5th4x4

Build at last!

Building ar15 is easy.... Figure out what you want to do with it primarily... And then order parts around that... Most uses have pretty standard recipe... For example if you your going to primarily run and gun you would not likely use a magnified scope and 20in barrel...

As stated there are some parts you cant have.. No collapsible stock... No flash hider... No bayonet lug... If you get a barrel that is threaded you need a brake permanently attached...

The "build" part is pretty easy...

I would personally try to spend a little more on a good trigger... There is IMO a huge difference between a cheap parts kit trigger, and a $200 trigger...

op, you should really team up with someone and have them help you throughout the whole process.  If you lived closer, I'd offer to help and build it for you.

be mindful of the laws, no sense getting in trouble for making a mistake or not doing enough research.

I've been getting so much great information and advice here. The above advice included. I'm very appreciative, believe me! 

The advice to go slow is one of the tougher things for me put into practice, but I did take a slight pause before I made the purchase on the lower receiver (I allowed anyone here to stop me.... as long as they did so quickly :p ).

Anyway, even that proved to be too quick, as I didn't have an FFL already lined up. and therefore I sh!t the bed when it came to the shipping address part (lesson learned!).

When it comes to research.... I've reached saturation levels at times (I really do read a lot!). So I've definitely been absorbing large amounts of information. But without possessing any practical familiarity with any of this info, some of that info becomes difficult to discern. I mean, I can read the specs on two different brands or styles or configurations, but I have no basis of understanding as to why one might be better than the other for my particular needs. I find that part to be pretty frustrating (and head-spinning).

But THAT is where I'm grateful to have the knowledge and experience of you guys! And I really do love seeing how passionate you guys are about this stuff. It really fires me up!

As for "teaming up" (btw, that offer was really nice, RUTGERS95!) I'm kinda expecting that you all here will be my virtual team. I'm actually quite confident (not cocky, but almost) about building this rifle; it's the choosing and compiling of the parts that I'm going to need the most help with. I'm really very good with my hands, and I'm pretty familiar with the rifle (per se), and I have no fear when it comes to challenges. And once those troublemakers in my intro thread planted the "build bug" in me, I've been hooked on this challenge ever since.

Ok, there has been a bit of "parts" talk that has been discussed in this thread, so I'll join in on that stuff now.................. 

Building ar15 is easy.... Figure out what you want to do with it primarily... And then order parts around that...

And there ya go! That's exactly it for me,  Solid insight!

I've already begun forming my needs regarding this rifle, so that is going to determine everything else that follows. 

Most uses have pretty standard recipe... For example if you your going to primarily run and gun you would not likely use a magnified scope and 20in barrel...

I'm thinking that my "run and gun" days were lived in an earlier part of my life. At this point I'm probably going to use this rifle for occasional trips to a range (unfortunately not on as many occasions as I might prefer), and since those ranges won't be anywhere near the size of a Marine Corps qual range, I won't necessarily be needing a long barrel. And I've never even used a scope before. I always used iron mil sights and had guys downrange pulling butts (marking the target after each impact). I can only imagine how different It would have been to see those targets through a scope. The 500 yd ones looked like a tiny dot off on the horizon!!!

Anyway, this will also be a home protection weapon, so I'm leaning towards the short barrel (which I realize comes with it's own legal ramifications that would need to be dealt with).

As stated there are some parts you cant have.. No collapsible stock... No flash hider... No bayonet lug... If you get a barrel that is threaded you need a brake permanently attached...

Yeah, it's the legal aspect that will force me to slow down a bit.

But ultimately I'm not looking to make myself a SWAT weapon. I just want to build it myself, and I just want to add the practical features that I need, And if any of those features give my weapon a fierce look, I'd be perfectly cool with that. But I've already experienced the joy of fully automatic fire, and all of those killing devices that can be attached to it. At this point I just want it to be practical.... and a little bit fierce for testosterone purposes.

Some parts of it probably easier than other parts, but yeah, I'm going into this thinking that it's just a step-by-step process. I actually can't wait to start, so I appreciate a statement like yours where you don't throw cold water on my confident ambitions. 

I would personally try to spend a little more on a good trigger... There is IMO a huge difference between a cheap parts kit trigger, and a $200 trigger...

This is what I really like about you guys; when you get into the range of options! 

That said, I'm guessing that my low-use of this weapon probably wouldn't require a high-end trigger. However, I still want to be able to count on everything working if I ever actually needed it to work! I don't know what they stick in those mil M16s, but I don't recall many (any?) trigger issues with those. And I have to assume that the mass-manufacture of those rifles for government issue purposes didn't include high-end triggers (although I really have no idea).

