5th4x4

Bergen County Former Marine Checking-in

double that!

I do appreciate that, but I'm no hero. I just did my time (Ronald Reagan was my Commander in Chief... which means that I did my time a long time ago!) and I loved/hated every minute of it. 

I'm sure there are other Marines on this forum who were asked to do a lot more than me. And there are so many others who have given way more than any of us could ever imagine. And it's those heroes who deserve our greatest thanks and appreciation:

https://support.woundedwarriorproject.org/Default.aspx?tsid=167&campaignSource=CDRO&source=B100107&gclid=CISm4e_-w7gCFcie4Aod-woAaA

I do enjoy talking about my time in the Corps and meeting new Marines, but I'm not very comfortable with all of the "thanks" that people are kind enough to express. My wife has explained that I should just be gracious and accept people's appreciation. But I did nothing extraordinary. My pride in the Corps and the camaraderie that I share with my brother Marines is why I make my service known. I do that for those who went before me, and those who have come after me. I honor them, so I graciously accept everyone's "thanks" on their behalf. 

This has been a rather verbose way of deflecting some of the appreciation that has been shown to me here, but if any of you clicks on that link because of this, I will gladly act as an ambassador for those who truly deserve your appreciation.

I'm just a dopey guy who enjoyed being a Marine, so I'm a bit uncomfortable with all of the appreciation. You should hear how savagely we would brutalize each other on the Marine Corps forums!!! So I'd happily settle for something in-between ;)

You did do something extraordinary, you served.  Some can, and will.  Some will and can't.  And some will not!  Your contribution however small by your own definition is significant.  The machine only works with the some of its parts. 

I, for one, salute you for your contribution in preserving Freedom. 

I, for one, salute you for your contribution in preserving Freedom. 

I did take the oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States..... and I continue to take that oath very seriously..... which is why this freakin state (and others) drives me crazy!!!!!!

So anyway, thank you. Yes, "freedom"...

"He who has lost freedom has nothing left to lose"

Thank You for your service.

You, sir, have way more experience with the AR platform that Joe citizen.  Do you self a favor, build it yourself.  We are here to help.  Other than an LGS for a stripped lower, the rest can be shipped to you, given certain caveats.  We can help with that.  Assembly is easy.  Get the configuration you want, not what the LGS is selling, unless of course it fits.

I never even thought of it as an option, but I really am tempted to just build my own!

It will require a major suppression of "immediate gratification", but I think it would be pretty cool.

HOWEVER........

If I get "the configuration" that I want, it still has to be legal, right? So the configuration is still limited, right? 

(unless I plan to defend the siezure of my freedom and my tricked-out weapon until they pry it from my cold dead fingers, I guess).

I'm thinking that it's probably best to just keep it legal here in Jersey (because if me and the house wind up riddled with bullet holes, my wife is gonna be pizzed!), so is the custom configuration really worth the hassel?

Could I just buy a stock configuration, and then modify that afterwards?

I'm seriously wieghing both options, so I'd really appreciate some experienced/educated thoughts on this.

Thank you for your service and welcome to the forums. 

Heres a thread that has many pages of pics of members ARs so you can get some ideas for your build http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/10555-ar-pics-lets-seeum/

WOW!!!

HIGHLY MOTIVATING!

That's a sweet link. I can smell the metal and the oil right off the screen! :p

If I get "the configuration" that I want, it still has to be legal, right? So the configuration is still limited, right? Yes, to NJ law.

so is the custom configuration really worth the hassel? Yes, you get what you want within NJ limits.

Could I just buy a stock configuration, and then modify that afterward? If you want, but why waste money on a configuration you don't like?

Could I just buy a stock configuration, and then modify that afterward? If you want, but why waste money on a configuration you don't like?

Ok T Bill.... based on your answer to that, I suspect that the price difference is significant enough to be significant.

Btw, I also suspect that there is not actually a standard configuration that gets sold in these LGS's (<<< credit to Arbelest for my ability to reference that term).

So much to consider. Guess I better start considering.

The best reason to piece one together yourself is you can get the parts you want, instead of buying an off the shelf rifle then having to spend more money changing stocks, handguards, sights, etc to get it the way you want. And it also gives you the opportunity to pick and choose what parts go into the rifle as well ( lpk, bcg, barrel, muzzle brake, etc)

The best reason to piece one together yourself is you can get the parts you want, instead of buying an off the shelf rifle then having to spend more money changing stocks, handguards, sights, etc to get it the way you want. And it also gives you the opportunity to pick and choose what parts go into the rifle as well ( lpk, bcg, barrel, muzzle brake, etc)

I'm seriously impressed by you "build" guys. I had friends that worked in the regimental armory, and they were gun geeks of the highest order (this was long before geeks were geeks).

You guys would be those guys, so major props to you.

