boo

hi from Clifton

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hi to everyone. I have an appointment next week to submit my FFID and P2P applications and I'm really excited. With a little bit of luck, I should be all set by Christmas :(

Basically a newbie here. I've gone shooting before, but never actually owned a gun. I grew up in CA, but couldn't really afford one at the time, and got sort of turned off to them by issues my buddy ran into following a "run-in" with ATF agents (it's a long story). My interest was recently piqued during Hurricane Sandy. Sitting around in the dark with no power, not knowing how quick Clifton PD could respond to an emergency (assuming I had power on my cell phone to call 911) made me feel pretty vulnerable for my family and myself. I just finally got off my @ss to get the ball rolling. 

Looks like my timing couldn't have been better with the recent opening of Woodland Park which is barely15-20min away. I'm even thinking of trying my hand at waterfowl hunting at some point.

Just going through the site I have to admit I'm finding the prospect of gun ownership being a bit scary. Not from being shot or anything, but I'm paranoid that I'll end up accidentally violating some arcane NJ gun law, get arrested by an overzealous cop and end up in prison. Hopefully with a bit of research here I can prevent that.

Welcome from Wayne.  This is a good place to read up on the laws to keep yourself out of trouble.  Indeed, Jersey's laws are complicated and bothersome.  Another good resourse is Nappen's book.

Can't believe you have to make an appointment to submit applications in Clifton!  Be sure to check off that you want a few P2P's, not just one, as they are only a couple of bucks each, and it's a pain to go back to apply for more.

I've heard that the Woodland Park Range will soon have rentals available, so you may want to go there to try out some stuff from their amazing collection while you are waiting for your papers.  A bunch of us on here are members there, so just holler if you need a hand getting started.

Can't believe you have to make an appointment to submit applications in Clifton!  

Unfortunately, Clifton PD is so short staffed they had to resort to appointments only. They have Det. Cusack and ms. Cassie assigned to handle the permits, but they can only dedicate about 30% of their time on it because they have other duties as well. Once you get to know them they are actually pretty good. 

Welcome to the Forums!

... but I'm paranoid that I'll end up accidentally violating some arcane NJ gun law, get arrested by an overzealous cop and end up in prison. Hopefully with a bit of research here I can prevent that.

Well, the NJ laws are apparently designed to discourage gun ownership...  Make sure you know enough to stay away from trouble.  You can find a lot on the Forums.