Mach16lt

Newest addition: M1 Garand from CMP

Took a trip out to see family in Detroit on 4th of July... And stopped by Camp Perry Ohio on my way home.

Hands down, the CMP is one of the coolest rooms I have ever been in.... Just racks upon racks of "The greatest battle implement ever devised"

After picking my jaw up off the floor, and checking stuff out for about half an hour, I was about to purchase a $550 rack grade M1 in rough shape. When I was about to check out, the guy at the counter told me that I might want to wait a minute and check out a batch of "Special" grade they were about to put out. Well that guy is awesome... I'm so glad he gave me the heads up.

People flocked to the new additions to the show room when they came out, and I managed to pick up 1 that no one had gotten to yet.

Looked at the tag and on it it said:

Muzzle: 0

Throat: 1

There's probably nothing "correct" about it, and I doubt the wood is original based on how good it is... But it shoots dead on balls and its pretty much the most awesome thing I have ever purchased. And, as far as I can tell, the receiver serial number dates to 1943, so that's just icing on the cake for me.

Only issue so far is that it ejects the clip early sometimes. Replaced the clip latch spring this weekend. Can't wait to get out to the range so I can shoot this thing again.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Darn, I forgot that was on the way.  I made a drive out to Minnesota during July 4th.  I should have made it a stop on the way home.

What is the requirements to buy from CMP though?

I want to go now...

No yesterday...

No wait last month..

NOW!!!!!!

Latest reports are that the racks are very bare with the matches in full swing, probably best to wait until the fall at this point. I might be going in the end of October - we'll see.

What is the requirements to buy from CMP though?

Super easy...Had to:

• Provide proof of US citizenship

• Show membership in a CMP affiliated Club (OBRPC counts, also you can join a garand collectors club while you're there for $25 if you don't have a membership anywhere else)

• show proof of Marksmanship activity ( they accepted my USPSA member card)

• photo ID, background check, etc. ( normal gun purchase stuff)

Super easy...Had to:

• Provide proof of US citizenship

• Show membership in a CMP affiliated Club (OBRPC counts, also you can join a garand collectors club while you're there for $25 if you don't have a membership anywhere else)

• show proof of Marksmanship activity ( they accepted my USPSA member card)

• photo ID, background check, etc. ( normal gun purchase stuff)

Thanks.  Interesting, there are no clubs in PA that satisfy the CMP affiliated clubs.  I have membership to 2 different clubs out there.

So does the CMP currently have any thing else besides M1 Garands in stock at the store? I know on their website does not have anything listed.

They had a few chrome barreled Springfield 1903s when I was there... But they were in rough shape. Looked like they were ceremonial rifles. They also had a bunch of Kimber .22 target rifles...but they were all listed as possibly having "heavy rust" in the barrels due to improper storage.

Also, the CMP south store might have a different selection. If you want, the CMP forum usually has guys that give "reports" on what is in each store almost daily...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Great find! When were you out there...I'm hearing that racks are empty these days....BTW Did you notice how the Kimber 82G supply looked?

I stopped by on 7/6... So my report probably is null and void being that national matches are going on...

But the Kimber .22s were plentiful... Looked like 2 racks worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2