seas you know how to get it back just will take time and repeated workouts.  Ask one of the guys on the team already what their workout routine is and mix and mesh your routine with theirs.

For the running do it at least 5 days a week, the people that just graduated the accelerated academy class ran 6 days a week 3-5 miles a day depending on the week.  When running to get your times down what worked for me was running the mile over and over to get it to the time I wanted.  Then I increased it to 1.5 until I got the time I wanted, and so on an so forth until I built up to the 4 mile area.  Pretty much get your time down, then increase distance and repeat.

I recommend hills and interval training for improving your times.   if you're going to run 5x a week then stagger those workouts and a longer distance run surrounded by Base/recovery runs.  Something like:  Interval, base, hill, base, off, distance, off.    Increase the interval intensity and distance run distance by a small amount every other week until you reach the base times that you're looking for then scale back.

Personally I'd only run 4x a week and use the 5th for cross-training.. still cardio but not dedicated running.   Biking, tennis, basketball, whatever. 

Pick one goal to work towards. If you want to improve your mileage work on that. Still add in weight training though. Three days a week and 12 reps range. Except calves they respond better to higher reps. 20-30

It's always easier to add mass before you work on cutting bf. If this is your goal heavy lift and a rep range of 6-8. If your hitting 8 add more weight. Focus and basic compound lifts. Dead lifts, squats, rows, presses. All the basic that involve multiple muscle groups. Change your routine around every 4 weeks. It keeps things from getting boring and prevents your body from adapting to the stress.

Don't waste your money on supplements. The gained benefit is minimal. Except for jacked that stuff is great. Zma is another good one and aides in sleep as well. For either goal make sure you get enough sleep. At least 8 hours. This is your bodies time for growth and recovery.

Eat! A meal should consist of 1 serving if protein, 1 serving of a carb, and veggies. You will have to afjust a serving sixe based on your goals. Avoid processed food as much as possible. The closer food is to the way nature wanted it to be the better it is for you. Lean meats. Steak, chicken, fish, egg whites all good stuff. Complex carbs. Whole grains, beans, sweet potatoes, brown rice. They should all be staples. Some fruit isn't bad to have but avoid eating tons of it. It's natural but still contains fructose. They are beneficial such as vitamins and fiber but you want to avoid eating tons of them.

Avoid added fat such as butter and other crap. Look for some healthy fat such as nuts, natural peanut butter, samon and avocado. All good sources. Efa (essential fatty acids) will aid in recovery and growth. Also a huge key in the production of testosterone.

Playing with testosterone supplements can go either way. Your body needs a balance of that and estrogen. Mess with your levels to much and your going to end up sporting I nice set of cans. As said before avoid all soy products. Soy kills t levels and encourages the production if estrogen.

Your efa's, heavy lifting, compound lifts, and sleep will all encourage and lead to natural testosterone production.

If your looking to add mass you will need to increase your calorie intake. Work on your lifting and if your loosing weight eat more. Not gaining eat more. Gaining weight to fast cut back a little. Same goes if you are working on cutting except in reverse. Aim to loose no more than 2lbs a week. 3 or more pounds a week and you are burning muscle.

Try either cycle for 12-16 weeks and at that time look at your goals and what you have done and adjust as needed.

Any questions shoot me a pm. I will do what I can to help ya

Compound movements, like squats, deadlifts, presses, cleans, rows, chin/pullups, will give you the most bang for your buck and maximize your gym time.

Avoid machines and rely on free weights.  A machine can never replicate the body's natural motion, and moving heavy weight in space is good for the "core".  I disagree with any theory that something like a smith machine is somehow better or safer than doing the same exercise with a barbell.

Compound movements, like squats, deadlifts, presses, cleans, rows, chin/pullups, will give you the most bang for your buck and maximize your gym time.

Avoid machines and rely on free weights.  A machine can never replicate the body's natural motion, and moving heavy weight in space is good for the "core".  I disagree with any theory that something like a smith machine is somehow better or safer than doing the same exercise with a barbell.

Agreed, just nice to use the smith if you dont have a spotter.  Using barbells/free weights is def the best... you are using all of those support/stabilizer muscles...

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/listing/2689829926098?r=1&cm_mmca2=pla&cm_mmc=GooglePLA-_-Book_15To24-_-Q000000633-_-2689829926098

Read that book. It has what to eat, how to work out, exercises, etc

6 meals a day

lean mass(lbs) x .66= oz of water per day

about 2500 calories a day

I prefer 3 days lifting, 3 days cardio one day off.

