5th4x4

Build at last!

5th4x4, any updates on your progress? Some of us are heading to EFGA (Easton Fish and Game Ass.) this Sunday in case you want to come and meet some people and check out some other AR's.

5th4x4, any updates on your progress? Some of us are heading to EFGA (Easton Fish and Game Ass.) this Sunday in case you want to come and meet some people and check out some other AR's.

On the first point, yes, there has been progress, so I really should provide some updates. Unfortunately it's a bit of a buzzkill that my dig-cam has now officially bit the dust, since pictures speak louder than words. So in lieu of pictures, you're all stuck with just 'words' for the moment.

(I'll go to a plan B regarding pics though, so stand by for that).

The rifle is officially built! So aside from a mag (ordered, but apparently the last item to actually be delivered) I'm gtg!

I slapped the handguards on yesterday (and I've been negligent about thanking checko/Chris for shipping them off to me. Sorry bro. But just so you know, I'm definitely liking the look and feel!).

I had also acquired and mounted the most basic of iron sights (rear); a Knight's Armament 600m Micro, courtesy of a fellow jarhead. Lacks visual 'pop' but it sights just fine for me (for now, at least).

Speaking of "for now"....

I've already swapped out a few basic items for different preferential choices; The lower PK came with a basic pistol grip and trigger guard. I upgraded to a BCM Gunfighter grip and a Magpol enhanced trigger guard. Much better!

Lesson learned.... I should have purchased the trigger parts separately and saved myself a few dollars (including shipping costs).

NOTE TO POTENTIAL FIRST TIME AR BUILDERS: Learn from my mistake. Buy what you need, and buy what you want, but don't just buy to "get'er done" quick. You'll only end up spending more $ in the long run.

(my impetuous nature has truly worked against me throughout this build process : /  )

The bottom-line is that this was totally worth doing. Therefore I definitely appreciate the encouragement from you guys to build instead of buy.

I do feel somewhat short-changed by my (impetuous) decision to buy a fully assembled upper instead of building it. But my upper is sweet... so I doubt that I would have ended up with the BCM if I had actually built it from scratch.

My rifle is not the 'looker' that most of you guys post pictures of, but it's beautiful as far as I'm concerned - and I'm sure to add more to it over time.

I'll post some pics as soon as I have time/a plan B.

As per the second point, I think it would be great to head out to PA and meet some of you guys, but I'm really backed-up on work these days, and that's a lot of hours that I really can't afford to spend on 'play' at the moment.

(btw, most of my 'play' time lately has actually been spent here on the NJGF site! So that right there tells you where my playtime preferences gravitate)

But anyway, please don't let this 'no' dissuade any further offers. 

(because as George Costanza would say, "I'm down!")

Congrats, glad to here you got it all together can't wait to see those pictures, and a range report once you get it out there.  Every time I read this thread it makes me want to build an AR, I just can't decide which to build though.

I slapped the handguards on yesterday (and I've been negligent about thanking checko/Chris for shipping them off to me. Sorry bro. But just so you know, I'm definitely liking the look and feel!).

Glad you like them. You can thank me by giving me some good feedback ;).

Ok.

Long overdue, so I quick borrowed a camera.

Not a lot of features to WoW the eye - just a basic grunt rifle right now. 

r2.jpg

r9c2.jpg

Just some proof that my primitive set of tools managed to build this lower without a scratch.

r4c.jpg

I really like that Gunfighter grip a lot. Feels perfect.

r3.jpg

Above and below pics of the handguards that I got from checko. I had spent hours scouring the web looking for the handguard that would make me say, "that's the one!", and here it was directly under my nose here in this forum. Those are exactly what I was envisioning for this rifle.

r7.jpg

r5.jpg

I think it's cool how this muzzle brake incorporates the look of both the rails and the handguards. 

The top picture actually provides the best view for that, but I just wanted to provide a close up for anyone who might be considering muzzle brake options at the moment. 

