Sign in to follow this  
Vini

500-600 pounds Brown Bear killed with AK-74 in Alaska

The hiker, who has not been identified by Alaska State Troopers, had set out from the Rainbow trailhead at Milepost 108 of the highway Sunday morning, said Tom Crockett, a park ranger. He was near the first inlet viewpoint, about a half-mile up the trail toward McHugh Creek, when he spotted the bear. It was on the edge of a birch and spruce forest with abundant blueberries and serviceberries.

"The bear presented its rear end to him," Crockett said.

The man called, "Hey, bear," hoping not to startle the animal, he said.

The bear turned and charged, the hiker later told rangers.

The man fired the AK-74 assault rifle he was carrying, Crockett said. The bear stopped after the first volley of shots, and then charged again.

The man fired once more, Crockett said.

That time the bear folded into a ball, rolling and running downhill and thudding to a stop in a clump of birch trees about 100 yards from the trail.

"There it expired," Crockett said. 

The man called 911 and asked for help.

Crockett and an Alaska State Trooper who responded found the man in the same spot on the trail where he encountered the bear. He wasn't willing to walk out alone.

"He told me he's never been so scared in his life," he said.

Crockett estimated the bear weighed 500 to 600 pounds. The animal bore marks of an eventful life: he had a "big hulking" scar running over the top of his head, likely from a tussle with another bear. 

http://www.adn.com/2013/07/29/2997953/section-of-turnagain-arm-trail.html

It took a lot of bullets to put bear down. Good they don't have mag limitation. 

Anyone knows how hard to stop 500-600 pound bear with 30 cal rifle? 

There's story's of people dropping bears with 22lr. It's all about shot placement but the same thing can be experienced with humans. If your raged up/ drugged up enough a few bullets won't drop you now multiply that times bear

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

There's story's of people dropping bears with 22lr. It's all about shot placement but the same thing can be experienced with humans. If your raged up/ drugged up enough a few bullets won't drop you now multiply that times bearThis signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

The difference is many times one shot stops on humans occur just because the guy doesn't want to get shot anymore. Animals don't do this and will continue running, attacking or whatever as long as it can. Pumped up, drugged up you are correct.

A friend went to Alaska for Brown Bear back in the 70s. His guide showed him a skull where someone has shot the bear. The bullet, a 30 cal of some sort, had cut a furrow in the skull and was stopped by the skull. Bone had grown back over but you could still see the base of the 30 cal bullet.

The difference is many times one shot stops on humans occur just because the guy doesn't want to get shot anymore. Animals don't do this and will continue running, attacking or whatever as long as it can. Pumped up, drugged up you are correct.

A friend went to Alaska for Brown Bear back in the 70s. His guide showed him a skull where someone has shot the bear. The bullet, a 30 cal of some sort, had cut a furrow in the skull and was stopped by the skull. Bone had grown back over but you could still see the base of the 30 cal bullet.

Thats f'n nuts.  

I agree, it's all about shot placement. 

I'm pretty sure 5.45 is much more powerful vs 22 mag

5.45 60 gr at 100 yards velocity 2495 fps energy 829 ft-lbs

.22 WMR 40 grain at 100 yards velocity 1350 fps energy 162 ft-lbs