Stackz73

Looking to purchase a .45 any suggestions??

Another vote for the fnx45 if that's your price range.  I have an fnp45USG which is essentially the same thing as the fnx and I have nothing but good things to say about it.  The only thing I would caution you on is that it is a chunky gun.  If you do not have larger hands it might be a little wide for you.  It is a soft shooter, and accurate.  

If you have a bit more money to spend I would look at an HK 45.  The ergonomics are great and it is a very well built pistol.  

All that being said nothing will replace a 1911 and IMO everyone should have one just because lol.  

Gotcha. Never fired one myself but people seem to like the Springfield XD and it holds 14 rounds.

http://springfield-armory.com/xd.php?model=1

I have the XD45, it was actually my first pistol purchase.  Not a failure in over 2k rds, fits well in the hand, and is still my nightstand gun.  

I still enjoy the fnp45 more but haven't put it through enough testing to trust it as an hd gun.  

IMHO, you can't go wrong with pretty much any gun these days.  However...

I've often felt that FN makes "Boutique" firearms (Browning Hi-Power excluded).  

When you buy an FN, what you are really saying is: "I want something different."  If you are buying it because you like it and you want to be the guy at the range with a cool gun, then buy it.  If you are buying a fighting tool, consider the G21 and there is a very simple reason why.

The Magazines for the FNX-45 cost about $44 per magazine - and that is IF you can find them.

Even during the panic, you could still find a G21 magazine.  

I've always believed that you need at least 6 magazines for every firearm:

1 magazine stays loaded in the gun.

1 magazine stays loaded as a spare magazine

1 magazine goes in your range bag as an emergency magazine (for when you go to the range and forget to pack your magazines - ask me how I know this)

3 magazines are around for spares and to take to the range.

If the gun comes with 2 magazines, you are looking at spending an additional $176 on magazines.

Then don't forget the holsters.  I guarantee there are plenty of holster options out there for the G21 - that is not the case for the FNX.

DISCLAIMER: I would rather go to the Dentist than own a Glock.  I think they are ugly blocks of plastic with no soul.  But they work and work well for their intended purpose.  So that being said.  If you want the FNX-45 because YOU want it, then buy it.  Hell, I was considering a Flat Dark Earth FiveSeven just last year.  But if you want a fighting tool, go with the Glock.

One more thing.  Do not discount the Beretta PX4 in .45.  The rotating barrel bleeds off recoil and the gun looks as good as it shoots.

I would not worry to much about the number of rounds beyond nine. The zombies would run to you an mass upon hearing the noise. And in an all out street fight should that day come an ar or ak would rule the day. Personal defense in a mall parking lot?? They average three rounds fired most times.

That being said go 1911 :)

I believe my avatar clearly shows my preference. However, if you have your heart set on a doublle stack .45 try to shoot as many of them as you can. At the very least, make sure to handle each one you are considering. The G21 feels more like a brick than a brick, the FNH FNP/X is almost as large but at least for me was quite comfortable to hold and shoot.

I don't own one, but I handled a S&W 1911 E series and it felt absolutely incredible in my hands. For some reaon it feels solid and just sits on the bull better than any other 45 I've handled. researched it online and once it's had a few rounds down the pipe the love affair begins.

If you want a double stack 45 with a 1911 trigger, how's about the 2011?  You can get magazines that hold 14 rounds.  If you want to go really crazy (and live in a free state), you can get the 170mm magazines which will hold 18 rounds.

STI makes a bunch of different models depending on what you want to do with it.  The only issue is the price.

Being that you are in NJ, land of strict P2P's, look into the Sig Sauer P250.

4 calibers, 3 frame sizes, 1 firing mechanism - 1 permit

I shot one and disliked the DA only trigger. If you an get past that the versatility is a big plus.

Get a 1911 to start with, everyone should have one!

I held the FNX .45 and really didn't like the way the stippling on the grips felt, but I did not get to test fire it.

I would like a double stack .45, the 2011's are really nice, just don't want to spend that kind of money for a gun I will rarely use (like I really use any of the others right now, they are all "Bluelined" for the Summer!)

Got a glock 22 40 cal. I like it alot. Good balance easy to sight in on target. The fn in 45 im sure will shoot just as well. I just got the fnx fde model friday and its getting shipped here this week from tanners (pa). So i havent fired it yet but ive read a bunch of reviews and none bad. Id go with glock cause its more proven. Yes the fn does have a wide handle. But come on 15 rds of 45. Awesome. I like the feel better than my 1911. Also yes everyone should have atleast one 1911 put that on your next to buy list. The fn does have that nice case 3 mags and a different sized backstrap Dont drive yourself crazy over it. Youll do well with either one.

Get a 1911, its really nice firing .45cal from a heavy metal gun.  If you are really worried about 8+1 capacity, then just get two 1911's and strap one on each hip - that will give you 18 rounds without a reload :)