RedBowTies88

Good Reason to Invest in Reinforced Doors

Couple was allegedly having a loud argument.  Neighbor called in domestic disturbance to police.  Responding officer reported hearing yelling and sobbing, called for backup.  Officers requested the couple come outside, they refused, forced entry and tasing followed.

The police's argument is this was an "exigent circumstance" and no warrant required. 

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20130515/multimedia/130519717

A video of Cotati police officers entering a home and using a Taser on a resident went viral this week, prompting questions about the officers' tactics and whether a citizen must open the door for police.

The video, which was filmed May 10, shows officers responding to a report of a domestic disturbance at an apartment on Marsh Way, Chief Michael Parish said.

An officer investigating the 3:48 p.m. call from a concerned citizen heard a man yelling and a woman sobbing in the backyard, Parish said.

He called for backup.

What followed was an encounter in part captured on video with resident James Wood's cellphone. It shows Wood, his wife and their roommate refusing to let police inside and stating there was no domestic violence issue. The officers kicked in the door and deployed at least one round of Taser darts on Wood after the man moved toward an officer grabbing his wife's arm.

Definitely need more then that to from an opinion.  99% of videos posted on youtube show police in a negative light.  As far as getting tased, I've heard its the worst 5 seconds of your life.

Could be a case of roid rage, causing extreme anger and the officers inability maintain an erection . The lack of hair is a dead giveaway. I'm no expert though, just an opinion.

Could be.

Also could be an Officer concerned for the safety of a woman in the community he serves who it appears to him, and apparently the citizen that called in the disturbance, is in danger and/or injured.

You know the easiest way to avoid this whole incident? Either don't hit your wife OR if that's not the case and it is just an argument, come outside and speak to the Cops like they asked.

I don't know about CA, but here in NJ we are mandated to investigate all claims of Domestic Violence and crimes associated with it. We also have no discretion on arrest in certain cases and are supposed to make arrests if someone obstructs our investigation.

anyway back to the video, lets say attempts to kick in the door fail.. what's the next step? start trying to break windows.

That's why this:

E71C3A2F-AD3D-48CD-A0F0-AF3A7D5B6FC4-866is in the trunk.

I have used it quite a few times to gain entry into the homes of sick or injured residents that couldn't unlock the door. I have also used it to stop a few aggravated assaults on women and children after being told "Everything is alright Officer. Just a little argument." By husbands/fathers through locked doors after being asked to come outside.

You know the easiest way to avoid this whole incident? Either don't hit your wife OR if that's not the case and it is just an argument, come outside and speak to the Cops like they asked.

I don't know about CA, but here in NJ we are mandated to investigate all claims of Domestic Violence and crimes associated with it. We also have no discretion on arrest in certain cases and are supposed to make arrests if someone obstructs our investigation.

Bingo I love and hate that rule at the same time

Mule kick the door... saw that happen... then saw the officer go to the hospital because he messed up his hip.

That's why I always spread wheel bearing grease on my porch before I beat the missus. You try and kick my door in your going down.

Such a catch 22 for the PD  They are either door kicking nazi oppressors or uncaring lazy do-nothings. 

In this case they responded to the residence in question, made contact with both sides of the offending couple and it was pretty clear to me that there was no further action needed. Had they only made contact with one side of the couple I could understand. however they were both there defending their residence

This video shows only 95 seconds of this incident from the perspective of the residents. You have no idea of the past history at this location, or what happened on the 15 minutes prior to them showing up.

You are going to bet that ladies safety on a reply through a closed door while still in earshot/control of the possible assaulter? I am not.

If there was truly no problem, why not open the door and speak face to face? If the couple didn't want the Police to come in their home, that's fine, they were asked to come out by the Police. Once that didn't happen, entry was made.

Soon as they start acting as if they are hiding something following a possible domestic, reasonable suspicion is present for DV and the argument could be made for probable cause. They definitely have PC for an obstruction arrest, and with kids in the house and a woman crying, they have a duty to investigate.

Again, all of this could have been avoided by both parties stepping outside and speaking with the Police for 2 minutes.

You don't want the Cops at your house, don't act in such a way that the neighbors call them on you. They didn't show up of their own volition just to kick this guys door in. :rolleyes:

I get the kicking in the door, even if the woman told the cops to go away. And who says the wife wasn't beating the husband. But what is with storming the residence, grabbing the woman, and tasering the male.

That looked more like a raid then anything. Hardly officers concerned with investigating domestic abuse. What else did they plan on doing once they got in that couldn't be done through a window? That's what boggles me.

And bad neighbors will call the cops for anything.

I do agree with the stupidity of the home owners to not walk outside.

When there is a non-issue, the caller should be held accountable like in swatting instances.

That's not fair either. Most people call the Police because they truly believe something bad is happening and the Police should be called. They don't know the people, their background, or the whole story. They see events unfolding through the lens of their own experience and frame of reference and they don't have the benefit of investigating, nor is that their job. If they thought they could get in trouble because they misintrepreted what they saw or heard, no one would call.

There is already law in plase that allows those that call the Police maliciously to be charged. The problem is proving it.

good points on both sides of the argument however, there should be a CLEAR reason to break the door in and taser someone.  From what I saw in that video, I don't see that reason.  As someone said earlier however, we are only getting 95 seconds worth

I'd be interested in following this story to see what happens.

