5th4x4

Bergen County Former Marine Checking-in

After 2 decades of living in the People's Republic of New Jersey, I finally decided to try for a FPID.

My delay in doing so was due to some bogus info I had been told regarding a criminal record (Disorderly Conduct) from 25 years ago that occurred out of state (NY).

Obviously that did not ultimately prevent me from obtaining my NJ license (it certainly didn't prevent me from being issued an M16 in the Corps!), but according to the LEO who I dealt with, it did slow down my approval (5 months!). Seriously!!!!

(Ok, fair enough; at least I was actually able to obtain one. That was a huge relief!)

Anyway, the other delay in applying was based on my lack of knowing where I could go to fire a rifle in this area. It's been a really long time since I've fired a weapon, and I thought that it would be truly torturous to possess a rifle, but then not be able to fire it and get to know it. (kinda like ordering a delicious meal off of the menu.... and then only being allowed to look at it)

There was a time when I participated on various Marine Corps forums, and I was always so frustrated by how many of my fellow jarheads in other states could enjoy such a carefree relationship with their firearms - while I felt that I was being denied even my most basic 2nd Amendment rights, simply because of where I was located.

So....

I'm here to acclimate myself into the NJ gun culture, and hopefully it doesn't leave me feeling too hungry.

At this point I'm looking to (finally) purchase, and to learn what is necessary to navigate in this very restricted AO that I reside in. 

And that's the Intro.

T

Welcome aboard and thanx for your service. There are places to shoot nearby in and out.... Take your time... We're always around.

Oh, and in honor of a loved one still stationed out of country, hoorah and semper fi!

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Welcome to the forum, thanks for your service. My little brother is a Marine and will be returning from the sandbox in week and half.

Thanks. 

Happy to hear that your little brother/my Marine brother will be returning home soon!

I assume his unit comes from Lejeune(?).

Welcome aboard and thanx for your service. There are places to shoot nearby in and out.... Take your time... We're always around.

Oh, and in honor of a loved one still stationed out of country, hoorah and semper fi!

Thanks (again).

Wow. Back-to-back post with devildogs overseas. The rotations are constant. Their units are either deployed, or reinforcing again before the next deployment :/

Welcome Aboard!  What are you looking to pick up?

The only rifle that I've really fired with any consistency is the M16 (during the Corps) and AR-15 (post-Corps). I've also fired a couple of 22's and a fairly beefy Remington, which I don't recall any details about other than it was a bit more rifle than I really enjoyed.

So basically I'd prefer something as close to the AR-15 as possible: as far as size, barrel length, handling, etc. 

I qualified rifle expert with the M16 every year (except in boot camp; I couldn't shoot worth a crap while wearing those black-rimmed prescription glasses that I needed in order to see the 500 yard target) so I would obviously feel pretty confident handling something similar, especially after trying the big Remington (lots of barrel, too much kick). I didn't have a natural 'feel' for that rifle at all

There's just something about the feel of the M16/AR-15, that's like a drug - especially to a Marine.... no matter how long it's been since you've last fired one. The relationship between a Marine and his rifle is like the relationship between a boy and his first dog; best friends, and inseparable. (although the dog would be deadly lethal of course :p )

I'd love try to forge that type of relationship again, so I'm thinking it's best to stick with a similar breed of dog, as opposed to learning to love a parrot or a ferret or a cat.

Does this preference box me in (or out) too much???

Not at all - Are you looking for a full size rifle type AR15 or more of a shorter Carbine (M4 size)?  Probably something with a 16" Barrel?  Unfortunately with NJ Laws we tend to have to "neuter" our ARs by pinning muzzle brakes, pinning stocks and grinding off bayonet lugs....

Not at all - Are you looking for a full size rifle type AR15 or more of a shorter Carbine (M4 size)?  Probably something with a 16" Barrel?  Unfortunately with NJ Laws we tend to have to "neuter" our ARs by pinning muzzle brakes, pinning stocks and grinding off bayonet lugs....

I'm glad to hear that you didn't completely dismiss my preference right out of hand, but wouldn't the "wait time" for something like that be Biblical in scale?

I would prefer the AR15 (familiarity) but I've heard high marks about the M4, so the shorter barrel is not a deal-killer (besides.... 500 yards is not in my future at this point anyway).

As for "neutered" features, I know what state I live in, so I'd be shocked (and happy) to even get my hands on a "wannabe" assault-style rifle. After all, even a neutered dog still has teeth.

I'm a noob here... I'm a noob in the modern-day gun culture... and I'm especially a noob when it comes to navigating preferences vs limits when it comes to NJ's aggressive stance on gun ownership.

But you (and others here) really seem to know what you're talking about.... so I'm all ears!!!

First-off welcome aboard and thanks for your service.

You can find stock ar-15's that have the same look as the m-16's or if you prefer you can build one from the ground up and make it look however you want to.

Check here if you want to build you own.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/10248-ar15-newbie-building-a-first-ar/

Reading this somewhat confusing document will help you "understand" NJ gun laws for rifles- words and terms have been discussed consistently on here due to different interpretations of the wording from the AG of NJ

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/24378-is-insert-any-semi-automatic-rifle-legal-in-nj/

First-off welcome aboard and thanks for your service.