The parts:

Spikes Tactical lower receiver

Spikes Tactical lower receiver parts kit

Mil-Spec receiver extension w/H2 buffer/spring kit

BCM 16" M4 Carbine upper receiver (complete)

BCM bolt carrier group

BCM Gunfighter charging handle (Mod 4)

BCM Gunfighter grip (Mod 1)

Magpul enhanced trigger guard

Knights Armament Micro rear sight

Diamondhead handguards (via checko)

Yankee Hill Phantom muzzle brake (M2 version)

Magpul 15/20 M3 PMAG (via MidwestPX)

Magpul CTR stock (for now. And soon for sale or trade)

Magpul Enhanced buttpad

And that's really all there is to her as of right now. As I said, just a basic grunt rifle. 

(and HD gear is on the way right now)

Ok, so pictures have now been posted. Whew! Pressures off : P

Oh.... and for anyone considering a build...... DO IT !!!

Very Nice. Enjoy. Good Luck with it. See we told you that is the way to go.

Started building number two yet?

NO! Have you found some magic pills against BRD?

No pills. I'm fully (and happily) diseased : P

And number two begins as soon as number one stops tapping the CC.

Looks good finally.. Ya need range time. Me too... Gotta re sight new rifle.. During week mornings as usual if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

That's a nice looking rifle my friend. Its not that "basic" either. Lots of good, quality parts in that build.

If and when you get rid of that ctr think if me ;). I need a stock and debating black or OD green

Well, "basic" as in appearance.

No fancy optics, no rails loaded down with accessories (not yet, anyway).

But it'll get tricked-out a bit with a new WML (delivered tomorrow?), and eventually with some sort of an optic (since even an old salt jarhead needs to learn new tricks). So at some point this rifle will display a bit of gear.

But I do have to admit... the stark ferocity of how she looks right now makes me proud to have her : )

As for the quality of parts..... I took my cues from all of you guys that were with me from the very beginning on this, so I am grateful for all of the outstanding guidance and suggestions that I received.

All of your suggestions led me to learn more about the options that were available out there, and the deeper I got into it, the more I learned - because this build really meant alot to me, and I wanted to build what I wanted to have - which is a rifle that I could really rely upon and call my own.

I know that there are some "weaknesses" in spots (or at least "weak" compared to some of the other strengths), but it's really not easy to go from Gov-Issue, "here, this is yours to shoot - just don't lose it", to building your own from scratch - and without any prior knowledge of what actually goes into building these things. Especially when all I really knew going into this was that I could seriously shoot the sh!t out of one of these things at one point - decades ago. 

As for the CTR.... the one I got is black. So if you decide to go with black, I've got one that is pin-ready (right above the friction lever). So... 1/8 pin... tap-tap.... neutered.

She's a beaut! Don't forget the range report!

Pffffftttt.... even if I ack the range myself at this point, I'll still be yapping about the rifle. So yeah... the range report will be shared.

Looks good finally.. Ya need range time. Me too... Gotta re sight new rifle.. During week mornings as usual if you want.

I remain starved for get-away free-time these days, but maybe(?) Thursday(??).

Lets PM after the weekend and see how our scheds line up. WP is truly my best bet right now - since it's so close and I don't have a whole lot of free time right now - so let's talk about this more later.   

Very nice job...

I appreciate all of the encouragement that I received here. You guys have been great(!) and there is NO WAY that I would ever have thought that I would actually build a rifle (especially a black one!) as opposed to buying something completely different.

And ok, I cheated on the upper - but still.

It was due to impatience + that beautiful BCM offer that was just too much to pass up. And besides... it was Lalo who derailed my upper build by setting me astray with that link to the BCM upper in the first place. So he deserves all of the blame/CREDIT for that ; )

(and I wouldn't undo that decision at all)

Again guys, THANK YOU for:

Welcoming me here.

Convincing me to build instead of buy.

For fielding all of my questions.

For offering suggestions and links.

For looking out for my slip-ups.

And for supporting me throughout.

I am truly grateful to each of you!

And hopefully I will get the chance to someday go out shooting with some/all of you : )

I know that there are some "weaknesses" in spots (or at least "weak" compared to some of the other strengths), but it's really not easy to go from Gov-Issue, "here, this is yours to shoot - just don't lose it", to building your own from scratch - and without any prior knowledge of what actually goes into building these things. Especially when all I really knew going into this was that I could seriously shoot the sh!t out of one of these things at one point - decades ago. 

What do you mean there?

