5th4x4

Build at last!

Flashlight yes, Laser, no.  Even the army only used lasers as designators when using NODs.

"Even the Army"??? Well that settles it then. No laser for me!!! :p

(btw, is it really true that their Humvees come standard with climate controlled seats and heated steering wheels??)

This. Get a good 300+ lumen light and you won't need the laser. Get a red dot if you want fast target acquisition

300+ lumen. Noted.

As per that red dot...

I don't move so fast myself these days, so unless it can make us both faster, I'll just stick with bathing the target in intense light  ;)

Thanks for the guidance Krdshrk and checko

(one of the benefits about thinking out-loud is that it allows people to give me that look, and shake their heads, whenever I say something off the grid)

300+ lumen. Noted.

As per that red dot...

I don't move so fast myself these days, so unless it can make us both faster, I'll just stick with bathing the target in intense light ;)

Thanks for the guidance Krdshrk and checko

(one of the benefits about thinking out-loud is that it allows people to give me that look, and shake their heads, whenever I say something off the grid)

The red dot WILL make you faster. You can keep both eyes open and have better awareness. Its definitely an advantage you should think seriously about.

The red dot WILL make you faster. You can keep both eyes open and have better awareness. Its definitely an advantage you should think seriously about.

That does bring up an interesting issue (somewhat off-topic from the build thread):

Using home defense as the example, would it be more advantageous to be using light or laser when you aren't sure if you're dealing with an intruder with a weapon or not? 

Laser is a bit more stealth than bright light, plus it has the 'sh!t the pants' factor when a laser is suddenly seen tracking across walls and furnishings inside an enclosed space.

Then again, caught in the headlights.....

I can only say that my own less than extensive room clearing training in the Corps never did involve flashlights or lasers, so I have no first-hand knowledge of how one would stack up vs the other. (although obviously a laser would provide more benefit inside a well-lit room)

However I'm sure that there are quite a few LEO on these forums, so I'd be curious to hear what their take on this topic would be.

I don't think the laser is real scary. A blinding light makes the body naturally close eyes and turn away. Very disorienting. Plus you can quickly identify if the target is a threat or not. Lasers work both ways. If your not shining it in someone's retina they know exactly where to shoot you.

I agree with you both regarding "blinding light". But I still think that a laser in the room will evacuate a few stressed-out bowels.

Btw, how do those rifle-mounted flashlights activate?

Usually a clicky cap or a tape switch.

I think it can lead to bad habits. I don't rely on anything on my weapons to "scare" someone into submission.

I agree with you both regarding "blinding light". But I still think that a laser in the room will evacuate a few stressed-out bowels.

Btw, how do those rifle-mounted flashlights activate?

A light is still the better choice. Some lights are activated by a pushbutton while others need to be switched on, others have a pressure pad mounted on the hand guard or pistol grip. My light on my ar a stream light tlr has a pushbutton button with a Quick push being full on or 1 quick push then another for strobe affect. Very very disorientating

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

A light is still the better choice. Some lights are activated by a pushbutton while others need to be switched on, others have a pressure pad mounted on the hand guard or pistol grip. My light on my ar a stream light tlr has a pushbutton button with a Quick push being full on or 1 quick push then another for strobe affect. Very very disorientating

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

Yeah, I began checking out lights right after checko mentioned it. The strobe effect is pretty wild.

Another wild effect: the price of those things! 

Ay caramba!!!!

Start with the basics. Accessorize later after you realize what you need or not. For HD, an illumination device is a must. No need for night vision, lasers or any other doohickey.

ar15acces.jpg

Also, are you building your upper from scratch? While its not difficult as long as you have the proper tools, I would consider purchasing a complete upper especially if this is your first AR. Dealing with gas issues from a bad gas block install and dealing with head space issues suck.

people get hung up on the lumens of a light.. I do not think it is nearly as relevant as people make it out to be.. also I do not live in a cave.. so there is plenty of light in my home even in the deadest of hours...

I run mostly surefire lights on my ARs and they work really well and are reasonably inexpensive....

the light on my AR is setup so that the pad is near the natural placement of my support hand.. and the light mount comes back VERY tight to the gun keeping it streamlined...

thorn2.jpg

thorn3.jpg

I think I've resolved my target illumination issue.

I'm going to outfit my entire home with a series of these....

clapper.jpg

...and then program them all to respond to the sound of the bolt slamming forward ;)

people get hung up on the lumens of a light.. I do not think it is nearly as relevant as people make it out to be.. also I do not live in a cave.. so there is plenty of light in my home even in the deadest of hours...

I have the same situation as Vlad; my home has somehow become peppered with nightlights over the years, so there isn't actually much darkness to be found anywhere. 

I also like the look of that setup he has. Functionally sharp.

agree Vlad, 60 lumens, much less more in a concentrated beam at night, will cause flash blindness. 

surefire is the way to go regardless of model as they are the aimpoint of flashlights

After your first round fired, 60 lumens might as well be no lumens.  All the junk spewed into the air from the muzzle severely limits a weaponlight's reach.  After running various setups ranging from 105 to 500 lumens, I'd say 120-150 lumens is the bare minimum. 

After your first round fired, 60 lumens might as well be no lumens.  All the junk spewed into the air from the muzzle severely limits a weaponlight's reach.  After running various setups ranging from 105 to 500 lumens, I'd say 120-150 lumens is the bare minimum. 

