Old Dog

Cicadas - did they ever appear in numbers?

I remember all the post about them but no longer read any news about them. I am old enough to have lived through the times when you had to have someone pick them off your body before enter the house. However, each occurrence after that had fewer and fewer. I am thinking that development of land has killed off a lot of them. So what is the 411 about the Cicadas in NJ?

When I was a kid in the 70's, I remember them being everywhere. Their skeletons would crunch under my sneakers any time I walked somewhere, and their empty hulls would be attached to trees all over. This time around, I barely noticed them. 

Depends where you are ---  For the most part they where a total flop --  But some places had them thick -- but it was very isolated

One house would have them so thick you couldn't cut the lawn,  a block away and nothing --  This was in Edison on Remington drive

Also was at a customers house yesterday where the empty shells are still stuck on the trees --  Scotch Plains -- brookside drive

Homeowner said that you couldn't go outside without cicadas getting on you --  lasted 6 weeks

Personally,  I had nothing in my area --  Boro of Middlesex, dunellen, piscataway where all a no show

Washington Township in Morris County here - I saw a few fly around, but hardly even saw any attached to anything.  They were around - heard them all around me...but never really saw any numbers.  Apparently some of the parks by me were supposedly hit hard, but I didn't get to them so I couldn't say what kinda numbers there were.  I was expecting worse in my neighborhood, considering theres few houses, and a lot of land that's not been touched...

Worst I can say I encountered was an annoying noise in the distance...

I saw one, and he got the true death by my weed wacker, when I was trimming weeds. You have to also remember wherever there has been new construction in the past 17 years odds are the cicadas in that area got killed when the ground was ripped up.

I'm in a very rural part of Morristown. I had thousands yes thousands this year. The skeletons are still everywhere. Massive huge grave piles at bases of trees. On any given day the cicadas where sooooo loud ,they sounded like an alien space ship landing. At one point one side of my house was almost covered in exoskeletons. Got whacked in the forehead at 35 mph on my motorcycle with my visor up. Ouchhhh.

They went absolutely crazy in parts of Somerset and Morris Counties for a couple weeks. I drove on 287 a couple times and the sound was deafening inside my car at 65 mph with all the windows closed. It almost hurt my ears.

Where I live I never saw or heard a single one.

They went absolutely crazy in parts of Somerset and Morris Counties for a couple weeks. I drove on 287 a couple times and the sound was deafening inside my car at 65 mph with all the windows closed. It almost hurt my ears. Where I live I never saw or heard a single one.

Same here....I was on 287..doing at least 65...music on..and it took a moment to realize what the odd noise was. I turned off the radio..and opened the window and it was insanely loud. ....In South Brunswick area, Ive heard maybe a few and only saw one casing.

When I was a kid in the 70's, I remember them being everywhere. Their skeletons would crunch under my sneakers any time I walked somewhere, and their empty hulls would be attached to trees all over. This time around, I barely noticed them. 

Did you ever get hit with Gypsy Moth caterpillars during the 80s? Talk about not being able to walk without stepping on stuff. And it wasn't exoskeletons, it was goo filled wiggly worms.