Therefore I want a good reliable trigger, but not something that is made for trigger connoisseurs.... or the price that goes along with it. My budget needs to stretch across the entire build. Therefore I'd prefer to build the type of rifle that I really need... + maybe a bit extra for some quality guts (but nothing too crazy!!).

Good post Vlad. You helped me narrow my thoughts into a forming a more productive game-plan. 

Buy this LPK now while its still in stock.

Spikes - http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTLPK101&name=Spike

Read minds much?? ;)

Btw, I haven't really researched grips yet, but that is something that I'm thinking (?) that I might want to purchase specifically (separately). 

So should I try to buy a PK that comes without a grip, or is the cost negligible when you factor in the greater number of options for those that come with one?

Btw, I gotta go meet my FFL guy now. So if I didn't adequately thank you for that link yesterday Jorge, allow me to do so now! Great find! Thanks for your effort in helping me!

Top of the line triggers are Geissele triggers - they're pricey though.  $250+

https://www.primaryarms.com/Geissele-AR15-Triggers-s/2579.htm

I went with an ALG Combat trigger.  It's an offshoot company of Geissele and keeps the original trigger dynamics.  Add on JP Springs and you've got a lighter trigger pull and crisp feel.

https://www.primaryarms.com/ALG-Defense-AR-15-Trigger-s/2572.htm

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-bottom-metals/trigger-parts/trigger-springs/ar-15-enhanced-reliability-spring-kits-prod32318.aspx

LPKs generally come with grips.  Standard pistol grip will be fine unless you want something really customized.  I personally prefer the Magpul MOE grip.

Here's a good Lower Build kit (includes stock/buffer/buffer spring/buffer tube):

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/build-kits/moe-lower-build-kit.html

Building ar15 is easy.... Figure out what you want to do with it primarily... And then order parts around that...

And there ya go! That's exactly it for me,  Solid insight!

I've already begun forming my needs regarding this rifle, so that is going to determine everything else that follows. 

Most uses have pretty standard recipe... For example if you your going to primarily run and gun you would not likely use a magnified scope and 20in barrel...

I'm thinking that my "run and gun" days were lived in an earlier part of my life. At this point I'm probably going to use this rifle for occasional trips to a range (unfortunately not on as many occasions as I might prefer), and since those ranges won't be anywhere near the size of a Marine Corps qual range, I won't necessarily be needing a long barrel. And I've never even used a scope before. I always used iron mil sights and had guys downrange pulling butts (marking the target after each impact). I can only imagine how different It would have been to see those targets through a scope. The 500 yd ones looked like a tiny dot off on the horizon!!!

Anyway, this will also be a home protection weapon, so I'm leaning towards the short barrel (which I realize comes with it's own legal ramifications that would need to be dealt with).

Yeah, it's the legal aspect that will force me to slow down a bit.

But ultimately I'm not looking to make myself a SWAT weapon. I just want to build it myself, and I just want to add the practical features that I need, And if any of those features give my weapon a fierce look, I'd be perfectly cool with that. But I've already experienced the joy of fully automatic fire, and all of those killing devices that can be attached to it. At this point I just want it to be practical.... and a little bit fierce for testosterone purposes.

Some parts of it probably easier than other parts, but yeah, I'm going into this thinking that it's just a step-by-step process. I actually can't wait to start, so I appreciate a statement like yours where you don't throw cold water on my confident ambitions. 

This is what I really like about you guys; when you get into the range of options! 

That said, I'm guessing that my low-use of this weapon probably wouldn't require a high-end trigger. However, I still want to be able to count on everything working if I ever actually needed it to work! I don't know what they stick in those mil M16s, but I don't recall many (any?) trigger issues with those. And I have to assume that the mass-manufacture of those rifles for government issue purposes didn't include high-end triggers (although I really have no idea).

Therefore I want a good reliable trigger, but not something that is made for trigger connoisseurs.... or the price that goes along with it. My budget needs to stretch across the entire build. Therefore I'd prefer to build the type of rifle that I really need... + maybe a bit extra for some quality guts (but nothing too crazy!!).

Good post Vlad. You helped me narrow my thoughts into a forming a more productive game-plan. 

with that said you will probably find satisfaction with some pretty inexpensive parts.... there are probably several things you can really save money on....

length/gas system

Just to give you a point of reference I have a 14in barreled AR15.. with a welded on muzzle brake.. this makes for a small light gun that is still legal length... I shoot man sized targets out to 300 yards without too much issue... since you want something on the short side 16in or 14in and a brake to get to 16 would probably work fine... I have shot a ton of both mid and carbine length gas systems.. I personally prefer mid length gas systems.. it feels a little softer and makes follow up shots faster..

trigger/lower parts kit

the biggest difference between triggers for me was just overall smoothness and pull weight... mil spec trigger.. sure its fine.. other triggers are better.. but if you are used to mil spec triggers you can probably not go wrong with just getting the trigger that comes with a good lower parts kit... you can always upgrade later... as far as the lower parts kit..no reason to go crazy with this.. any lower parts kit from a reputable dealer should work fine...

accessories

probably are not going to need a ton here... do you shoot on sandbags? if not are you thinking about a bipod or anything like that? you mentioned possible home defense.. I know you are not looking to do anything crazy with it.. but considering a weapon light or anything like that?  

as you develop what you want the parts really just fall into place.. 