Btw, I do really like how the comp goes with the handguards.  Cool look. 

What do you mean there?

Btw, I do really like how the comp goes with the handguards.  Cool look. 

Which "there"?

Weaknesses?

If so, trigger assembly, I guess. There is another build thread here somewhere where the OP asked questions about the lower/lpk. I then inquired as to where my own lpk stacked up, and I recall that it is was declared to be in the 'average' or 'middle of the road' range. (ouch)

So while that may not be a weakness per se, it doesn't exactly match the quality of everything else that I sought for this rifle as my build progressed beyond the lower. (although the lower itself is quality, right? Spikes? You gotta remember, I had zero frame of reference regarding any of this stuff when I began my build. All I knew was Colt. Period)

I'll assume that the "what do you mean there" doesn't apply to the "just don't lose it" part of my statement - since that's a pretty big duh ; )

If you're referring to my not knowing what goes into building one from scratch, then yes, I didn't really know. I've field stripped the M16 of course, but that's not the same thing as acquiring and matching all of the components for myself - and especially not in a gun-hating state. So if that's what you mean, then that's what I meant.

If it was my "decades" statement that you are referencing, then well, yeah... I'm not exactly a young buck anymore. After all, President Reagan was my Commander in Chief. And that was decades ago. And while I did get to fire an AR type rifle post-Corps (although it may actually have been one of those "lost" M16s for all I know - since it did have fully automatic capability), I have to say that I haven't really come across ANY opportunities to fire or acquire another one since then; which was in the mid-late 80's I guess.  

Anyway, one of those explanations above probably answers your "what do you mean" question.

As for that comp... yeah, totally matches the sleek look of the handguards. It's like they come as part of a set or something. Nice! : )

FYI - Palmetto State Armory has some really good deals on red dots this weekend...  Vortex Strikefire, Sparc, or Aimpoint Pro...

Damn you Krdshrk!!! : P

That said.... if anyone has any experience with any of those (well... not the $400 one! Too rich for my budget right now) then please share. 

And btw, my eyes aren't as spry as they used to be, so I'm thinking that I'll be needing some magnification for distance. I figured I'd mention that in case it factors into the equation.

(freakin' Krdshrk trying to spend more of my money and preying on my weakness of being an impulse buyer!)

Not a "super cool brand name" optic but Primary Arms makes really good stuff. I run this on one of my ARs and so far it hasn't disappointed. That and the price is right.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-Micro-Dot-with-Removable-Base-p/md-06l.htm

ETA - I also run the Vortex Strikefire that's available from PSA. Only gripe I have with this is the size, it's a little on the long side and of course a little heavier than the Primary Arms Micro Dot. The 1x magnifier that's included is worthless and I haven't had the need to use the green dot yet. Strikefire has a 4moa dot, Primary Arms Micro Dot has a 3moa dot. I prefer the Micro Dot over the Stikefire.

Not a "super cool brand name" optic but Primary Arms makes really good stuff. I run this on one of my ARs and so far it hasn't disappointed. That and the price is right.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-Micro-Dot-with-Removable-Base-p/md-06l.htm

ETA - I also run the Vortex Strikefire that's available from PSA. Only gripe I have with this is the size, it's a little on the long side and of course a little heavier than the Primary Arms Micro Dot. The 1x magnifier that's included is worthless and I haven't had the need to use the green dot yet. Strikefire has a 4moa dot, Primary Arms Micro Dot has a 3moa dot. I prefer the Micro Dot over the Stikefire.

I run AImpoint Pro on both of my ARs... but if I were on a budget Primary Arms would be my choice.. 

Your first build but looks like not your first time using a camera. Very well done angles. Looks like from a magazine.

And with regard to that hand guard, if you try adding any Magpul stuff to it, like adding a mini rail, the bolts that come with the rail are not long enough to catch. I had that rail on my Stag and I added an AFG. Had to go to Depot and buy longer bolts (screws)

I have both the Vortex SPARC and Strikefire - no issues with each.  SPARC is a small optic - smaller 2MOA dot.  Strikefire is longer - shaped sorta like an Aimpoint.  4MOA dot on that.  Both come with a screw-on "Doubler" - 2x Magnifier.  I don't use those.