I shot in low light and 3 sided structure before.. and think saying it might as well be no lumens is a slight stretch...but I do agree that 120 lumens is a good balance... My surefire lights all have LED conversions and are 120 lumens... 

I have the same situation as Vlad; my home has somehow become peppered with nightlights over the years, so there isn't actually much darkness to be found anywhere. 

I also like the look of that setup he has. Functionally sharp.

I know you are still just getting started.. but I may be selling that same setup but with a black light.. through rifle buying and selling I ended up with too many lights.. 

+1 on the Thorntail Adaptive Light Mounts.

I was looking for something that would mount the light very close to the barrel/handguard. I have a couple of flashlight mounts for sale that I tried but didn't like because it positioned the flashlight too far away from the barrel/handguard. Vlad turned me onto these and I absolutely love it. It gave me the ability to mount the light close to the barrel and as far forward as possible, next to the gas block. Since I have a carbine length quad rail on my AR, using a conventional mount would eat up enough rail space that it made it uncomfortable for me to hold the rifle up with my support hand.

5fc43e1d933bde775950dfdb26ee2b10_zpse16b

I know you are still just getting started.. but I may be selling that same setup but with a black light.. through rifle buying and selling I ended up with too many lights.. 

We can definitely discuss this again once I get far enough along, for sure!

Speaking of that, my lower receiver has now inched it's way up into Kearney, so I estimate that it should arrive tired and thirsty in Harrington Park by tomorrow (I hope!).

Plus I had to 'nudge' AIM Surplus regarding the never-changing "processing" status of my Parts Kit order. The nudge resulted in a promise of sending me tracking info later in the day, as they said that it had just shipped.  

I'm not sure if it "just" shipped due to the nudge-influence or not, but if I get a tracking number from them today, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Ok, so lets see.... it's now 3:45, so maybe I'll take a break from working for 'the man' (which won't be too much of a problem, since 'the man' is actually me) and me/the man will spend some time checking out stock/buffer options.

Checko had mentioned the option of a heavier buffer, which "shoots softer, less felt recoil" so I think that I'll investigate that as a possibility 

I don't mean to be a puss, but I wrecked my shoulder (over and over again) pretty darn good in an earlier life, and I recall having to munch on Vicodin for a few days after a skeet-shooting session a couple of years ago. I gave up playing ball for the very same reason, so if I can lessen the after-effects from a day of shooting, maybe I won't have to spend multiple days wrapped in ice and numbed by narcotics afterward.

btw, everyone who told me, "You're gonna feel that when you get older" while I was busy being young and reckless... was right!!

I don't think you should get too caught up with buffer weights ATM. That is one of those personal preference things you'll need to shoot some to find out. The recoil from a standard ar shouldn't do much damage to your shoulder. What I would concentrate on is barrel length and twist, muzzle device and gas length. You will more than likely not change these once assembled.

I kept hearing the term "muzzle brake" here, and I had no idea what it was. But I figured that I'd get around to learning about it when I started buying/working on the upper. But I just did some surface research on it, and it seems to be a flash-suppressor of some kind (or actually a flash-suppressor).

So is a muzzle brake the same as a flash-suppressor?

Every M16 has a flash-suppressor. Same thing different name??  

Flash suppressors are one of the "evil features" in NJ.  Any muzzle device you get must not have flash suppressing capabilities.  Muzzle brakes, or compensators, help compensate for muzzle rise and felt recoil by redirecting muzzle blast out to the sides or upwards. 

Muzzle brake or compensator is legal in NJ. Flash hider is NOT. Muzzle device is all encompassing.

I suggest you get familiar with NJ statues pertaining to assault weapons. You can post some items you're thinking of buying to get the community consensus on legality (nj law is clear as mud). We'll be happy to argue about them lol

Flash suppressor does just that... Suppresses..Muzzle breaks are designed mostly to vent gases out in a particular direction or equally. Example would be to vent up to keep barrel down when fired.

I kept hearing the term "muzzle brake" here, and I had no idea what it was. But I figured that I'd get around to learning about it when I started buying/working on the upper. But I just did some surface research on it, and it seems to be a flash-suppressor of some kind (or actually a flash-suppressor).So is a muzzle brake the same as a flash-suppressor?Every M16 has a flash-suppressor. Same thing different name??
Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HDTypos courtesy Apple...

Ok, great info. Many thanks guys! 

So what I do know (or think that I know) about NJ's infringement of our Constitutionally-protected 2nd Amendment rights, is that we're allowed 2 "evil features" before we cross the line into illegality in this Constitutionally-oppressed state.

So if I pick a muzzle brake as 1 of those features, then I only have one more to choose from.

Am I 'sorta' getting that right?

Also....

So does a flash-suppressor on an M16 actually perform the same function as a muzzle-break does?

I did get the opportunity to fire an AR shortly after I separated from the Corps, but sadly I don't recall the difference in how it handled or recoiled. 

And since the M16 was the very first firearm that I ever experienced, I really had no frame of reference regarding recoil. It was the only recoil I had known to that point. And while it did kick pretty good, I was young and relatively undamaged in those days, so I have no idea of the extent of it's recoil.

All I know is that during boot camp we spent 2 weeks at the range. And during the 2nd week, it would be shoot-shoot-shoot all day. And while we were staying at the range, we were all issued shooting jackets (so the shoulder area was padded).

I don't really recall any pain, but I do recall soreness by the time we were done qualifying. Then again, I probably weighed about 140lbs in those days, so I wasn't exactly carrying any of my own cushioning.