Sign in to follow this  
7-3-2

help me decide

So I finally got my okay to go pick up my permit. When I first applied I had my mind set on a 357 revolver either the GP or 686. Since the P.D. took 6 months to issue the permit I now can't make up my mind .. here are my choices.

357 revolver GP/686

1911 Sr1911 or Spartan

Fnx 40 or P-01

or a pocket 9.

Right now I have a m&p 9 and the sp101 22lr if that helps. So just which of these guns appeal most you and why?

I own a Spartan on 45acp it was my first 1911 and I like it even more now. It has been setup to do Single Stack on USPSA matches and it gets better the more I use it. I don't own or have tried any of your other options so I can't say anything about them. If you have not tried a Spartan before you are welcome to try mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

So I finally got my okay to go pick up my permit. When I first applied I had my mind set on a 357 revolver either the GP or 686. Since the P.D. took 6 months to issue the permit I now can't make up my mind .. here are my choices.

357 revolver GP/686

1911 Sr1911 or Spartan

Fnx 40 or P-01

or a pocket 9.

Right now I have a m&p 9 and the sp101 22lr if that helps. So just which of these guns appeal most you and why?

I would avoid teh FNX40.  It is just not a mainstream gun and there must be a reason why. I would get an M&P 40 if I wanted something in .40 and was a big fan of the S&W M&P 9.  P-01 might be hard to find.  Do you want to expand to .45 ACP... and get a 1911?  M&P 45 is awesome as well.  You might want to consider a SP101 in .357.  That would be somewhat of a carry gun, over the GP100 and would have the same feeling as your SP101 in .22LR.  Your decision would also be based on availability.  If you are able to carry, then consider a compact or subcompact 9mm.  I would check out a S&W M&P Shield or an XDS 9. 

To my thinking, though, you need a Glock.

I would avoid teh FNX40.  It is just not a mainstream gun and there must be a reason why. I would get an M&P 40 if I wanted something in .40 and was a big fan of the S&W M&P 9.  P-01 might be hard to find.  Do you want to expand to .45 ACP... and get a 1911?  M&P 45 is awesome as well.  You might want to consider a SP101 in .357.  That would be somewhat of a carry gun, over the GP100 and would have the same feeling as your SP101 in .22LR.  Your decision would also be based on availability.  If you are able to carry, then consider a compact or subcompact 9mm.  I would check out a S&W M&P Shield or an XDS 9. 

To my thinking, though, you need a Glock.

Not interested in glocks that is why I chose the M&P originally, I'm also looking into getting something with a hammer this time aroun in order just to expand my comfort with controls.

I like my 686+ 7 shot

also the M&P shield 9mm

how many permits did you get?

Only 1 permit this time around as I barely have the funds to purchase this one let alone 3 lol.

I'd say 1911, and of those 2 the ruger is an excellent choice. You should be able to get one under $700 on Gunbroker. Springfield's are another really good choice in that general price range. 

The STI spartan is a decent gun, but I think the fit and finish is better on the sr1911 and springfield. The frame and slide for the Spartan are made by RIA and fitted with internals to meet STI's specs. (RIA makes a good entry level 1911, but it's not as good as the sr1911 or Springfield offerings)

If you can spend a little more, the Sig 1911's are better than both in my opinion by a large margin. I see them on Gunbroker go for $700-800 depending on model. I bought my Sig 1911 traditional RTSS for $815 shipped. 

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-traditional-reverse-two-tone.aspx

A word of warning, 1911's are addictive :)

Go with a 1911.  If you don't want to add .45 to your inventory you could always go for a 9mm 1911.

In regards to pocket pistols, I have the Kahr PM40 and really like it.  So go with the 9mm version - PM9.

I have the GP100 in .327 rather than .357 and like it a lot so far. It's my first handgun. Couldn't find itjnin .357 at the the time. Built like a tank and rather affordable (I paid around $550) though not as refined as the S&W 686+.

The Ruger SR1911 is a beautiful looking gun......

What are you going to be using your new gun for?

I'd say 1911, and of those 2 the ruger is an excellent choice. You should be able to get one under $700 on Gunbroker. Springfield's are another really good choice in that general price range. 

The STI spartan is a decent gun, but I think the fit and finish is better on the sr1911 and springfield. The frame and slide for the Spartan are made by RIA and fitted with internals to meet STI's specs. (RIA makes a good entry level 1911, but it's not as good as the sr1911 or Springfield offerings)

If you can spend a little more, the Sig 1911's are better than both in my opinion by a large margin. I see them on Gunbroker go for $700-800 depending on model. I bought my Sig 1911 traditional RTSS for $815 shipped. 

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-traditional-reverse-two-tone.aspx

A word of warning, 1911's are addictive :)

That Sig is nice, most likely whatever I end up getting might have to be transferred from gunbroker so Ill look into them and see what I can find at a good price

Go with a 1911.  If you don't want to add .45 to your inventory you could always go for a 9mm 1911.

In regards to pocket pistols, I have the Kahr PM40 and really like it.  So go with the 9mm version - PM9.

Yeah I want a 45 but theyre just too damn expensive to shoot, but I think I would stay true to the roots of the 1911 and stick with 45 cap if I decide to go that route.

I have the GP100 in .327 rather than .357 and like it a lot so far. It's my first handgun. Couldn't find itjnin .357 at the the time. Built like a tank and rather affordable (I paid around $550) though not as refined as the S&W 686+.

The Ruger SR1911 is a beautiful looking gun......

What are you going to be using your new gun for?

I wanted the wiley clap version of the GP when I first applied for my permit but the timeframe and all the waiting made it a much tougher decison now. The gun of course will be mostly just a fun range tool and if I like it better than my m&p I might turn it into my HD piece too.

So I went ahead and picked up my newest addition today the SR1911, I wanted the commander but when I held the fullsize it felt so right I just grabbed it up. My first 1911 and I cant wait to shoot it! Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Lol I'm in love with this thing already ... Problem is 1911's are generally too much coin for my tastes so I doubt I can afford a full bag of chips .. lol.

Congratz on the SR1911...

I currently have the family bag of chips and growing,  Pretty soon their going to be calling me Duggar. I have another one awaiting permit...

Congratz on the SR1911...

I currently have the family bag of chips and growing,  Pretty soon their going to be calling me Duggar. I have another one awaiting permit...

Well maybe I can afford to eventually have a snack sized bag of chips but family sized? I doubt that is in my future, at least not anytime soon lol. Regardless, I am still playing with this thing in anticipation for my next range visit.