5th4x4

Bergen County Former Marine Checking-in

Welcome to the forums!

If you need any help with your build let me know. This is my last build chamber on 300blk

OMG... you could take a nap on the butt of that rifle!

Obviously there is no limit to the luxuries that can be slapped onto these rifles.

I was telling Krdshrk how I knew only military-grade hard rifle butts, and that those were good enough for me then, so they are good enough for me now. And then he sends me a link that essentially takes me back to my past, and I couldn't believe how clunky the butt on that rifle actually looks after seeing all of these other modified versions!

That said, those clunky rifle butts were as much a part of the weapon's lethal blow as the rest of it (including the bayonette end). The military version of an assault weapon doesn't waste any valuable kill opportunities... and a genuine rifleman can use his weapon to kill at 500 yards with a round... as well as at arm's length, with the full force of the weapoin itself.

There's some 'romance' in that for those who can truly appreciate it.

So anyway, yes(!!) I would be very grateful for your help when I build my own. And it's really getting to be that time, I think. So I'll let you - and the other "build your own" troublemakers I've already encounterd here.... bhunted, Krdshrk, Arbelest, T Bill, alowerlevel - know when I've finally posted my new thread in the AR forum.

(so stand-by to stand by for that)

What a crazy freakin place this is.

NJ gun guys.

Who knew!!!

Welcome & thanx for your time in the USMC. Iwas actually in CL this morn with my son who is seperating this week. Did not like it when he was deployed and being shot at! Of course he liked the action being a young stud..lol. Im in Brgn cnty too, you can shoot lots of paper at the Cherry Ridge (Sussex cnty)range which is the only reasonbly close place for rifles. 50, 100, 200, 300 yds to choose from.

Btw, I kept meaning to respond to this.

Good for your boy. You must be very proud of him. And he is a young stud(!). Plus he's been on the 2-way rifle range, so he's got the BTDT card that he now carries with him for life!

I have the greatest of respect for him!

And I'm so glad to hear that he's home safe. Every evening before dinner me and my wife say a prayer for our troops - whether they are in harms way, or just far fom home. It's not an easy life, so we should all appreciate the sacrifices that these (especially young) men and women make. They get asked to do so much compared to their peers back home, and they give up a lot of the fun years of thier lives... and they are aware of that. But they do it. God bless them all, and God bless your son. Enjoy him.

And thanks for the info about the range! I'll probably be hitting you up for more info in the near future.

Welcome. Check out Ramsey Outdoor in Ramsey. It is their main firearms store. When you go there ask to speak to Jim he is a very nice guy and knows the AR platform he should be able to get you what you want. When I went in there a week ago they had probably 6-7 ARs in stock.

Ok. So welcome here. I too was usmc. 90-97. I finally had to go when our commander chief was elected the second term. He was at best. A used car salesman. I was 3521. Yes motor pool. Attached to a howitzer battalion. So as many of you know im very partial to colt ar's Probably because thats what they handed to me and trained me with. And as you know it mystifies people when you tell them we can hit a target at 500 yds with iron sights. It blows alot of their minds. But the majority of us did it with no problem. My first ar in 2001 was a colt match target 20". Just like the one we had in boot camp. In my opinion go for a colt. Go basic then get a feel for it again and put at least. At least 1000 rds through it then you will get a feel for what irks you and what you want to change. Go back to basics on what you know. It will all come back to you. Its a great feeling. Youll have flashbacks of what we did when we were in. I really miss training on 29 palms and those black flag days. Wish i could be there now. Welcome brother. Ars for all.

Welcome to the forums, 5th4x4! Having friends and family who are former or enlisted Marines, my family and I thank you for your service!

If you're in Paramus, I'm a few miles up 17 from you, actually in walking distance from the "Ramsey" Ramsey Outdoor Store. I completed my m4 build in the spring, I'll post pics when I get a chance. Building your own is NO problem whatsoever, you just need the right tools. I have them, if you're interested. Just pm me, and we can meet up.

By the way, Bravo Company had a great sale recently on blemished uppers, I have one and it's pristine. Your only issues will be ordering the pieces for the build. I also have some great links that take you through the process.

Again, pm me if interested, I'd love to help out.

Welcome to the forums, 5th4x4! Having friends and family who are former or enlisted Marines, my family and I thank you for your service!

If you're in Paramus, I'm a few miles up 17 from you, actually in walking distance from the "Ramsey" Ramsey Outdoor Store. I completed my m4 build in the spring, I'll post pics when I get a chance. Building your own is NO problem whatsoever, you just need the right tools. I have them, if you're interested. Just pm me, and we can meet up.

By the way, Bravo Company had a great sale recently on blemished uppers, I have one and it's pristine. Your only issues will be ordering the pieces for the build. I also have some great links that take you through the process.

Again, pm me if interested, I'd love to help out.

Hey BBQ!

Kinda funny... I just got back from a trip to Ramsey Outdoor (seriously... just a few minutes ago!). Looking for a rifle bag. Bupkis.

