NJSigfan

Which primers with the Lee Loadmaster?

Hey sig fan let me know how ya made out. I recently purchased a load master. I haven't set it up yet, time... I use Federal primers mostly since they seem to be available most of the time. I've used a Lee turret press without incident.

I've read and researched enough about the Loadmaster and feel the problem may be on the lines of what mikeyjones said, but not limited to his statement as their could be other factors.

That being said with all the Federals I have, It'll be full steam ahead with the blast shield on the loadmaster!!!

Lee mentions that if you use primers other than CCI and Remington it cold result in an explosion.

It also recommends the use of the explosion shield for safety.

So if anyone has experience using federal primers in a Lee loadmaster I'd appreciate any feedback

Lee mentions that if you use primers other than CCI and Remington it cold result in an explosion.

It also recommends the use of the explosion shield for safety.

So if anyone has experience using federal primers in a Lee loadmaster I'd appreciate any feedback

Never used a Loadmaster but I've used several Pro1000's and I've used many different brands of primers without issue.  Like I said earlier, the reason they recommend CCI & Remington is that they have harder cups so are therefore more resistant to going off. 

If you're nervous about primers going off using other brands, just wear eye protection. 

Thanks Mikeyjones -

I always wear eyes when reloading. I guess I just need to grow a set and try new brands. :)

The only other issue you might experience is that the other brands don't slide so well in the stupid plastic chute that Lee uses. I took some very fine grit sandpaper and a small file and smoothed out that chute.  Then I would use powdered graphite every 1-2k rounds to keep things moving nicely.

I think they explicitly say not to use winchester and one other. If you google it you will find it. They say that they are not inferior primers but are more likely to explode when priming.

Read page two of the manual. It says CCI or remington primers only without explosion deflector. That leads me to think there's a higher probability of explosion with other brand primers. It's mentioned several times in the manual.

http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/LM3231.pdf

Use federal or winchester at your own risk.

Something must be seriously ill designed for a press to be that specific about primer types. I don't know of any other press that says that. I know I've loaded almost every type and brand* of primers out there on other presses with no issues. On the other hand most presses don't use the tray method to feed primers. I'd say get the shield and brave it.

*Did you know that Vihtavouri made primers? The shoot sparkly butterflies, seriously