Sign in to follow this  
tblant

NJ Police Exam

My step daughter has talked about taking the above exam to be either a police officer or corrections officer. She keeps stating the exam has been delayed (seems like a year plus).

Can someone tell me when the next exam is? She is interested in Bergen county (not sure it matters).

Also, if you know whether the exam has been offered in the last six months or so. At this point I am looking for "ammo" to light the fire under her feet.

thx

Thanks. I tried google before asking this question but was very confused (not hard to confuse me)... there are a lot more law enforcement related professions than I realized.

One more if you do not mind: Is it city or county specific or a statewide test? thx

According to the NJ website it is slated for fall 2013.

"The tentative timeframe to administer the 2013LEE is Fall, 2013. However, in the event there
are difficulties scheduling the examination for any unforeseen reason, the examination date may

change."

Theist is supposed to be good for only 2 years. I took it well over 2 years ago and am still getting invitations for corrections and sheriff. Once I realized the pay cut it would be I knew I couldn't do it. If I was 22 again I would do it. Best of luck to you and your daughter

Yep, not all towns require a civil service test. In the triboro where I'm at, 2 of the 3 towns had civil service test requirements. Long ago, I've taken both and the chiefs test was pretty much a rip of the civil service test. Not sure if it's still that way but... I did notice that towns with the civil service test turn out a better caliber of officers. Most cases, one way or another, you go to the academy if getting it on...

For civil service they are all the same test. Now some towns have "Chiefs" test.

For the civil service test, you take the test and check off boxes where you want your scores sent to. Most people check all.

You go to the nj civil service website and sign up there, pay the money on the spot $35 for the first test and $5 for each additional box you want the scores to be sent for. I did this last week, and am told I will receive a mailer with test and study booklet. Test will most likely be late fall. Good luck to your daughter!

Theist is supposed to be good for only 2 years. I took it well over 2 years ago and am still getting invitations for corrections and sheriff. Once I realized the pay cut it would be I knew I couldn't do it. If I was 22 again I would do it. Best of luck to you and your daughter

I made that same decision 20 years ago for the same reason, I didn't want to take a pay cut. One of those things you look back on and realize...Big Mistake. I'd be a few years away from a pension and could start a second career. You will quickly recoup the pay cut in NJ.