carl_g

nj.com at it again...

They are claiming that NJ2AS is giving away a illegal firearm in trade for lobbying Christie..unreal how clueless they are.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/07/nj_group_offers_illegal_gun_in_contest_to_lobby_christie.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Nothing from NJ.com or its supporters shocks me anymore. Just read some of the comments to see what we're up against.

I'm glad we have Frank on our side. I wouldn't be able to stay as level headed as him.

Anyway, thank you NJ.com for the free advertisement for this important campaign.

I took this post form NJ2AS facebook page

Everyone contact Jarret Renshaw now. Read him the Terms & Conditions of the contest and demand a retraction and correction to his story.

Jarrett Renshaw/The Star-Ledger Stop following Jarrett Renshaw/The Star-Ledger Follow Jarrett Renshaw/The Star-Ledger
About Me: I cover the state's budget and politics, sometimes both at the same time. Proud father and husband and Philadelphia sports fan. Contact me at (609) 989-0379.
Zip Code: 08608

The author of the damn article even said it himself...

Frank Fiamingo, the founder and president the New Jersey Second Amendment Society, which is promoting the giveaway, said winners can select from the two other Jersey-legal guns or get a state-compliant version of the Sig Sauer M400.

Do they even read what they write?

I was wondering if you even read what you write. You obvious lack of impartiality is a disgusting for a journalist. You slander the NJ2AS for offering to sell an illegal assault weapon for most of the article then completely contradict everything you wrote by stating that they are offering another NJ legal firearm or a NJ compliant version of the m400 as a replacement. I hope they sue you and that biased rag you write for in regards to your slanderous article. Also, if you are going to write stories about firearms you should maybe try to educate yourself about firearms and the laws of our state. I bet you don't even know why said items are illegal in this state. Enjoy the flood of emails that are headed your way in regards to this pointless, contradictory article.

My email to him

I already emailed the author and suggest others do as well.  It's incredibly poor journalism (as if we haven't seen that in abundance) but it's also liable

I just emailed him. I won't say what I wrote, but I made it clear I was very displeased with him, and the article he wrote. 

Nothing from NJ.com or its supporters shocks me anymore. Just read some of the comments to see what we're up against.

I'm glad we have Frank on our side. I wouldn't be able to stay as level headed as him.

Anyway, thank you NJ.com for the free advertisement for this important campaign.

Most of the comments are pretty pro.. seems that just that oracle dude that doesn't get it.

Still a horribly one-sided and misleading article, though.

Oh well.. time to get another entry in the contest..

Just hot off with the guy. Gonna work on changing the title. I told him it was very misleading. What he did was googled the name of the gun and the standard model showed and it was illegal. So that's what he went by. I explained all the differences. Blah blah blah.

I noticed they changed the link in their article.. actually both articles that mention the contest.  It used to link to the contest page where you could submit an entry.  Now it links only to the rules and there's no way to get to the entry page.

It's listed as coming with a 30 round mag. I explained how whoever wins still has to go through a gun show with a back ground check. Also that in the pic there is no mag. And they even make 30 round mags blocked and pinned to 15 rounds. Told him the difference between and flash hider and brake. And the stock can be pinned and he wouldn't be able to tell

Just hot off with the guy. Gonna work on changing the title. I told him it was very misleading. What he did was googled the name of the gun and the standard model showed and it was illegal. So that's what he went by. I explained all the differences. Blah blah blah.

In other words:  He understands that he did second-rate research when it suited his agenda and only looked to change it when so many people called him on it...again.  Doesn't change the fact that the "reporter" who writes all the gun-related articles for that paper knows NOTHING about guns or NJ gun laws.

So, I got a reply. 

Mr. Renshaw

I just finished reading your article on NJ.com, about the New Jersey Second Amendment Society's firearm giveaway. I must say it is the most uninformed, backwards articles I have had the misfortune of reading.  To call that article 'journalism' is an insult to the profession. And to insult the New Jersey Second Amendment Society the way you did, is underhanded and despicable.  Its almost as if you have zero understanding of the contest rules, and gun laws in the State of New Jersey. And it strikes me that you most likely didn't even read about the contest, and instead used stereotypical buzzwords in an attempt to discredit an association that is attempting to help the LEGAL gun owners in the state. 

