Sign in to follow this  
Grapeshot

Small game in NJ

I have been hunting in PA the last few years, and decided to get my NJ hunting license this year. Imagine my surprise when I saw that I can’t hunt squirrel or rabbit with a .22. According to the regs I am allowed either a shotgun or muzzleloader of .36 cal or less.

So it seems to me that a 12 gauge is a little overkill for rabbit and squirrel. What do you guys use? 20 ga? 410?

12g works just use light Fine loads. I prefer a 20g myself for small game and peasant. .22 is legal for coon, groundhog, & dispatch for trapping. Possibly coming soon is air rifle season for squirrel. I don't know if it passed or not yet. But I believe it has been submitted and awaiting approval or denial.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

12g works just use light Fine loads. I prefer a 20g myself for small game and peasant. .22 is legal for coon, groundhog, & dispatch for trapping. Possibly coming soon is air rifle season for squirrel. I don't know if it passed or not yet. But I believe it has been submitted and awaiting approval or denial.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Hasn't passed yet. July's meeting was cancelled. It will come to a vote in the August hearing.

muzzleloader of .36 cal or less

Keep in mind there are specific zones where ML's are allowed for squirrel. And you'll need a NJ Rifle Permit.

I just took my rifle test last night and I was talking to the instructor after the class he told me that all proposals had passed.

Those proposals have been approved, but need to go before the Fish & Game Council for final vote. Their July 9th meeting was when they were to vote on these, but the meeting was cancelled. The next meeting is scheduled for August 9th.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/fgcnclmtg.htm

http://www.nj.gov/dep/rules/notices/20130415a.html