You can find stock ar-15's that have the same look as the m-16's or if you prefer you can build one from the ground up and make it look however you want to.

Check here if you want to build you own.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/10248-ar15-newbie-building-a-first-ar/

Reading this somewhat confusing document will help you "understand" NJ gun laws for rifles- words and terms have been discussed consistently on here due to different interpretations of the wording from the AG of NJ

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/24378-is-insert-any-semi-automatic-rifle-legal-in-nj/

Ok, great!

First of all, I have to assume that the stock AR's are backlogged(???).

If not, then I'm on that in a hurry! Would I have to order it/buy it in-person from a dealer, or can I order online? How does that work?

If the wait is long for a stock AR, I would definitely be willing to build my own. I certainly broke-down the M16 a million (2 million??) times during my enlistment (Marines clean their weapons far far far far more than they will ever fire their weapons). Then again, I probably didn't actually have to break it down (and then reassemble) as much as would be required to actually build one from scratch.

Still though... I'd give it a go - as long as there aren't large sets of specialized tools that will cost me more money than the cost of the parts(!).  

I'm mechanically-inclined, and I'm a rifleman... so if that's not enough to qualify me, please stop me before I commit to something that is beyond my abilities.

As for that link to what's legal. Yes, it is VERY confusing. I've read that portion of the law, and it seems to contradict itself in places. That's why I am so glad that I ran across this forum! Like-minded people sharing the limits of the same law. I can't think of a better resource, and this place is already proving valuable (and enjoyable) to me.

I really do appreciate all of this very friendly information. I'm very grateful!

It all depends on what you're looking for and how much you're willing to pay.  You can find factory assembled ARs in stock a bit easier now than 6 months ago.  Assembling the lower from a stripped lower and a parts kit would be pretty easy.

Yep, he's stuck in Okinawa for a little while longer. Then east coast I hope.

Thanks (again).

Wow. Back-to-back post with devildogs overseas. The rotations are constant. Their units are either deployed, or reinforcing again before the next deployment :/

I haven't been to any LGS in a while, but most shops have AR-15s on the rack its just a matter of going in looking for what you like.  If you find a store you like see if they can order you one.

It all depends on what you're looking for and how much you're willing to pay.  You can find factory assembled ARs in stock a bit easier now than 6 months ago.  Assembling the lower from a stripped lower and a parts kit would be pretty easy.

I see. Hmmmm....

Well, I think that my decision will be made on whatever is quickest, I guess.

If the wait time isn't too long, and if the process isn't too involved, I'd probably opt for a stock rifle ("in before the ban" as they say. I'm seriously nervous about that).

If I can get the parts quickly enough, I don't mind taking whatever time it takes to assemble it. That will just make it feel more like "my rifle".... which would then really hammer home the Marine rifleman's creed:

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will... My rifle and I know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit... My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will... Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!

...which would be classic!!!!

(btw, there was a time when I could recite that word for word. Age and time has reduced that to the first few lines only now)

I live in the Paramus area. I know that there is a "Dick's" in Paramus, and there is a "Ramsey Outdoor" in Paramus (soon closing) and one in Ramsey (duh). I have no idea what they stock, but I guess I'll ask.

Does anyone know of someplace else in the Paramus area? I've never really had gun shops on my radar until now, so my familiarity with what is around is sorely lacking.

And yes, I did read further in that "build" link. I saw tools mentioned; about $100 or so. Hmm.

I haven't been to any LGS in a while, but most shops have AR-15s on the rack its just a matter of going in looking for what you like.  If you find a store you like see if they can order you one.

LGS is Long Gun Store????

(I guess it's time to start adding some new acronyms to my already overpopulated list)

Yep, he's stuck in Okinawa for a little while longer. Then east coast I hope.

Yup. Okinawa is perfectly paired with the word "stuck". I spent 4 years in an infantry regiment (5th) and I miraculously evaded the 6 month Okinawa rotation. That is NOT the norm, believe me (albino tigers are less rare than that!)

Anyway... hopefully he doesn't come home with a new wife(!). 

(new tattoos however, are practically a given)

Nah, married, (wife former Marine, but he has rank, lol), has a little boy and he transferred there per his wife's orders. Go figure. I warned him...

Yup. Okinawa is perfectly paired with the word "stuck". I spent 4 years in an infantry regiment (5th) and I miraculously evaded the 6 month Okinawa rotation. That is NOT the norm, believe me (albino tigers are less rare than that!)

Anyway... hopefully he doesn't come home with a new wife(!).

(new tattoos however, are practically a given)

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Welcome & thanx for your time in the USMC. Iwas actually in CL this morn with my son who is seperating this week. Did not like it when he was deployed and being shot at! Of course he liked the action being a young stud..lol. Im in Brgn cnty too, you can shoot lots of paper at the Cherry Ridge (Sussex cnty)range which is the only reasonbly close place for rifles. 50, 100, 200, 300 yds to choose from.

Thank You for your service.

You, sir, have way more experience with the AR platform that Joe citizen.  Do you self a favor, build it yourself.  We are here to help.  Other than an LGS for a stripped lower, the rest can be shipped to you, given certain caveats.  We can help with that.  Assembly is easy.  Get the configuration you want, not what the LGS is selling, unless of course it fits.