I'm looking to sell a handgun for the first time. Could somebody give me a quick run down of my responsibilities during and after the sale. Would I be better using an auction website and selling out of state? And what are the laws for selling and shipping out of state? I'm terrified of braking some dopey NJ law, any help is appreciated.

In state sale - Buyer must have a VALID FID, P2P and DL that all match, also must buyer must have not bought a pistol within 30 days. Buyer keeps one copy of p2p, you keep one copy and the other copy must be mailed to purchasers municipality within I believe 5 days.

Out of state - you can ship directly to buyers FFL but must contact the FFL and get necessary license before hand. Some FFL might only receive a pistol from another FFL which in case you go to your FFl and have them ship it to buyers FFL.

Actually there are 4 copies to mail out, one to the state police as well :)

I've sold a couple of handguns, it's really not that big of a deal. Most of the guys on this forum know what they need so they are prepared. DL, FID, P2P handgun, and you're all set. It's up to the BUYER to make sure they don't break the 30 day rule, as there is no way for the seller to verify before hand.

As previously noted if you want to sell it out of state, go for it. ABSOLUTELY must got to an FFL in the buyers home state, and they'll need to send you a copy of their paper work before hand.

Thanks, Any rules for shipping though like marking the box a certain way? Or no usps or no ups?

My packages have always come ups and i was told that a firearm can not be in the system for more than two days. So if it was a far distance you would have to upgrade it to 2 day shipping. Also there can not be ammo in the same package. i would ask one of the shops down towards the bottom of the page. I personally go to TJ sporting Arms because he is extremely knowledgeable on all of the NJ laws.

Its against the law for a individual to ship a handgun to anyone USPS. FFL to FFL can. You must ship UPS or FEDEX and pay for expedited shipping. No special markings required but you must tell the shipper its a firearm. Be prepared to have a copy of the FFL to show them.

The one handgun a month is on the buyer not you. How are you supposed to know if they bought a handgun within the last 30 days?

I havent even put it up for sale yet im just looking into it now before i try. 

Just to make sure, no background checks or anything right? 

Does anybody have any experience with these auction sites? is it any better than just putting it in a classified section?

Just sell it here in the marketplace, it's easier than dealing with shipping it. An out of state buyer is going to have to pay $50 + - for overnight shipping though UPS or Fed Ex and they will probably discount the value by that much when bidding on it.