NJDevil1044

Does anyone own a 1/2 x 28 tpi Die set? I'm in need of some assistance PLEASE!

I have a few Tap & Die sets, but I can't seem to find a 1/2 x 28 tpi threader in any of the sets. I was wondering if anyone out there had one and would be willing to just assist me in threading the end of my new Mossberg MVP to add a Yankee Hill Phantom break on it. In addition to not having the correct die, I also don't have much, or any really, experience in threading, and I'd hate to learn on my new MVP, through I understand its not at all difficult, I'm just sure the nerves would kick in. If you need it I would be more than willing to comensate you for you assistance, throw you some rounds or a few dollars if you needed/wanted, or help you out if you have any electronics/computer issues that need looking into, I just really want to get this break on there, I think it would really complete the rifle. I appreciate anyone who has the tools, skills, and could offer me the assistance. I live in Burlington County / Central Jersey not far from Trenton but willing to travel. Thanks so much to all who read this and anyone who could possibly assist me.

McMaster-Carr is your friend at times like this. 

You may need to turn your barrel down to the right diameter to even accept the die.  If you don't have experience with or access to a lathe, that could be an issue.  I'm not that familiar with that gun, but it's something I would be on the look out for.

C

Just as a observation, or suggestion - when you thread a barrel you MUST

have the threads in perfect line with the bore of the barrel. if not and the brake

is not perfectly aligned when installed - you could have a big problem.

If you are not perfectly sure of what your doing - it's best to leave it to a professional.

JMO

Good Luck!

It looks like, unless you have an MVP Patrol which is already threaded, you're going to be turning down the barrel to accommodate threading. So you might as well thread it while its still on the lathe, assuming lathe can feed for 1/2-28

Although on a side note (just spitballing here)...since this is a bolt gun and you don't have the "evil feature" problem, you could just get a Phantom flash hider instead, and not have to worry about alignment so much? A cocked flash hider will still affect tip-off though so I still say thread on a lathe.

i can promise you that its not "easy". So i would have to agree with everyone else to not just get started on it. I have a 1/2-28 die but my question to you would be can you separate that barrel completely from from the gun. And what size is it when you do. It would have to fit into a lathe and i dont think mine would be large enough to accept it.