Shawnmoore81

Detroit declares bankruptcy

Only the congress can raise money though taxes. They must originate there.Aint going to happen

Hahahahaha ... Hahahahah... good one .. oh wait. You were being serious?

You mean like all the bail outs that were spent exactly not like the laws said? Or the constant shifting of funds from one pocket to the other?

Hell I wouldn't be shocked at this point if the Federal Reserve announces a QE4 (or is it 5, I've lost track) in which it will purchase Detroit debt and Detroit debt only.

I always get a laugh when I encounter the quaint notion that we are still a nation of laws where we care about constitutions and such. 

Expect federal government to jump in and stop it. Otherwise this becomes the model for so many places and they can't afford that image.

The us government is bankrupt they just keep printing more money ... Expect the dollar the fall within a year

The us government is bankrupt they just keep printing more money ... Expect the dollar the fall within a year

Well eventually, I don't think it will be that soon. First there is that whole least dirty shirt we have going for us, and secondly they'll take more and more bizarre measure to drag it on as long as possible.

There are some very positive things that would come from a devaluation of the US dollar. Exports would become more attractive and domestic manufacturing would have a better time competin here at home. Over time we would have a way to bring back some of the manufacturing we have lost over the last 25 years.

Of course the Chinese will play their usual tricks with no consequence...so probably not.

Detroit will be "too big to fail".  This is another opportunity to inject brand new money into the economy - which was the real purpose of the TARP bail outs.  Dump a few billion in newly minted bills into Detroit and suddenly Detroit has more money to spend then it knows what to do with.  They buy new vehicles for the roads dept, new desks for offices, the get the elevators fixed, and add office staff.   Detroit's economy temporarily takes an upturn.  The president declares himself savior. Your dollar becomes worth even less.  The Fed continues to purchase mortgages and bonds as fast as they can to (1) inject even more money into the economy while (2) temporarily and artificially keeping stock market prices high by buying up all of the available mortgages and bonds (creating scarcity of investments - what the Fed cryptically calls "Quantitative Easing").

All they have to do is keep this teetering country from tipping over until after the next election.  I'm not sure they can do it.