And I was a gearhead (cars/engines) before/during/after I became a jarhead, so I can appreciate the tinkering and the customizing that goes into building your own pistol/rifle/M1A1 Abrams ;)

Anyway, I've looked at a few of the step-by-step tutorials, and some of it seems pretty intricate. Will I really need to assemble all of the srpings and safety switches and all of that other stuff in order to do this?

This is what I remember:

The buttstock had a recoil buffer and a recoil spring. I wouldn't be looking to customize any of that, so a 'stock" buttstock would work fine for me.

The handguards were just hard black plastic and were removed and installed by pulling back on a spring-loaded ring at the fat end of the base (although that ring was often very stubborn!). But ultimately handguards were simply nothing more than a device to prevent your hand from frying like bacon on the barrell. "Not being burnt" is a luxury item for a Marine, so the aethetics of the handguards weren't given a whole lot of consideration.

The sights were just a basic open aperature and a post. I always qualified expert with that setup, so fancy sights might be cool, but sights are just sights in my book (and when all else fails, "Kentucky windage" gets the job done, so sights become nothing more than ambiguous guides).

Therefore, I'm wondering if "building" a rifle is like building a racecar, while buying a stock rifle is like buying a car off of the lot.

I know the car on the lot... I like the car on the lot... and I could put a round in the body of a target at 500 yards with the car on the lot.

So........

Am I a build guy, or a stock guy?

(obvously I suspect that I'm a stock guy, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.......... especially since this is gonna cost me some serious $$$$$$$ either way, huh??)

I guess my biggest question now would be how different are the stock AR's from one LGS to the next. Don't they just mostly sell the same standard model??

(and believe me; nothing gets more standard than a Marine Corps issue M16)

Btw...

Should I have created a new thread for all of this?

(just wondering what the protocol here is on such things)

Right now I think LGS are getting in what they can so AR-15s from LGS to the next are different in make, model.  One might only have Colt AR-15s in that day and another may have RRA(rock river arms).  Another option is to check manufactures websites for the make/model you want and try the price request feature on the forums.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/forms/

You should get some PM's (private messages) back in a couple of days from FFL's on this forum.

25 yard and 50 yard... ;)

Welcome to the Forums!

There is a new shooting range in Woodland Park, they have 50 -yard for handguns and 100-yard for rifles.

Anyway, I've looked at a few of the step-by-step tutorials, and some of it seems pretty intricate. Will I really need to assemble all of the srpings and safety switches and all of that other stuff in order to do this?

Yes but it's fairly simple.  I've done it a couple times and haven't had any issues.  You just have to be careful not to shoot any springs across the room.

This is what I remember:

The buttstock had a recoil buffer and a recoil spring. I wouldn't be looking to customize any of that, so a 'stock" buttstock would work fine for me.

Most AR15s off the shelf come with adjustable M4 type stocks now.  However, you can get an -A2 style rifle stock on some models.  I don't know how tall you are or how long your arms are, but most of us prefer the adjustable type stocks so we can adjust them to the most comfortable position, then pin them in place to comply with NJ's laws.

The handguards were just hard black plastic and were removed and installed by pulling back on a spring-loaded ring at the fat end of the base (although that ring was often very stubborn!). But ultimately handguards were simply nothing more than a device to prevent your hand from frying like bacon on the barrell. "Not being burnt" is a luxury item for a Marine, so the aethetics of the handguards weren't given a whole lot of consideration.

A lot of people like railed handguards (to add tacticool accessories), while some of us prefer lightweight handguards.  I personally like the Magpul MOE handguards - they're plastic and lightweight, and you can attach rail sections to them.  They're more comfortable and ergonomic than the standard black circular handguards.

The sights were just a basic open aperature and a post. I always qualified expert with that setup, so fancy sights might be cool, but sights are just sights in my book (and when all else fails, "Kentucky windage" gets the job done, so sights become nothing more than ambiguous guides).

If you get the standard front sight post, you'll be familiar with that.  I'm not sure if you want a carry handle sight or just a standard A2 non-flip up sight for the rear.  There are many different sight options.  A lot of them are for "Backup Iron Sights" that flip up when needed.

Therefore, I'm wondering if "building" a rifle is like building a racecar, while buying a stock rifle is like buying a car off of the lot.

I know the car on the lot... I like the car on the lot... and I could put a round in the body of a target at 500 yards with the car on the lot.

So........

Am I a build guy, or a stock guy?

(obvously I suspect that I'm a stock guy, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.......... especially since this is gonna cost me some serious $$$$$$$ either way, huh??)

Looking at what you want, I'd say BUILD!  You can customize the gun to your likes AND save money as well over an off-the-shelf model.

Btw...

Should I have created a new thread for all of this?

(just wondering what the protocol here is on such things)

Nah this is fine.  There's a dedicated AR15 section that you may want to look through for more information.

You guys are amazing. I feel like I've been carpet-bombed with more info than I can put into action right now. (so I gotta let the dust settle a bit, I think).

I honestly thought that I'd just stumble in here, ask what kind of M16-like rifle I could buy in this state, ask for some store suggestions, and then bloat the credit card bill with an impulse-buy.

