Sign in to follow this  
Bully

Good .357 Load In A Carbine?

I'm looking for a good, accurate load in a .357 carbine length barrel with a 1-16 rh twist.  I have some LSWC, 158 with 12gn of 2400 and they are all over the place.  Do I need to bump up/down my charge or change bullets/weight/shape.  I have a s&%t load of powder in the barrel as well.  No real leading, though.  The rounds are all over the place at 50yds.  I'm not looking for a sub MOA gun, but I'd like to be in the "zone" at 50.

Any help would be appreciated.

Christopher

Lots of unburnt powder in the barrel is a sign that pressure isn't getting high enough. Add more powder!!  I'd also possibly try a magnum primer if you have any, although that's not going to make a lot of difference. Right now you're getting an inconsistent burn and therefore your pressure is going to be all over the place. I bet if you chronoed the bullets, you'd see a very wide spread and well under what that bullet needs to properly stabilize.  

Work up your load slowly and I'm willing to bet you'll see better results with higher charges.

I'm using 14.5gr of 2400 under a 158gr SJSP with mag primers.  Are you using mag primers?  2400 is a slow burning powder and it sounds like your getting an inconsistent burn from low pressure.  You need to use hard cast if you shoot lead with mag loads.  Softer lead heads may lead to leading in the barrel.  Try bumping up the charge and use mag primers.  Make a test sample of 5 rounds and see how they fly.

If your loading them light to go for a "softer" round, 2400 isn't the best choice.  You need to use a faster burning powder such as Unique.  I use Unique for my softer mag rounds.  2400 is better suited to mag type loads.

And again, thanks.

Dave, I have looked at these and the crimp seems solid but I am looking into the separate crimp die at this time.

Sig, I don't necessarily load down with 2400.  I feel it's the wrong powder as well for that purpose.  I also like to start below the max and work up.  I currently don't have any mag primers on hand but am looking.

I think I'm gonna blow thru these and start fresh.

C

I'll assume you have the newer style Ballard rifling, and not Microgroove?

Have you tried the faster burning powders like Unique, 231, 700X, Bullseye? 12 grs. of 2400 seems a bit on the low side for a slow burning powder. 2400 is notorious for lots of residue and unburnt grains.

I'm not putting it thru a lever action.  It's actually a bolt action.  I'm using 2400 as I want something pretty hot.  I'm trying to work a load for accuracy and then will be looking into heavier bullets for hunting.  I'm just new to everything.  Thanks a bunch for the help, all.

I'll assume you have the newer style Ballard rifling, and not Microgroove?

Have you tried the faster burning powders like Unique, 231, 700X, Bullseye? 12 grs. of 2400 seems a bit on the low side for a slow burning powder. 2400 is notorious for lots of residue and unburnt grains.

Oh, you have the Ruger bolt-action. Nice.

Go to Hodgdon's on-line reloading data. Select .357 Mag. data for 'rifle.' I've had good luck with heavy loads using H110 and IMR4227 with the 158 gr. bullet. With Alliant's 2400 you can go to almost 15 grs. with the 158 gr. jacketed bullet.