carguy3j

Re-Use "Personal Record" Fingerprint/Criminal History Check ?

My question is this:

After reading this:

http://yournjattorneys.com/lie-on-your-nj-firearms-id-card-application-get-arrested/

It seems like it might be a good idea to run a criminal history check, for personal purposes, prior to applying for the FPID, to be sure there are no "surprises" that could result in the above referenced situation.

Apparently, you can use this form http://www.nj.gov/njsp/info/pdf/092509_universforma.pdf , and for $41, have a criminal history check run, for your own personal use.

A.) Would this check show everything / the same thing that local LE would get from a FPID app?

B.) Assuming that you then applied for the FPID within a reasonable time frame (how long?), would they be able to "re-use" those prints and/or that record check, saving time and money?

c.) I'm a little confused, as to where the records/results go. If you are doing this for "personal records" purposes, does Morphotrack send the results directly to me, or would it still go through the local PD?

Correct me if Im wrong but i dont think he is terrified of his "possible" criminal history. For me, it comes down to just not being sure whats going to get you denied these days. Any little thing that we have done in our past is a potential worry because there seems to be very small concrete list of shtuff that guarantees denial and a looooong list of things that "Might" get you denied. I can think of one juvenile thing in my passed that I never really "went to court" for but was disciplined by a Town "Juvenille board" for......Do I have any idea if this will get me denied? NO, am I worried YES....That does not mean I'm worried about my criminal history because I know I dont have any misdemeanors or felonies. 

That being said I agree deleteme, if you do KNOW something has potential to get you denied and you can utilize this service ahead of time it might save a headache... Then you can move towards getting whatever it is expunged

If this makes no sense i apologize im at work and typing rediculous fast...

I think this is a hell of an idea and wish I knew about it before I applied just to not be wondering where i stand.

You need to edit the link to the Morphotrack form. It should be http://www.nj.gov/njsp/info/pdf/092509_universforma.pdf but you have more info in the link which makes it come  up as an error.

Thanks. I fixed it. Should work now. I don't know why, but the "forum" software kept adding in that extra nonsense, as I only "pasted" the exact url. I had to edit it about 10 times before it didn't so it. Maybe something screwy with the board?

Correct me if Im wrong but i dont think he is terrified of his "possible" criminal history. For me, it comes down to just not being sure whats going to get you denied these days. Any little thing that we have done in our past is a potential worry because there seems to be very small concrete list of shtuff that guarantees denial and a looooong list of things that "Might" get you denied. I can think of one juvenile thing in my passed that I never really "went to court" for but was disciplined by a Town "Juvenille board" for......Do I have any idea if this will get me denied? NO, am I worried YES....That does not mean I'm worried about my criminal history because I know I dont have any misdemeanors or felonies. 

That being said I agree deleteme, if you do KNOW something has potential to get you denied and you can utilize this service ahead of time it might save a headache... Then you can move towards getting whatever it is expunged

If this makes no sense i apologize im at work and typing rediculous fast...

I think this is a hell of an idea and wish I knew about it before I applied just to not be wondering where i stand.

Yeah, its kinda the juvenille thing. There was one incident, when I was probably 12-13yrs old. The school principal was a.) a dick, and b.) butt buddies with a local detective. We had a disagreement, and when I tripped and knocked over a chair while yelling at him, he ASSumed I was trying to throw it at him, so he called his special little friend. I don't really remember exactly how it ended up, but I do remember I had to go to court. SO, rather then getting arrested for not remembering, maybe I should find out first. I highly doubt that it would be a reason for a denial, even if there is a record, but if there is and I put "no", apparently honest mistakes are cause for arrest. On the other hand, if there is no record, then no need to volunteer any extra info.

So, anyway, can anybody answer the questions I posed in the initial post?

Thanks. I fixed it. Should work now. I don't know why, but the "forum" software kept adding in that extra nonsense, as I only "pasted" the exact url. I had to edit it about 10 times before it didn't so it. Maybe something screwy with the board?