But now you chuckleheads have got me thinking about actually building my own! ;)

So now I'm thinking that I should be posting a thread in the AR Discussion forum...... and then vaccilate in that area for a while instead ;)

(nah, I'm not really a vaccilator. I just like to fully access a situation instead of just rushing in and then trying to figure out what the heck I just got myself into)

Ok, but before I do that, does anyone know if someone has already posted a thread that specifically lists Bergen County/area (north Jersey) guns stores? I really do need to give the "buy" option a full and fair evaluation before I can truly commit to a "build" option.

If not, I'll post one and ask the Bergen guys here for their knowledge/input.

Oh, and one last thing (<<< don't believe that, btw)...

Can I buy online?????????

You can buy online and ship to a FFL, however, I'd say a good majority of us feel it's best to fondle a gun in person before buying....

Ok, a couple of things about that:

1) What is an FFL? (so much to learn!)

2) I figured that the fondle factor would be mentioned (makes sense). That said, how would I fondle a "build" before assembly?

You gotta understand that I don't know one stock (sight, etc) from another. I know only cookie-cutter military-style features. I never got to play with or try different options. Therefore I wouldn't know "my preference" on pretty much anything. 

All I really do know that I want is for it to be able to put a hole into the black of a target 500 yds away. Not that I could actually even do that anymore (or even have the place to try it), but I want something that "could" and something that feels familiar to me; something that I'm already confident handling and using.  

The "options"...... all pretty much luxury items to me. Not that I'd scoff at them, of course. I'm just sayin.

So who builds the closest thing to what I already know? Anyone? Or are "tricked-out" assault-style weapons the draw in the first place?

Honestly, I really wish I knew what I would like.... but I only know what I had. And I was happy enough with that.

Make sense??

FFL = Federal Firearms License - someone licensed to transfer firearms.  If you buy from online (from out of state), a gun has to be shipped and transferred through a FFL. 

Fondling a build.... that's tougher.  You'd have to find someone with a setup near to what you like.  It sounds like you're looking for more of a longer rifle, bench shooting type of guy...

I prefer a shorter, run and gun rifle... (14.5" Midlength with pinned muzzle brake, stock, bayonet lug removed - 100% NJ Legal)

Middy-ALG.jpg

Couple of stock option from different manufactures

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=225

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=226

http://www.bushmaster.com/firearms/XM-15.asp

Anyway else we can carpet-bomb you with information let us know.. if you posted in the ar-15 section already I'll get there in a few minutes.

WOW!!!! THAT'S HOT!!!!!

How much you want for it? ;)

And yes, you are correct that I'd like to be able to shoot for distance, but you had mentioned the shorter barrel earlier in our discussions, and it started me thinking that I may need to seriously consider sacrificing distance for practicality. After all, if a squad-sized zombie force infiltrates my house in the middle of the night, I'd like be able to do some effective room-to-room clearing ;)

Seriously though, that's a sharp looking weapon Nick! I could definitely go for something like that. Any idea of it's the range? (that's more of a curiosity question than a must-have question).

Sans scope, what do you think that it would that cost me to build (or even buy, if someone already churns those out)??

WOW!!!! THAT'S HOT!!!!!

How much you want for it? ;)

And yes, you are correct that I'd like to be able to shoot for distance, but you had mentioned the shorter barrel earlier in our discussions, and it started me thinking that I may need to seriously consider sacrificing distance for practicality. After all, if a squad-sized zombie force infiltrates my house in the middle of the night, I'd like be able to do some effective room-to-room clearing ;)

Seriously though, that's a sharp looking weapon Nick! I could definitely go for something like that. Any idea of it's the range? (that's more of a curiosity question than a must-have question).

Sans scope, what do you think that it would that cost me to build (or even buy, if someone already churns those out)??

I can easily hit out to 200 yards - I really don't shoot longer distances with that AR.... Plus in NJ most ranges go to 300 yards max.... there are a couple in south jersey that go to like 600 but they're pretty far...  Cost of that one was about $900 IIRC.   

This one may be good for you too.... http://www.stagarms.com/model-4/

I can easily hit out to 200 yards - I really don't shoot longer distances with that AR.... Plus in NJ most ranges go to 300 yards max.... there are a couple in south jersey that go to like 600 but they're pretty far...  Cost of that one was about $900 IIRC.   

This one may be good for you too.... http://www.stagarms.com/model-4/

Yeah, good call on that link.

(I'm pretty sure that I've slept with her big sister ;) )

Btw, a little help: IIRC?

===============

Oh, and Arbelest...

I haven't opened a new thread in the AR forum yet. I've been trying to work on a deadline-specific project while simultaneously keeping an eye on what's going on here.

Incredible links though. Love it! The prices hit ya right in the solar-plexus though. OOOOOF!!!

(I already had a concept of the cost.... but the closer I get to the commitment, the more the reality sets in)