bear0311

Need some input from anyone that knows anything about 1903's (Pictures added)

I am about to buy my first 1903a3 and am just looking for some advice.  I know nothing about these rifles but have wanted one for awhile.  I came across one that I think is a pretty good price and I am most likely going to purchase it but I just wanted to see what you guys think.  I only took one picture and it was the serial number so I could look it up when I got home.  On top of the receiver it reads U.S. Remington Model 03-A3, then the serial number.  After a little research I found that it was manufactured between April and May of 1943.  This rifle is in PRISTINE condition.  The action is so smooth, the stock is beautiful and from what I could see had no scratches or dings, there is no rust or pitting anywhere, and the bore looks fine.  I am not looking for a collectors piece so none of that really matters, I am just looking for a good range toy.  The only thing is this rifle looks brand new, I find it hard to believe that it was used in WWII.  The seller claims that his father-in-law carried throughout Europe and I have to reason to no believe him. 

Couple things that I have some questions on.  It is a pistol grip style stock and is just a straight solid stock, there is no band with the sling swivel.  Also the bolt handle is stainless not blued like most pictures I have seen.  Now the seller did tell me that it was modified a long time ago to eliminate the detachable magazine, now there is an internal magazine but do any of these descriptions sound like it was refurbished or anything?  Like I said I don't really care if I am getting everything all matching I am just curious.  I am most likely going to purchase it and will post some pictures up when I do to try to get more information.  I know you guys probably cant tell me too much without seeing it.  Thanks in advance.

good story....

not true, but good story. like anything else, buy the rifle, not the story.

1903a3's originally had stamped floor plates, no detachable magazines, only internal. They never had polished bolts either. The stock could be a "C " stock,  curved stocks like a pistol grip, but not under the action. 

best look a few on Gun broker to compare what it should look like.

sounds like a rifle that was sporterized at some time and then "un" sporterized.

the detachable magazine he is talking about is probably  an earlier milled trigger guard/floor plate assembly that is normally used on a sporter 03a3 (it is actually an 03 part that interchanges with the 03a3 )

I doubt the rifle was "carried through out Europe during WWII". A rifle carried in battle will have knicks and dings in it. Even if he was a rear echelon clerk it wouldn't be flawless and been banged around a bit. I would say the rifle has been refinished. That's okay but don't pay an original rifle price. The bolt handle s not stainless but polished steel. I've see this done to the bolt handle and also the bolt body. The 03A3 never had a detachable magazine only the internal magazine so that part is not true. AFAIK the 03A3 was only made with a straight stock so the stock is likely a replacement.

There are others who can tell you more. Just don't pay an all original price for it.

Ok after looking at some pictures on gun broker, I have some more details to add.  The stock is nothing like any of the ones on there.  It looks more like a modern bolt action stock with the top of the barrel exposed, like you would see on a Remington 700.  The front post sight is just a front post, it does not have the protector ring around it.  Also there are no markings on the end of the barrel like I am seeing in pictures on gun broker.  The receiver looks exactly like this one besides the bolt being polished.

Yea that's it. Although it is nice I plan on replacing it with origanals(don't know how hard it would be to find) or I am sure someone makes replica stocks of some sort right? I am picking it up tomorrow hopefully so I will post some picures. Thanks for all the information.

Looks like you just need to replace the stock and parkerize the bolt handle. You are damn lucky that the barrel didn't get cut down by someone with a hacksaw!!!! (hacked up "sporterized" milsurp rifles abound).

Be aware that there is a metal cap that has the bayonet lug and a few other metal parts that bolt to the stock that you'll need as well.

Also be aware that the 8 round en-bloc clip you posted a photo of is for an M1 Garand, and will not fit in a M1903. You can simply remove the cartridges and load them into the Springfield. The clip itself is part of the M1 Garand's magazine mechanism, and useful only on that specific rifle.

Numrich can supply you with some parts for it:

USMilitary_Springfield1903A3_schem.jpg

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/USMilitary-33541/Rifles-42386/SpringfieldModels-40111/Springfield1903A3-42095/PartsList-42071.htm

Thanks for the information. Can anyone confirm for me that it is fine to fire modern 30-06 rounds through it?

Any commercial 30-06 will work fine in the 03A3. Being a bolt action there are no pressure curve issues like a Garand.

Definitely looks like a good candidate to restore. As for the seller's father in law carrying it throughout Europe, probably not true. More likely the actual story was the father in law carried one throughout Europe and after the war went out and bought one because of how much he liked it. I don't believe any one was allowed to take their service weapons home with them (other than some possible extremely rare circumstances, though a few may have smuggled them home)

Now I don't think the seller was purposely lying to you, it sounds more like the seller has no real interest in firearms. He probably inherited it, has no interest in it and decided to sell it, and gave you the story that he had originally misheard, because he was not very interested in firearms, from years ago.

Sight unseen...... no one can do that..........  as with ALL surplus weapons it is up to you to decide if the firearm is safe...or have it checked out....  Minimally buy a head space guage...

Hey the barrel can have an obstruction right?  :)  You get the point.

However, as Griz has stated it should be fine...the 03-A3 is a very robust action .........YMMV.

It should be a good candidate for a restore....I have a complete stock set if you need...all you will need is the metal bits etc.....

PM inbound on the stock set