In this case they responded to the residence in question, made contact with both sides of the offending couple and it was pretty clear to me that there was no further action needed. Had they only made contact with one side of the couple I could understand. however they were both there defending their residence

lol..after 95 seconds you ascertained that no furthet action was needed. Amazing. How many domestics have you responded to. They are one of the most complicated and volatile calls an officer gets. It still amazes me the stuff people speak on when they have absolutely no experience, besides 95 seconds of a youtube video.

If there was truly no problem, why not open the door and speak face to face?

Probably the same reason I never open the door to anyone I didn't invite. Including police and once a fed. If I did open the door to anyone, I would say especially police and feds.

If they have PC they are coming in whether I come out and talk to them or not. I'm not going to talk them out of it any more with an open door.

All we are arguing over, in the end, is a broken door, and whether or not they are going to try to bs later that I consented to their entry.

guadalupe-doormat.jpg

lol..after 95 seconds you ascertained that no furthet action was needed. Amazing. How many domestics have you responded to. They are one of the most complicated and volatile calls an officer gets. It still amazes me the stuff people speak on when they have absolutely no experience, besides 95 seconds of a youtube video.

Well let me ask then, at what point do you declare a false call for domestic violence? And from what i understand, action can only be taken when the person being abused decides to take action..

It's hard to say the person is being abused at that moment when both people are standing at the window telling the police to go away, no?

Why not enlighten us with your experience, instead of being so short? Or give us some insight on how these situations are handled..

If the woman wanted help she could have opened the door and walked out.. really not a better time to do it then when 4 cops are standing on the other side of the door..

Well let me ask then, at what point do you declare a false call for domestic violence? And from what i understand, action can only be taken when the person being abused decides to take action..

It's hard to say the person is being abused at that moment when both people are standing at the window telling the police to go away, no?

Why not enlighten us with your experience, instead of being so short? Or give us some insight on how these situations are handled..

After a face to face with all parties involved where the stories match and there are no other signs of DV. In short, when the investigation is complete. Even if the victim/person being abused doesn't want to press charges, the Police can and in some cases MUST make an arrest and press charges on the victim's behalf. If a LEO is involved as an alleged actor/defendant an arrest and criminal charges are mandatory. For all cases, any arrests or charges can be amended or dismissed at the discretion of the Judge during a trial/hearing. This is after taking the factual basis on the record and listening to the testimony of the victim.

I have had a woman come to HQ 6 months after I arrested her husband. She thanked me for being thorough and seeing through the lies she was telling me because she was afraid of her husband. She said it gave her the strength and opportunity to get away from him for good.

I have broken in a door and stopped a guy in the process of beating his wife with a frying pan as she was telling me she was OK.

I have pretended to leave and waited outside a residence for someone to leave after not getting an answer but seeing the resident's car in the driveway and the house lights on. Finally a kid (20 yo male) ran out of the house, his face was all beat up, his hands were taped together with clear packing tape. His roommate was plastered and got pissed the victim ate his last Hot Pocket and wouldn't let him come to the door. The roomate ended up tying the victim up and threw him in his bedroom to keep him from answering the door or leaving after the fight. That kid needed some serious medical attention.

I had another where a man said everything was fine while sitting in a chair in his kitchen. He had actually been stabbed 3 times in the back with a kitchen knife while he was sleeping but was embarrassed to have the Cops come and stop his girlfriend from "beating him up". Medics arrived and said he had about 20 minutes before it went from a Medic call to a Coroner call.

These were all called in by concerned neighbors/residents and all occurred in the last year. There are dozens more incidents like this but I think you get the picture.

If the woman wanted help she could have opened the door and walked out.. really not a better time to do it then when 4 cops are standing on the other side of the door..

I am glad for you that you still think like this. It means your life has never been tainted by the stink of abuse of domestic violence.

Unfortunately, abused spouses and children rarely have the strength or courage to act as you described. DV is a powerful phenomenon that destroys not just families but individuals. It breaks them down to their basest level of fear and supplication. If they didn't have the courage to leave after the first incident, they will never have it after the 5th, 10th, or 100th incident.

Edited to respond to JackDaWack's edited post.

The control that DV aggressors have over their victims would absolutely astound you. It takes a LOT to get some victims to even consider opening up.

ETA: Beaten by HE, very well said sir.

The only way they shouldn't of used a taser is if the knocked him on his ass with a baton. The police were responding to a domestic call. Not only did neither adult step outside they are trying to hide behind invasion of privacy. If either spouse is being beaten you really think the are going to be willing to admit it in front of the abuser. Maybe both parents were beating the crap out of the kid and they are laying in a corner somewhere. If they had stepped outside and nothing was going on this would of been over in two minutes. Also the officer didn't go in there all ragged up. He was very calm during the encounter.

When my daughter was younger she accidentally called 911. We spoke with the operator explained what happened. Five minutes later the police showed up. After putting my dog away I had him come in. Made sure everybody is ok and no issues. He didn't want to search the house or raid my safe. Never left the kitchen. Over and done.

You have to take into account the officers respond to a call and encounter these jackasses. At this point the officers have no idea who these people are but they are supposed to take their word that everything is ok?

I am all for privacy and our freedom but there is a time to suck it up and cooperate as humans.

That's exactly why i asked.... It's not that i think like that, it's that i do not have experience with it..

My only real gripe with the situation was after they entered, i don't feel like they were contributing to the situation by acting extremely hostile.. typically in these situations you wouldn't want to give the person your trying to help any reason to be afraid of you.. Like you guys are saying its already hard for these people to open up to you..