Yeah, its kinda the juvenille thing. There was one incident, when I was probably 12-13yrs old. The school principal was a.) a dick, and b.) butt buddies with a local detective. We had a disagreement, and when I tripped and knocked over a chair while yelling at him, he ASSumed I was trying to throw it at him, so he called his special little friend. I don't really remember exactly how it ended up, but I do remember I had to go to court. SO, rather then getting arrested for not remembering, maybe I should find out first. I highly doubt that it would be a reason for a denial, even if there is a record, but if there is and I put "no", apparently honest mistakes are cause for arrest. On the other hand, if there is no record, then no need to volunteer any extra info.

So, anyway, can anybody answer the questions I posed in the initial post?

The NJ form only asks if you have been CONVICTED of a crime. 

That's it. 

It doesn't ask if a cop ever sneezed on you, it doesn't even ask if you ever got arrested.  It doesn't ask if a cop ever wrote a report saying that you were a bad person, it doesn't ask if you and a cop ever had an argument over a ball game.  It doesn't ask if you ever had a problem with zoning or building permits. 

So if you have not been CONVICTED of a crime (and if you were, you would surely remember it) you can put "NO" on the form with a clear conscience.  CONVICTED means you plead guilty and were sentenced, or found by a jury to be guilty of a crime after a trial, and then sentenced.  I assume none of those things ever happened to you.  If it did, you would surely remember. 

Charges that are dropped or dismissed need not be disclosed on the form.  Juvenile matters in this state generally go to the family court, not the criminal court anyhow, unless you did something really criminal.  If you really want to find out what happened back then, you can go to the office of the family court in the county where you were living at the time and have them look it up.  It's probably nothing - probably dismissed after a healing and might even be sealed or expunged anyhow.  Very doubtful that it is actually a criminal conviction or a finding of juvenile delinquency or anything like that.  Don't worry about it.

Download the NJ form and look at it very carefully.  It is not as big a hurdle as you think.  You don't need to run a criminal history on yourself.

Well, that's the the thing: I don't recall, these many years later, if I WAS "adjudicated" a juvenile delinquent, or if it was just a term that had been "thrown around" in court, regarding the incident. It was a long time ago, and neither my mother(dead) or stepfather(no contact/moved to the other side of the country) are around to ask, and any family records were lost.

The form does ask if you were ever judged a juvenile delinquent (#18).

Given the article I linked in my first post, it seems there are severe consequences for an innocent oversight/misunderstanding, so I'd rather be sure.

I'm still looking for answers to the 3 questions which I created this post for. I even lettered/bullet pointed them. Can someone please just answer the questions, especially A.)? Will a personal use criminal history show EVERYTHING that LE would see when running it for FPID?

Regarding bullet number 3, something I read a while ago leads me to think that the personal background check goes to the NJSP but the LE check goes to the FBI.  I have no idea if that's true and as long as you don't have federal or international charges against you, I'd assume that the NJSP background check will be the same as the FBI check. 

I ran a background check on myself and the letter came to my house 2 days after I was fingerprinted.  So, whatever they do, they do it quickly. 

Regarding bullet number 3, something I read a while ago leads me to think that the personal background check goes to the NJSP but the LE check goes to the FBI.  I have no idea if that's true and as long as you don't have federal or international charges against you, I'd assume that the NJSP background check will be the same as the FBI check. 

I ran a background check on myself and the letter came to my house 2 days after I was fingerprinted.  So, whatever they do, they do it quickly

Thanks for the reply. That's interesting that they would go to different agencies, depending on the purpose. Unfortunately, that would leave the door open for getting an all clear on your own preemptive check, and still have something come up in the "official" one, just due to mismatched records or something between the FBI and NJSP.

I wonder if the 2 day response was "normal" or if you just got lucky? If that is normal, then I wonder why the actual FID check takes so long?