maintenanceguy

Buying Long Guns Outside of NJ

I bought a shotgun years ago in DE.  As I recall, I needed to show my NJ FID to buy it.  I'm not sure why DE cares about NJ law but obviously states must care where you are from.

What happens when I'm in a state far enough away that they are not familiar with NJ laws?  Are they still required to follow NJ law and ask for a NJ FID if I have a NJ drivers license.  I'll be traveling this summer and may want to do some shopping when I'm out.  I realize hand guns require FFL transfer but I'm wondering about long guns.

Just like buying in state...I believe it will depend on the shop ... I've had nj shops tell me when ive asked for certain firearms that "we don't sell those as they are illegal"....When they most certainly werent.....in my experience over the years it varies... For example .. I've been told in a shop in Montana " we(all montana shops)are not allowed to sell ANYTHING to nj residents".... Then a shop 10 mins away would sell me anything in the store...nj compliant or not....but to answer your question directly I've had non area states both ask and not ask for the fid card but I'm sure it's required by law... Just like with anything some are informed and some aren't...just be sure YOU knowwhat you're buying is nj compliant

Check with the stores in whatever State you're planning on going/visiting.  I went thru the same thing in early July and VA stores won't sell me a 22 rifle.  They were saying that they can only sell to 'adjoining states'.  I'm not sure if this is only a VA thing or that's the new regulation.

Save yourself some headache and call ahead...

arnoldr

Check with the stores in whatever State you're planning on going/visiting.  I went thru the same thing in early July and VA stores won't sell me a 22 rifle.  They were saying that they can only sell to 'adjoining states'.  I'm not sure if this is only a VA thing or that's the new regulation.

Save yourself some headache and call ahead...

arnoldr

That used to be a federal regulation. It was changed in 2011 I believe.

The sale of a long gun must comply with the laws of both the seller's state and the buyer's state according to Federal Law.

How far does this requirement go?  Are Nebraska FFLs required to use the NJSP NICS instead of federal NICS?  Will Nebraska FFLs know to ask for my FID and will they fill out whatever paperwork is required by NJ?  And how does a Nebraska FFL know what the rules are in NJ?

I'm only picking Nebraska as a generic non NJ border state.

How far does this requirement go?  Are Nebraska FFLs required to use the NJSP NICS instead of federal NICS?  Will Nebraska FFLs know to ask for my FID and will they fill out whatever paperwork is required by NJ?  And how does a Nebraska FFL know what the rules are in NJ?

I'm only picking Nebraska as a generic non NJ border state.

The reason you're getting different answers from different out of state dealers is that some don't know the laws in NJ and don't want to be bothered with figuring them out, for them it's easier to tell you they can't do the sale, other dealers are more eager to sell. There are a number of states that have a "contiguous states" rule (none that border NJ), so they cannot sell to you if they wanted to.

As an example, I know MD has a law on the books that they will only sell to contiguous states.

FYI, from my unofficial record keeping, I've found that the smaller the shop, the more likely they are to agree to a long gun sale.  But they'll look at you like a chicken with two heads when you whip out a COE and ask them to fill it out.

As an example, I know MD has a law on the books that they will only sell to contiguous states.

FYI, from my unofficial record keeping, I've found that the smaller the shop, the more likely they are to agree to a long gun sale.  But they'll look at you like a chicken with two heads when you whip out a COE and ask them to fill it out.

I'm not sure about what you said about MD. A few years ago a couple od dealers there were willing to sell me anything as long as its NJ legal.

Unless you go to a big place like Cabelas most dealers will say "a COE is a NJ form, I don't have to fill out NJ forms".

I'm not sure about what you said about MD. A few years ago a couple od dealers there were willing to sell me anything as long as its NJ legal.

Unless you go to a big place like Cabelas most dealers will say "a COE is a NJ form, I don't have to fill out NJ forms".

I bought a shotgun from a Maryland dealer in the early 90's, but he was in PA at the time - this was before the ATF started enforcing the rule that requires a dealer to sell only in their home state. That dealer didn't care to see my FID card or collect sales tax on the sale because at that time MD didn't tax small purchases like that - filled out a 4473 and paid him, that was it.

If anyone is looking to buy long guns, accessories and ammo from an out of state dealer, I strongly recommend "Federal Firearm" in Delaware.  Chris is a NJGF member and will beat anybody's price.  Plus, no sales tax.

Where is DE are they located? I happen to have family in Blades and make 4-6 trips a year to see them.

There is no longer any "contiguous state" requirement on buying long guns from a FFL.  That was an old rule enacted in 1968 that was repealed in 1986.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/industry/tip-of-the-month-2010.html

With your NJ FOID card, you can buy a long gun from any FFL in any state provided that neither NJ nor the state that you and the dealer are physically in would forbid it.

There is no longer any FEDERAL "contiguous state" requirement on buying long guns from a FFL.  That was an old rule enacted in 1968 that was repealed in 1986.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/industry/tip-of-the-month-2010.html

With your NJ FOID  FPID card, you can buy a long gun from any FFL in any state provided that neither NJ nor the state that you and the dealer are physically in would forbid it.

Very true, however a number of states still have their own contiguous states rules.