mcbethr

Best Italian Restaurants in NJ

I wanted to post this last night, but I had just finished a Calzone the size of a sofa and was essentially out of commission for the next eight hours.

I went to Tarentella's in Medford, NJ for dinner last night.  I've been going there for he past 15 years and I quite honestly think it's the best Italian Restaurant in NJ. 

What say you all?  Where is the best place in the Garden State to get an Italian meal?

I am predicting that one or more ex-New Yorker forum members will tell us we can't get good Italian food in New Jersey.

Additional guess - they will be from Brooklyn.

With the shortage of Italians we have in this state, they must be right. :)

Main Street Trattoria in Metuchen isnt bad..  (but havent been there in probably 10 years)..

Spano's in Point Pleasant Beach is pretty good as well..

a place called Casanova's in Jackson wasnt bad, but they've been taken over by new management and havent been there since then..

Here's the thing about Italian food...what most American's consider to be Italian food most Italians wouldn't feed to their pets. 

At the same time, Italian food is specific to a region....Northern, Southern...Coastal.

With all that said the only really good Italian restaurant that I personally know of is La Cippolina in Freehold.  A "cippolina" translated means small onion.  I haven't been there since forever but recall them being true to the heritage of Italian cuisine and offering regional diversity.

Mangia!

Is that the one at the Calhoun ST bridge? If so, I live 5-6 minutes from there and never tried it and may have to...

Yup that's the one Antonio is a friend of the family he's from Italy as well as a renowned chef

hmmmmmmmmm  I'm gonna have a hard time swallowing that one......  Red Hook back in the day ( i hate that phrase but) was a shite hole......I lives about a 1/2 mile away along the lower harbor by the piers...all longshoremen working class neighborhood and dive bars.... Red hook was a run down mess.......it was an area you NEVER went alone if at all.....

Now it is a cruise port..........  go figure...  I never heard of Red hook EVER being known for good chefs back then

Doesn't mean he's not a good cook..could be he just lived there but learned back in the old country....try it..you wont be disappointed...

Luchento's on Route 33 in MIllstone (or Englishtown) used to be fantastic, but i also havent been there in probably 10 years.. 

Still pretty good, we eat there on occasion.