Ugh.

He joined us at the range for the first time yesterday.  He's shot at some indoor places but asked for some basic instruction.  We did some pistol drills and then some speed on steel.  I had to put him far right in the pit and supervise/RO him standing to his right because the cocked gun gave me the heebies. 

Yup. If shooting production,  you need to decock after chambering a round by manually lowering the hammer. I shifted from a Glock to a SP01 Shadow for production.  It took a while to get used to but you can practice manually decocking with an empty chamber at home. 

This is why you should go through the true NROI RO Course... Make sure they're pointing the gun downrange in a safe manner before manually decocking.

Out of curiosity...assuming they are pointed down range and under supervision while in the process of decocking the hammer slips and a round is discharged.  Automatic DQ?

I'm more concerned about him shooting steel where they will make him drop the hammer, unless perhaps he can shoot from low ready? I don't know...it's really not my problem. He wanted that gun...if he wants to shoot in events he'll have to deal with it.

For steel he doesn't need to decock the hammer. I shoot static steel with my CZ75 and I start cocked with thumb safety in the holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

For steel he doesn't need to decock the hammer. I shoot static steel with my CZ75 and I start cocked with thumb safety in the holster. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Apparently we are talking about a cz75bd

No safety. De cocker only.

Apparently we are talking about a cz75bd

No safety. De cocker only.

If you read the first post the op clearly states "manual safety no decocker"

Out of curiosity...assuming they are pointed down range and under supervision while in the process of decocking the hammer slips and a round is discharged.  Automatic DQ?

yep, happened to me in my first uspsa match, on the very last stage with my cz75b. now i use my baby eagle with a de-cocker.

The CZ is what it is. I've shot mine for years in Production and I still do once or twice a year. The answer is learn to do it safely and as an RO learn to deal with it because it is not the first nor the last CZ you will have to handle.

There are about 3 different ways to do it safely, pinch the hammer left to right, pinch it front to back or

. In the 12 years I've shot a CZ to say nothing of all the other people I've seen shoot CZs, I've never see anyone have an accident, but point it downrange when you do it and life goes on.

Ugh.

He joined us at the range for the first time yesterday.  He's shot at some indoor places but asked for some basic instruction.  We did some pistol drills and then some speed on steel.  I had to put him far right in the pit and supervise/RO him standing to his right because the cocked gun gave me the heebies. 

you should of had a piece of nut bread before to calm everything down..LOL...

Ugh.

He joined us at the range for the first time yesterday. He's shot at some indoor places but asked for some basic instruction. We did some pistol drills and then some speed on steel. I had to put him far right in the pit and supervise/RO him standing to his right because the cocked gun gave me the heebies.

Why does the cocked gun with the safety on five you concern it is no different then a 1911 in the same condition. Just wondering not trying to slam you or anything is it because o his newness. Really no different then a Glock actually a little safer cause you have to disengage the safety manually on the 1911. Also the uspsa ruling seems odd it would seem more unsafe to decock on a loaded chamber then to just make safe unless I am missing something on how this gun functions

It isn't about USPSA or CZ it is about the production division which requires first shot to be double action. You can shoot a CZ cocked and locked in Limited or L10 or Open.

Ty for the explanation Vlad. I do not have a da/sa gun so I was not aware glad to know

Why does the cocked gun with the safety on five you concern it is no different then a 1911 in the same condition.

It has more to do with my friends noobishness and me supervising him.  As you know guests at our range are not allowed to draw from the holster.  I feel much more comfortable supervising a shooter using a DA gun rather than SA, especially when they are shooting from the low ready.  The trigger pull in DA is much heavier (at least on a stock gun) than it is in SA, and all it takes is for me to sneeze, he turns his body to say bless you and discharges.  It's just less likely to happen with DA gun in DA or at the least in SA with the safety engaged.  Truth told I would feel just as uncomfortable if he was shooting a 1911 or a my sons striker fired M&P. 

With only 15 months or so under my belt I too am new at this and err to the caution.  It's probably not rational, but it's how I view it.

Thanks for the answer kings ones just curious. I hear you on the new aspect. I would tell him to practice at home with an unloaded weapon before he goes to his first shoot. That's what I did and started at USPSA much harder than steel to be safe gun handler. Tell him to start at steel. I also know how you feel about RO newbs. What helped me is I RO at steel and then I worked wounded warrior at the club last year on the pistol line. Mostly newbs all day coming to shoot my guns in the outdoor pistol. Sometimes two different people on two guns granted its only five or ten shots but all day. It really helped me get comfortable having people with unknown experience shooting under your care