NJSlick

The build begins!

Just picked up my PSA blemished lower from TJ Sporting Arms on Saturday. Couldn't find a blemish, so I'm happy about that. Have a Stag Arms LPK and a Heavy Duty Buffer Tube Kit as well. This is my first AR build, figure I'll make a plinking AR first. I plan on using the Magpul ACS-L stock(pinned of course). Still haven't decided on what upper to use but its a work in progress...

PybI236.jpg

3ldrln7.jpg

160_884_popup.jpg

Good Luck. If you need something we're here, just ask.  PSA was having a sale on uppers this past weekend. Keep an eye out, sometimes they carry over a few days.

Thanks! I've been keeping an eye out. I've heard PSA makes quality products so I'm hoping the build goes smoothly!

I got a blem from psa as well and about the only thing I found wrong was a scratch inside the magwell. I'll take that all day.

Absolutely. And for the price you can't beat it. 

Trust us, the build will go smoothly.  Questions? Ask before  you buy, many friends here with a ton of experience to help you. I know you will like a PSA build.  Been there, done that, and all has worked perfectly.

Nice score. PSA sells good stuff

So I've heard! I've been checking their site daily...

Good deal. Post picks of your progress!

Absolutely! I will continue to update this thread as it continues!

Oh come on I see the blemish, they put magic marker over the serial number  :haha:

Winner! lol

So I've heard! I've been checking their site daily...

Absolutely! I will continue to update this thread as it continues!

Winner! lol

On a more serious note when I did my AR build I sent my trigger kit out to Bill Springfield at www.triggerwork.net. He slicked up the trigger kit and reduced the pull. My trigger pull is amazing and smooth. I also highly recommend you purchase the anti rotation pins for the AR trigger. I didn't at first and of course I had a pin walk on me. In my case it only caused the gun to jam. I have heard it may cause the gun to go into full auto.

Well here's an update, got the stock and just ordered the PSA PTAC 16" Upper Receiver. Figure since I have a PSA lower, might as well go with a PSA Upper. I will be removing the flash hider for a NJ legal, muzzle brake.  Heres a pic from their website...

38221.jpg

Heres the link to the upper..

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/ptac-16-m4-1-7-5-56-nato-yhm-rifle-length-diamond-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle.html#arpartsfinder.com

Nothing bad about that.  YHM free floated forearm, M4 barrel.  Pick out a brake, pin it and your GTG.  Enjoy. 

Yeah I love the look of this upper and I'm sure it will secure my accessories nicely. I'm going with the Yankee Hill Phantom Toothed brake. More pics to come!

very nice choices, look forward to seeing it complete!

Thanks! Me too, I'm getting ancy waiting to have it put together!

T Bill,

i have a NIB Yankee Hill Phantom Toothed brake fpr sale.

I sent you a PM, interested in buying it. 

Two words... Geissele. Trigger. (I have an SSA now. Love it. Next build will most likely get a SD-E.)

Hmm, I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

On a more serious note when I did my AR build I sent my trigger kit out to Bill Springfield at www.triggerwork.net. He slicked up the trigger kit and reduced the pull. My trigger pull is amazing and smooth. I also highly recommend you purchase the anti rotation pins for the AR trigger. I didn't at first and of course I had a pin walk on me. In my case it only caused the gun to jam. I have heard it may cause the gun to go into full auto.

I've heard mixed review on Bill Springfield.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/575594_My_Experience_with_Bill_Springfield_DBA_Triggerwork_net.html

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=69659

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-gun-talk/188642-bill-springfield-work-any-one-have-problems-too.html

You don't need anti-rotation pins if you installed the FCG correctly and there's nothing wrong with the FCG.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/486584_KNS_Precision_anti_walk_pins.html

Full auto from pins walking? How would that happen? Are you sure you didn't read that pins walk more from full auto firing? Do you have any support for this? Just curious, not being confrontational here.