Dicks had a decent one, but meh. So it looks like this will be another yet online purchase.

Speaking of online purchases.... my build is actually complete at this point.

I do have a half-finished build thread here (half-finished only because my digi-cam crapped out halfway through the build, so it was becoming one of those "this thread is pointless without pics" kind of things).

I'll update my build thread soon enough though, since I can't half-azz and disrespect my rifle like that.

Btw, it's also an M4. And my upper is BCM. I haven't tricked it out: no bells, no whistles (no optics - yet).

(damn, I really do need to post some pics)

My own family has hit a dry patch as far as keeping the Marine thing going. And unfortunately, the most eligible candidates at the moment are all girls right now. (and that doesn't really fly with me, so hopefully there will be no interest shown by any of them)

So did you say that you have active right now? I still enjoy Marine culture, so feel free to share details if you want to.

Anyway, it's great to know that there is another local Bergen guy here (and you are the most local that I know of at the moment here).

T

Ok. So welcome here. I too was usmc. 90-97.

Feel free to share unit details/duty stations.

I was one of those rare east coast Marines that went west after PI. I actually chose an MOS that had a school that was only offered in Cali just so that I could go to Cali.

I ended up in Stumps :/  (Communications Electronics Battalion)

But... that didn't work out for me (it felt like I was in the 13th grade) so when the CO of the school called me onto the carpet, I ended up telling him that I didn't want to be in school, and that I wanted to do Marine stuff.

So...... he sent me to Pendelton to be a grunt with the 5th! (be careful what you ask for!).

Actually I didn't mind that (too much). But I did eventually get offered to transfer to Motor T (3531). So that's what I did (whew!). I eventually ended up as a 3521 (2nd echelon mechanic - same as you!) but that was only because they were courting me to re-enlist and I had expressed an interest in it.

But the 5th was a hard corps grunt regiment, so it was filled with lots of fun Marine stuff (shooting, rappelling, war games out in the field). I liked all that crap.

I finally had to go when our commander chief was elected the second term. He was at best. A used car salesman.

I hear ya. When I was in boot camp, Jimmy freakin Carter was my Commander in Chief, and we actually had to recite the chain of command every single frikken day!!! Ugh.

Fortunately Reagan popped onto the scene once I got into the fleet, so finally the Marine Corp got it's balls back!

I was 3521. Yes motor pool. Attached to a howitzer battalion.

I can still remember my first time experiencing your howi guys throwing live rounds over our heads during an operation out at Stumps. Freaky. But their rounds landed so far away from us that we couldn't even see the impacts anyway. But still : o

Btw, you guys were onto Humvees in your day. I was at the tail end of the M151 jeeps. That was dune buggy stuff. As easy to work on as a muscle car (minus the muscle, of course).

So as many of you know im very partial to colt ar's Probably because thats what they handed to me and trained me with.

Yup.... weened on Colts. Iron sights. We gave those rifles a beating, and they took it. 

And as you know it mystifies people when you tell them we can hit a target at 500 yds with iron sights. It blows alot of their minds. But the majority of us did it with no problem.

I'd still love to be able to try :)

Not much chance of that around here though.

My first ar in 2001 was a colt match target 20". Just like the one we had in boot camp. In my opinion go for a colt. Go basic then get a feel for it again and put at least. At least 1000 rds through it then you will get a feel for what irks you and what you want to change. Go back to basics on what you know. It will all come back to you.

Most people here push tactical shooting techniques - which wasn't really part of Marine training except when we did urban warfare training. 

But... I already know that I could hit the black at 500, so I don't mind the jibes that get tossed around for not being "squared up" to the target. We could barely even see our targets... so being "squared" was pointless (and ineffective).

The 1st Civ Div is a different world.

Its a great feeling. Youll have flashbacks of what we did when we were in. I really miss training on 29 palms and those black flag days. Wish i could be there now. Welcome brother. Ars for all.

Were you at Lejeune? My cousin came out to train at Stumps once. I drive up from Pendelton and sprung him for a day (I got him back late though. Oops!)

Stay in touch brother!

S/F

Ottos has nice soft bags for your AR.... In fact, they are hanging by the build kits.

If I had more time today, I would have swung by and checked them out.

Maybe I'll do that tomorrow instead, since even if their prices are a bit higher than online, the savings in shipping costs may make it worth the trip.

(btw, that's one of those extra costs that a build creates; lots of individual $hipments/co$ts)

At one point today I found myself getting a bit snobbish about what kind of rifle bag would be worthy of my rifle (<< seriously!).

But fortunately, I came to my senses and remembered that every rifle that I have ever partnered with was as much a part of me as I was a part of it. So I reminded myself that there are only two ways that any Marine carries his rifle:

1) Slung

or

2) Fingers cradling the front of the mag well

Therefore... a bag is a bag is a bag. And a bag is strictly a carry requirement for the range only.

So, if OSA doesn't have an inexpensive option.... that bag will be worthy enough for the range ; )

Thanks for the link.