[This is for pure hypothetical discussion only.....]

I'm a landlord. Lets say I have a deadbeat tenant who up and leave. I go through the full legal. process to regain get possession of rented property (very expensive and time consuming) and at this point I take ownership of the leased space and (hypothetically) everything there-in.

What if the tenant left behind one or several firearms. Legal of course, not ones that he had stolen.

Do they become legally mine right then and there? if not who's property are they?

Interesting question, but unless he was a relative and is dead and left them in a will to you I don't think they are now yours.  To make them yours assuming they were handguns you would need a properly executed p2p.  If they are long guns I still think you both have to fill out a COE for the transfer, but I am not certain about that one.  I would guess that here in NJ once you opened that door you became a fugitive by possessing illegally obtained guns.  Probably best to never open that door :)

I think this would be similar to if there were exotic pets or something like that you need a license to own.  I'm sure there's a fancy Latin legal phrase for owning property that you can't take possession of.

What if you bought an old house and found a gun in the process of doing some renovation work. 

If this is a real situation, then considering how strict NJ's gun laws are, you should be consulting with an attorney rather than taking advice from a bunch of us making guesses on this forum.

If it is truly hypothetical, well you know how everyone despises hypothetical scenarios.

I'd say if you want them or feel they are worth the effort your best bet is probably getting legal advise as suggested.

If you don't want them, I'd take Tommy R's suggestion and take them to the next buy back. Don't see much of a reason to just turn them over without getting something out of it.

If this is a real situation, then considering how strict NJ's gun laws are, you should be consulting with an attorney rather than taking advice from a bunch of us making guesses on this forum.

If it is truly hypothetical, well you know how everyone despises hypothetical scenarios.

I don't have a problem with hypothetical scenarios... which this is.

It is - it's right up there with why are there no gun shows in NJ - which I don't recall reading anything in 2C about prohibitions...

There is no ban on gun shows directly in NJ.......... but there is a statue under 2C that says a dealer must conduct his business only at the address on his license.........therefore no gun shows.