Full auto was a poor choice of words. What I read was "bursts". There are plenty of forum topics on this. Here is one for example

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-666138.html

I can't really disagree with the Bill Springfield reviews, frankly my experience with him from a business standpoint was also lousy. I waited a long time to get a trigger kit from him but eventually he did call me and tell me he had one to ship to me. He is somewhat arrogant and full of himself. I already had a trigger in my AR so it was not any big deal waiting. The only thing I can say about the experience is the trigger is outstanding, smooth crisp and light. I never sent any guns to him for work nor would I. But I can say his AR triggers are nice.

I will put in a plug for Bruce Gray of GrayGuns in Oregon. I sent my Sig 226 Extreme to him for a full competition overhaul. All I can say is holy crap, what a beautiful job they did and the gun is outstanding.

"You don't need anti-rotation pins if you installed the FCG correctly and there's nothing wrong with the FCG."

Completely untrue and there are a ton of written experiences that contradict that statement. I have two AR's both of them now have Anti Rotation kits installed. Prior to that one AR NEVER experienced a pin issue, the other ALWAYS had problems no matter how many time I took it apart and replaced pins, and I am pretty sure I have assembled them both correctly. What can I say, that was my experience. My pins never walk for just a couple of bucks.

I don't see the big deal anyway, most of us spend a fortune putting custom parts on our AR's, and for just around $25 you can add the pin kit. Another very helpful thing about the pin kit is the guide that screws into the pin to help you insert the pin. It goes in smooth and easy. I see a dozen AR's a month and each time I can point out what I like and don't like, what is necessary and what is not necessary. But to each his own.

Full auto was a poor choice of words. What I read was "bursts". There are plenty of forum topics on this. Here is one for example

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-666138.html

I can't really disagree with the Bill Springfield reviews, frankly my experience with him from a business standpoint was also lousy. I waited a long time to get a trigger kit from him but eventually he did call me and tell me he had one to ship to me. He is somewhat arrogant and full of himself. I already had a trigger in my AR so it was not any big deal waiting. The only thing I can say about the experience is the trigger is outstanding, smooth crisp and light. I never sent any guns to him for work nor would I. But I can say his AR triggers are nice.

I will put in a plug for Bruce Gray of GrayGuns in Oregon. I sent my Sig 226 Extreme to him for a full competition overhaul. All I can say is holy crap, what a beautiful job they did and the gun is outstanding.

"You don't need anti-rotation pins if you installed the FCG correctly and there's nothing wrong with the FCG."

Completely untrue and there are a ton of written experiences that contradict that statement. I have two AR's both of them now have Anti Rotation kits installed. Prior to that one AR NEVER experienced a pin issue, the other ALWAYS had problems no matter how many time I took it apart and replaced pins, and I am pretty sure I have assembled them both correctly. What can I say, that was my experience. My pins never walk for just a couple of bucks.

I don't see the big deal anyway, most of us spend a fortune putting custom parts on our AR's, and for just around $25 you can add the pin kit. Another very helpful thing about the pin kit is the guide that screws into the pin to help you insert the pin. It goes in smooth and easy. I see a dozen AR's a month and each time I can point out what I like and don't like, what is necessary and what is not necessary. But to each his own.

You're right, $25 is cheap insurance, and we do spend stupid amounts of money on these things anyways.

Maybe it was an out of spec lower? Or worn pin holes?

Finally done! Huge thanks to RUTGERS95! 

MC87Rqr.jpg

bAAz3oZ.jpg

Specs:

Palmetto State Armory Blemished Lower

Palmetto State Armory PTAC 16" Upper

Stag Arms Lower Parts Kit

Magpul BAD Lever

Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard

Magpul AFG

Mako Pistol Grip

Magpul MOE Stock
Yankee Hill Machine Phantom Toothed Brake

Mil Spec Heavy Duty Buffer Kit

OXshSjv.jpg

Finally got optics mounted. Eotech 512 with Primary Arms Magnifier 3x

came out nice, but what are you doing for sights/optics?

What is the PSA PTAC line exactly? is it just their "value" line or what? are the barrels chrome lined?

Don't know exactly what the PTAC stands for. But the barrels are chrome lined. 

Looks good! When are you shooting it?

She has about 30 test rounds through her, but will be going to OBRPC this weekend to put some serious amounts of lead down range.