Howard

Primary HD "Weapons"

Are huskies OK in our sweltering NJ environment? I was thinking they were the perfect dog if you lived way up in Maine or Michigan.

Huskies are okay in the heat around here... you just have to take precautions when it gets hot. (The owner must do his/her job.) I have a 70 lbs. 4 year old Shepski (German Shepard/Husky mix) and he's pretty smart about the heat. He stays indoors when we're at work (no unsupervised outside for him) and we keep the thermostat set to 75. (My 6 foot fence is not tall enough to trust that he won't make it over. He probably could.)

When we're outside he know's when enough play is enough, when to lay in the shade, and I make sure he has lots of water, and he loves ice cubes. And worst case... he knows when to go back into the A/C. 

Here's my big goof ball, Bandit.

Bandit01.jpg

Their coats insulate both heat and cold. Mine sunbathe on the blacktop when it is 95 out. They hate humidity though. We have an electric fence that they never cross. They will chance deer and lots of small animals but stop dead before crossing the perimeter.

Thanks, Wink. I love that bug lug.

We got him from his original owner the day before he was to be given to the pound. My girlfriends boss knew we just bought our house and that I was pestering her to get a dog. His daughter's boyfriend was Bandit's owner. He was laid off and had to move back home with his parents. His mom was suffering from a chronic illness and just couldn't handle the hyperactive pooch. The original owner managed to put off putting him up for adoption for 3+ months, hoping his luck would change and he could move back out of his folks house and keep the dog, but it wasn't meant to be. We met him, he took to us immediately, and we brought him home. 

Hey Zap... what you have to do is plead for an Irish wolfhound or a great dane something else enormous... and then you can sweet talk her into a "smaller" dog. (That's how we "compromised" and I got Bandit. I was originally angling for one of those myself.) 

Everyone here has a spectacular lookin' dog! And I'm not just saying that! You look out for them... and they'll look out for you!