LPKs generally come with grips.  Standard pistol grip will be fine unless you want something really customized.  I personally prefer the Magpul MOE grip.

Here's a good Lower Build kit (includes stock/buffer/buffer spring/buffer tube):

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/build-kits/moe-lower-build-kit.html

that LPK looks like a good start.. 

Top of the line triggers are Geissele triggers - they're pricey though.  $250+

https://www.primaryarms.com/Geissele-AR15-Triggers-s/2579.htm

I went with an ALG Combat trigger.  It's an offshoot company of Geissele and keeps the original trigger dynamics.  Add on JP Springs and you've got a lighter trigger pull and crisp feel.

https://www.primaryarms.com/ALG-Defense-AR-15-Trigger-s/2572.htm

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-bottom-metals/trigger-parts/trigger-springs/ar-15-enhanced-reliability-spring-kits-prod32318.aspx

We've got deals on triggers right now.  Every G trigger has an optional, discounted LPK available ($24.95 vs. $32.95).  Plus we have bundle deals on ALG Defense triggers.  http://midwestpx.com/index.php?cPath=100

You guys never cease to amaze me.

I feel right at home here. It feels very similar to being on any of the Marine Corps boards - except for the constant bickering.... and the creative use of curse words and highly un-pc insults... and the notorious barely-there bikini pics..... and the endless rounds of forum suspensions.

Otherwise.... exactly the same ;)

I feel right at home here. It feels very similar to being on any of the Marine Corps boards - except for the constant bickering.... and the creative use of curse words and highly un-pc insults... and the notorious barely-there bikini pics..... and the endless rounds of forum suspensions.

If you stick atound enough you'll see all that here too ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

In that case, just let me enjoy the illusion for a while ;)

But what I was really saying is that there is a certain brotherhood here. That's great! And brothers fight, so everything that goes along with that is to be expected (even if I haven't actually witnessed it for myself yet).

And btw, I don't want to come across as sounding un-pc myself. I tend to use the term "guys" as an across-the-board descriptive for the entire group. And besides, I've only encountered guys here so far (as far as I know, at least).

Then again, I haven't really strayed too far from my own situation since I've arrived here, so I'm sure that things are a bit more diverse in other sections of this board -  out there where all of the constant bickering.... creative use of curse words and highly un-pc insults... notorious barely-there bikini pics..... and the endless rounds of forum suspensions are taking place :p )

Become a premier member (3 bucks a month) and you get all that in the not safe for work section (NSFW).

Become a premier member (3 bucks a month) and you get all that in the not safe for work section (NSFW).

To tell you the truth, I'm kinda enjoying the quiet right now :)

But if I do ever get lonely for jackazzery, my Marine brothers over on the other forums would provide it in abundance for me.

(although FYI: I'm not particularly lonely for all that jackazzery much anymore these days. The un-moderated forums are a zoo, and the moderated one's are a snooze. I rue the day when Military.com sold-out to Monster.com. They destroyed the most popular Marine hangout on the internet with all of their corporate pc bs).

So anyway... I think I'll just keep my head down here and not make myself a target at this place. I like you guys, so I don't feel like stepping into the middle of any long-standing flame wars .

Besides, I've got enough on my plate with this AR deal.  

All this chatter and still no rifle??? :)

Point taken!

I did finally get the FFL squared away on Sunday, so my lower has officially been shipped as of this morning. 

And I have also already ordered a parts kit as well (that order is apparently in "processing" status). 

So....

The next step will be checking out the options for a stock, I guess. I have actually looked around (browser window shopping) a little bit, but I also know that the stock can fall into one of the Jersey-law pitfall areas, so I'm sure that I'm going to need a bit of knowledgeable/experienced help with that at some point.

So anyway, it hasn't all been just chatter ;)  There are rifle parts that will soon be entering into my orbit soon enough. Wait, scratch that. NOT "soon enough". More like "eventually".

Anyway, lets say that while the stock may be on the to-do agenda at the moment, what else could I be acquiring right now? I'm assuming that there are some things that aren't "preference" items; there are also just some basic/standard "need" items that I'm going to have to acquire, so what can I get checked off of my to-do list by ordering something right now?

Thoughts?

ETA: I did miss it... 

