ALTA

The PC Gaming Thread - Who do we have?

Hi All,

I was thinking of starting up a new gaming group (including teamspeak) for multiplayer titles. Just wondering if there was interest within this community? 

Possible Titles

• ARMA Wasteland Mod (2 and 3)
  • DayZ (Standalone when launched)
  • War Thunder
  • World of Tanks
  • Payday 2 (when released)
  • ETC

I may be game for World of Tanks without voice comms.   I play tiers 5-7.  8 soon.

An aside:  Anybody with a PC who hasn't tried World of Tanks is doing themselves a disservice.  It's free and the different tank types accommodate different play styles and abilities.  

I may be game for World of Tanks without voice comms. I play tiers 5-7. 8 soon.

An aside: Anybody with a PC who hasn't tried World of Tanks is doing themselves a disservice. It's free and the different tank types accommodate different play styles and abilities.

What specs do you need. My laptop of pretty standard

I play a lot of stuff on steam:

Team Fortress 2

Counter Strike: GO

Red Orchestra 2: Rising Storm/ HOS

Portal 2

Far Cry 3

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Other services:

Battlefield 3

Minecraft

lol, My list is kind of long.

A TeamSpeak server would be cool.

What other free games are out there? I'm not a huge pc gamer and am not up to date but damn I love Starcraft

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

I used to play starcraft, then got tired of my friends kicking my ass all the time so I stopped.

I got all the battlefields new and old

I got all the COD's new and old

WOW has 3 inches of dust on it (not paying for it if I dont play much)

Guild Wars 2 gots just as much dust

Got most HL games on steam like CS, DOD, TF, left4dead etc...

SWTOR (not paying even tho its kind of free to play now)

Company of Heroes

alot of older shooters too that probably dont work anymore

Where's all the WOW guys, I know you're out there. I played for a little while

I played through the Northrend expansion and eventually lost interest.  I tried to go back recently but found they'd revamped the entire skill system.  My beloved Blood DPS DK was a mess and I hated the other changes.  

WoW was at it's best during Burning Crusade and WotLK in my opinion.  Now it's too big and dumbed down.  All those dangerous wandering elites that terrorized you during your early levels are gone.   Nobody has to team up for safety or to complete quests.  Lots of top-heavy realms with empty early zones.   All there is now is "end game" and "rush to the end game."

I played through the Northrend expansion and eventually lost interest.  I tried to go back recently but found they'd revamped the entire skill system.  My beloved Blood DPS DK was a mess and I hated the other changes.  

WoW was at it's best during Burning Crusade and WotLK in my opinion.  Now it's too big and dumbed down.  All those dangerous wandering elites that terrorized you during your early levels are gone.   Nobody has to team up for safety or to complete quests.  Lots of top-heavy realms with empty early zones.   All there is now is "end game" and "rush to the end game."

^^ this

I played WoW for a LONG time.  but its the same thing non stop... HURRY HURRY LEVEL LEVEL... start over... never good enough groups to get complete endgame but just enough to keep you going.  Originally in vanilla WoW, it would take 5-7 hours to complete a 40 man run...and you still might not get an item! 

After wow I tried a few others and never got the same enjoyment but wow didn't bring it back in any expansion (stopped in Wrath, came back for the bears and left again within 2 months).  I started playing RIFT and liked the idea but it got boring.  Now theres a console game by the people who made RIFT and it has the same concept and its an MMO but on console and it links with the SyFy show called Defiance... that has held my attention for a while but it is only a matter of time.... Bring on Battlefield 4!

I play a lot of stuff on steam:

Team Fortress 2

Counter Strike: GO

Red Orchestra 2: Rising Storm/ HOS

Portal 2

Far Cry 3

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Other services:

Battlefield 3

Minecraft

lol, My list is kind of long.

A TeamSpeak server would be cool.

Been wanting to check out Rising Storm. Missed it on steam sale. :(

Been wanting to check out Rising Storm. Missed it on steam sale. :(

its freaking hard. i love RO2. its difficult but you can get the hang of it and that makes it so much more rewarding. this interview with a dev from RO2 talking about how CoD is for idiots really gets across how i have felt about FPS games ever since CS 1.6 got too old to bother with anymore. http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/13/call-of-duty-red-orchestra-2-interview/

anyway my original point rising storm will have that same learning curve except now theres charlie in the trees and shit too. so its even harder lol

also for what its worth i made this steam group the last time this thread happened. absolutely nothing to it whatsoever. no organization or anything just a place to see what other people from the forums might be playing and maybe jump in with them. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NJGF

my 2 cents for voice programs.. vent has always been great but it sucks to have to rent a server if you want more than like 3 people in your room. C3 is a new program in beta and coincidently ive only been in a room with 2 other people so i cant say much for its reliability with bigger numbers but its free and seems to work pretty good as far as i can tell so far. 

None of those interest me.  I'll be playing Final Fantasy XIV when it comes out.

yes. i bought the CE of ff14 the first time it came out. i prefer not to talk about that actually. ill be playing ARR though. FF11 was by far my favorite game ever. only MMO where i was almost never bored, the people were incredibly nice rather than the tools and douches you normally come across on the internet, it actually took time and effort you didnt just hit max level in a week. NM's being worth the time it took to hunt them down against other people, not having to make 6 different characters to try each job.. i could go on. theres a lot i liked about FFXI and i put a lot of expectation into FFXIV which completely bit me in the ass once so far. very sad.

I'll join the Steam group when I get home.

Let's see some specs, I was into computers before guns:

Intel i7 3770k (liquid cooled)

EVGA NVIDIA GTX 680

16GB Corsair RAM

120GB Samsung SSD

500GB Western Digital Black HDD

850 Watt Corsair Power Supply

Corsair full size tower