I cannot state enough how displeased I am with you, The Starledger, and NJ.com for writing, supporting, and publishing such an article. 

Sincerely,
         Michael XXXXXXX

^ The original email I sent him

Thanks for your comments, but I respectfully disagree. The gun being promoted in the advertisement is illegal in New Jersey. However, as the story states, New Jersey winners could receive the state-compliant version of the same gun. 

Again, I appreciate your comment .

Thank you.

^ His response

I now hope he stubs his pinky toe on the kitchen table, and steps on a lego.

Edited by djg0770
erased last name for privacy

Thanks for your comments, but I respectfully disagree. The gun being promoted in the advertisement is illegal in New Jersey. However, as the story states, New Jersey winners could receive the state-compliant version of the same gun.

A thing cannot be illegal.  It is an action that is illegal.  In this case possession of that gun is illegal in NJ.  But as the contest rules mention, and the author points out, NJ residents would receive a compliant version.. therefore there is no law broken.

The guy is a douche trying to push an agenda with bad reporting and got called on it.

I like Frank's response.

Unfortunately, Bryan Miller has lost touch with reality. I think it must be said that many of us have lost loved ones. Some of us have lost them in tragic accidents, perhaps they were killed by a drunk driver, or by medical malpractice. Anytime a loved one dies it is a tragedy to those who are left behind. However, Bryan Miller's brother was an FBI agent killed in the line of duty by a career criminal with a gun. Yes, that is tragic, but his brother's death is not a result of the misuse of a gun by an honest, law abiding citizen. He has no more right to use the death of his brother as an excuse to interfere with the right of the people to keep and bear arms, than I would to revoke driving privileges from good drivers because I lost a loved one to a drunk driver. It is time for Bryan Miller to find a different career. He has used the story of his brother's death as if it were a shield from criticism. It is not. Only a real coward would even think of doing such a thing and building a career out of repeating the same story over and over again. Bryan, it is WAY past time for you to move on to other endeavors. You voice is not needed here in New Jersey. We will guard our own rights, and you can find another way to utilize your story.

I posted a comment a while back. Something about how the failed leadership of the Star Ledger Editorial Board doesn't just cost them their own jobs, but the jobs of folks who have worked at the company for years.

Nj.com responded by not just deleting my comment, but all my comments, and my account.

I just spoke with him on the phone. I was pleasantly surprised by his willingness to engage in a polite debate. 

I think the two sides of this debate are veering so far apart on basic axioms that logical discussion is useless. Even if both sides use flawless logic, they well achieve different results based on differences in fundamental beliefs.

Mr Jarrett Renshaw is entitled to his own opinions. He is not entitled to his own facts.

But the legal standards protecting the press is a fairly high "actual malice." Best to point out his journalistic short-comings in an obvious and straight-forward way, and that's that.

Their problem isn't they don't get it, it is they can't sell it. That's why they sink ever lower to get any attention they can.

“This is unconscionable to be offering an illegal assault gun made to kill as many people as people, as quickly as possible, in order to get emails to get Gov. Christie to oppose gun control legislation,”

I'm getting REALLY tired of hearing this line.  Following that logic trail, if that is the sole purpose of this rifle, then why do the cops have them?  Cops are not tasked with "killing as many people as people [sic], as quickly as possible"

Definitely emailing the author as you all have done, completely irresponsible journalism!

This story was reposted at http://njtoday.net/2013/07/25/gun-group-offers-illegal-gun-as-prize-to-lobby-governor/.  A commenter noted the lie, and CMD media stated that the gun being sold is the Sig M400 ENhanced, which has a 30 round mag, and the M400 Hunter is the 10 round model.  They even posted a link to the Sig Sauer product description.  What the idiots neglected to mention is that the very link to the Enhanced model they posted clearly states under "Specifications" that a NJ compliant model is available.  I've tried to post a correction, but I don't think they are letting me do that.  Perhaps others should post there to challenge them.  I hope they get sued for defamation.