For what you said I wouldnt skimp on parts too much since it is a home defense gun.

Look for a good quality Upper, with quality specs.  (Including but not limited to: Daniel Defense, Colt, Bravo Company, etc)

You may look for a 16" barrel since you may do some bench work I assume, USGI profile barrel, standard handguards if your not hanging a bunch of stuff on it.  Stock of your choice to make sure its comfortable in your shooting position. 

What you WONT need to go crazy on is: $200+ trigger (I have an alg myself), fancy quad rails, super expensive charging handle or bolt carrier group, doesnt NEED to be a 1/7 twist rate, won't NEED all the magpul goodies if you are comfy with the standard grip and stock. 

I have a stag upper that had done me very well and is very fairly priced.  They are hard to come by at the moment but that is kind of the direction I see you going. 

Here are the main parts you will need for the gun.

Upper receiver group (barrel, receiver, handguards, bolt, bolt carrier, charging handle)

Lower receiver group (lower parts kit, trigger group, stock, buffer, buffer spring)

Accessories that are commonly replaced or added:

Mil spec trigger - upgraded trigger (smoother, lighter pull)

Charging handle - upgraded CH (stronger, resistant bending, possibly ambi)

Handgaurds - upgraded to quad rail or magpul (ability to put on more accessories)

Stock - various sizes and models for comfort

Buffer - upgrade to heavier buffer (shoots softer, less felt recoil)

Bolt and Carrier - upgraded to full auto group (stronger, longer life)

Vertical fore grip - added for comfort

Mounted flashlight - ability to use flashlight while keeping both hands on rifle

Pistol grip - comfort

Here are the main parts you will need for the gun.

Upper receiver group (barrel, receiver, handguards, bolt, bolt carrier, charging handle)

Lower receiver group (lower parts kit, trigger group, stock, buffer, buffer spring)

Accessories that are commonly replaced or added:

Mil spec trigger - upgraded trigger (smoother, lighter pull)

Charging handle - upgraded CH (stronger, resistant bending, possibly ambi)

Handgaurds - upgraded to quad rail or magpul (ability to put on more accessories)

Stock - various sizes and models for comfort

Buffer - upgrade to heavier buffer (shoots softer, less felt recoil)

Bolt and Carrier - upgraded to full auto group (stronger, longer life)

Vertical fore grip - added for comfort

Mounted flashlight - ability to use flashlight while keeping both hands on rifle

Pistol grip - comfort

This is good! I like how you laid all of that out, checko. Thumbs up, bro!

I'll probably use that as the basis for my checklist, and modify/update it as things progress and as new information/advice filters in.

I've had some really helpful (and supportive) responses in this thread (as well as via PM!), and this is of particular benefit to me. Much like a recent post from vladtepes, it helps me to direct my thinking about this build. So thanks for that!

Summarizing:

I've already ordered my lower (Spikes Tactical Spider) and parts kit (Spikes Tactical again). So now I'm trying to focus on just compiling parts/components.

I am so itching to start building this thing! I've got my tools, vise, everything (I hope!) at the ready for incoming hardware!

(and a special shout-out to bhunted for his tool dissertation via PM. Many thanks John! I did actually have a lot of what I'll need... although the armorer's wrench does remain a specific "need" item. So that is definitely my next purchase. And my torque wrench.... still MIA) 

I already know that I'm going to have some questions about that list (clarification/detail) but I like being able to work off of a list like that. It's good to be able to see what objectives still lie ahead. 

Ok, I gotta go write some code for someone now (freakin work :/ Major freakin rifle buzz-kill), so I'll return with some questions after that.

O

Here are the main parts you will need for the gun.Upper receiver group (barrel, receiver, handguards, bolt, bolt carrier, charging handle)Lower receiver group (lower parts kit, trigger group, stock, buffer, buffer spring *edit: forgot buffer tube but in nj buffer tube stock are one piece basically*)Accessories that are commonly replaced or added:Mil spec trigger - upgraded trigger (smoother, lighter pull)Charging handle - upgraded CH (stronger, resistant bending, possibly ambi)Handgaurds - upgraded to quad rail or magpul (ability to put on more accessories)Stock - various sizes and models for comfortBuffer - upgrade to heavier buffer (shoots softer, less felt recoil)Bolt and Carrier - upgraded to full auto group (stronger, longer life)Vertical fore grip - added for comfortMounted flashlight - ability to use flashlight while keeping both hands on riflePistol grip - comfort
Sorry meant to edit my post. Still getting used to tap talk.

I definitely want that. Actually a flashlight/laser combo sounds even better.

It was never my intention to trick-out this rifle for the sake of tricking-out the rifle, but that kind of feature fits the purpose, so it's not one of those extraneous gimmick attachments.

I'm putting that item down as a must-have.