Day 1: Chest, biceps

Day 2: Cardio

Day 3: Back, triceps

Day 4: Cardio

Day 5: Shoulders, legs

Day 6: Cardio

Day 7: Rest

Abs, core exercises daily.

Flax seed oil has much less of an aftertaste than fish oil. That with a multivitamin, and branched-chain amino acids. Whey isolate protein and I also agree with the almond milk.

+1 on bodybuilding.com

I'm starting to get back into shape now after not working out for a year due to knee surgery, all though my shoulder is next lol.

I am a big fan of Animal Pak products. I have heard good reviews on jack3d but haven't tried it myself.

WHOA!! so much to take in, and THANK YOU for all the input so far!! I was hoping this would be the turn out and knew I couldn't be the only one that is into working out.  OK response time:

First the links to the idiot that died on JACK3D, have you ever seen gerenation kill?  Thats what a LOT of these Army kids are doing... they OD on it because they are using it to stay awake and alert for 3-4 days straight going WAY over the recomended dosage.  Many military bases (and the GNC's on them) don't even sell the original formula for it and replaced it with a kinder gentler one... I take a scoop to a scoop and a half and have fantastic workouts.  I don't take it before cardio only on my weight days.

A little more background I should have initially mentioned, I have been recovering from a lower back injury for about a year.  It is hit or miss with the pain but I don't take meds for it.  Things like deadlifts kill the lower back so I am trying to find a workout with simular results without the actual deadlift.  My gym has a machine that has the bar on a slide so that may be an option.

Today I did legs (shitty idea before work but todays my Friday so screw it!).  I love/hate leg day!  A necessary evil.  I did my protein with water and it wasn't bad at all so as suggested, soy milk gone (as well as the extra protein in it). 

I am working on building a strict routine for my workouts but it is difficult because I don't have a set work schedule.  Like next week (starting Friday) I work 1 day 8am-4, then 7 more days after that 4-midnight.  It is annoying but I am still focused and motivated to get my workouts in!

Day 1: Chest,Tri, Abs

Day 2: Shoulders, cardio

Day 3: Back, Bi, Abs

Day 4: Cardio, abs

Day 5: Legs

Day 6: Circuit,cardio

Day 7: Rest

Some of the bigger guys I know sugest literally sticking to the basics!  Push ups, Pull ups, dips, deadlifts, bench etc.  I have been doing that so far and so far so good.  I have dropped 3 pounds (likely water weight) but I am sleeping better, I have more energy throughout the day and oddly my sex drive is through the roof (likely the test boosters). 

Speaking of the test boosters, I know your all saying get off the supps but 1. I already bought them, 2. I am only going to do one cycle and see the results, and 3. I already bought them lol (stuff wasn't cheap and friends of mine are who suggested these products so I am giving them a whirl).

As for my goals, I want to be bigger/stronger.  This will help me with the entrance PT test for the team.... however the test also includes a run.  I feel like doing my lifting and running 2-4 times a week (sometimes at night even if I worked out that day) I should be able to complete both.  I don't have a goal BF% or weight.  I am comfortable at 205, but want to lower my bodyfat.  I don't want to look 205 basically.  I don't need shredded abs or anything like that because I know the stomach is the LAST place to lose fat so that is the least of my worries.

Again thank you so much to all the people who are putting input in here!! Keep it going tips tricks suggestions, horror stories, success stories!  Thanks guys!(Appreciate not being flamed like I originally thought was going to happen!)

Mark Rippetoe's Starting strength for 3-6 months

then

Jim Wendler's 5/3/1

SQUAT SQUAT SQUAT

Lift big, eat big for strength

Kettlebell swings to increase your vo2max

Pullups and dips, unweighted then weighted once you are strong enough

SLEEP - get good rest.

Ill be going for part time SOG myself when the chance arises I already run and 8 minute mile with the ability to run 6 or so miles without the need to stop. For getting my running up I would hit the pavement, jog the distance between 2 telephone poles, full bore run between the next 2 then walk between the next 2 I would continue this for a good 2+ miles. I also lift daily box and use speed rope, skip the soy milk we only drink almond milk in our house, as far as supplements I use NO Xplode

Ill be going for part time SOG myself when the chance arises I already run and 8 minute mile with the ability to run 6 or so miles without the need to stop. For getting my running up I would hit the pavement, jog the distance between 2 telephone poles, full bore run between the next 2 then walk between the next 2 I would continue this for a good 2+ miles. I also lift daily box and use speed rope, skip the soy milk we only drink almond milk in our house, as far as supplements I use NO Xplode

That is my sprinting workout minus the walking