leahcim

9mm Carry options

I went to the range the other day to try out several different carry pistols in 9mm.

What do you guys think of my choices and assessment?  I am sure there are other models to consider out there as well.  ANy other opinions, advise, or comments?  Thanks!

Here is what I looked at:

I am leaning toward 2 guns: Taurus or M&P, and Glock 26:

Taurus PT709 Slim (7+1)
I was not looking for this gun when I went in, but I saw it on the range and thought about Jesse Duff, and it looked nice
so I figured I would give it a try.  And it turned out to have one of the best shot groupings and felt pretty good to shoot it.
Liked the trigger pull on this one.

S&W M&P 9C (12+1)
I am really looking at the M&P Shield 9 (8+1), but this was the closest range gun.
I like the shield for its small and slim size, but I also liked this a lot and it is not too much bigger.  Groupings were
similiar to the Taurus, I reckon the Shield groupings would not be quite as good as this one.

Glock 26 (8+1)
Liked the way it shot.  Groupings were very good, but not quite as tight as the Taurus and M&P.  Liked the trigger pull once
I got used to it.  I do not especially like the extra lever on the trigger (I guess it is the safety) but I got used to
that too.

Beretta Px4 3.2" (13+1)
I really wanted to like the Beretta because I have a 92FS already--which I like--and the Px4 is pretty similar in terms of
control placement and feel.  Shot gorupings were okay, but not quite as good as the Taurus and S&W M&P
Beretta Px4 3.0"
This was similar to the 3.2", but this particular gun constantly jammed--every shot!  But I attribute that to the range
maybe not cleaning or maintaining/checking it well enough.

Springfield XD subcompact
This one looked and felt nice, but I did not find the shot placement and grouping to be very good.

I also noticed several of these pistols (Springfield, S&W, Taurus) had a fairly large/long trigger guard and did not
accomodate my usual grip.  I am sure I would get used to it, but is that normal for compact/subcompact pistols?
Or is it just me?

I like the Shield out of the ones you have mentioned, above.  Plus S&W stands behind their products and there are already a lot of aftermarket parts, sights, holsters, etc. for the Shield.  The Shield has a completely different feel to it than the 9C... much thinner and might not be as comfortable for someone with large hands.

The Taurus could be a nice bargain, and Taurus has a lifetime warranty, I believe.  If you are considering that route, you might also check out the Bersa.

I like the Shield out of the ones you have mentioned, above.  Plus S&W stands behind their products and there are already a lot of aftermarket parts, sights, holsters, etc. for the Shield.  The Shield has a completely different feel to it than the 9C... much thinner and might not be as comfortable for someone with large hands.

The Taurus could be a nice bargain, and Taurus has a lifetime warranty, I believe.  If you are considering that route, you might also check out the Bersa.

Yeah I did look at the shield in the gunstore, but they did not have one for the range.  I think the Taurus was pretty similar size with the M&P Shield, and I liked the feel of the Taurus.

I like the S&W a lot, plus the fact that it is made in the USA, but I was suprised by how much I like the Taurus also.

I have a shield and a 9c. Personally I like the shield. I found the trigger on the shield to be perfect. I am able to conceal the shield easier. I have medium sized hands so it fits nicely. I got really good groups at 10 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Compared to the Shield, the 9c (and the XD SC for that matter) is faaaaaat.

I like the Shield and XDs because they are "single stack-ish" and since I'm a skinny guy I like the thinner guns because they're easier to hide without printing.

Are you saying the PPS is fat?  It's single stack about .9" thick.  It's a slim gun.  Very easy to CC.

Walther PPS.  Shoots nice, accurate, and a well built gun.  There was one for sale here recently.

+1

If you want a pocket gun, the Walther is nice. I haven't shot the shield yet, so I can't compare the two.

While my carry gun is a Springfield XD subcompact, I'd really prefer to have an XDm Compact. It's the same gun with a slimmer slide and a barrel that is 3.8" compared to the XD SC's, which is only 3".

With that said, you want a gun that is going to go bang every time. I am disappointed that the XD's ability to discharge a round relies on a small, thin roll pin that holds the striker in place (striker retaining pin). I had mine crack and I did notice it, but didn't realize what an integral part it is. When half the pin slipped through my firearm was unable to strike a primer on a cartridge. I have since replaced the pin with an upgraded part. Glocks IMO should have the guide rod replaced with a metal one, I had one of those break, albeit I am the third owner and the gun is over 10 years old. 

Yes--I included the Bertta because I like my 92FS, but I honestly did not think it shot as well as the bigger M&P 9c or the slim Taurus PT709.  So I will probably go with one of those.

And I should add that I shot the Px4 first, so the grouping could have been me plus the fact that the range gun jammed on every shot and misfired at least once.

The second Px4 (3.2") was better, but groupings still not as good as the M&P or Taurus.

What? Where did I mention the PPS?

I only said the 9c and XD Subcompact were fat.

No problem - I just misread your post.  I thought you meant that the PPS was fat compared to all 3.  Sorry about that.

Glock or Springfield out of that list. None of them would be my first choice, but out of the ones listed those are it. Taurus may have a lifetime warranty, but god help you if you actually need to use it. Their customer service has never been very good.

What are your top choices?

I kind of thought that about the Taurus--it shot pretty well but I think I would get better service and made in the USA with the M&P.  It did shoot nice though.

Walther PPS is an outstanding firearm. I am so good with that gun. But the weird mag release combined with the low capacity relegate it to BUG category as far as I am concerned.

I looked at the PPS at Cabela's and--without having shot it--I really liked the feel and size.  I thought it could hold the same number of rounds as the Shield.

I haven't found anything in that size (i.e. slim single stack) that held more than 8 rounds.

Price on the PPS is about $100-$150 more than the shield--is it really that much better than the S&W?

I uave had two experiences with the pps. Both very negative. Neither would feed our hollowpoint ammo. Both had to be sent back to walther and one was sold and the other is still at walther

Well, that's no good. That pretty much seals the deal for me. It is an awesome range gun, though.

Why are you worried about HPs? I don't consider it a home defense gun (and you don't carry at home), and I didn't think you could carry HPs in public off duty (it's certainly not a duty gun).