rayroka

M&P 9mm Mag Disconnect

Hey guys, 

New to the sport. I figured more experienced owners could chime in. Bought an M&P 9mm SKU# 206301 with 2 15RD mags.

In the manual it has a diagram of the mag disconnect safety (small bar in extractor area). According to the picture mine has one. 

So I popped an empty mag in, racked it, and then popped the mag back out but I was still able to dry fire it. (I figured once wouldn't hurt.) 

Is this normal operation, does the firing pin not actually strike? Does it need actually have a bullet in the chamber? Does mine not actually have one and I am reading the picture wrong? 

On a side note...I was surprised that mine came with two 15 round factory mags instead of 10 RD. 

Thanks again,

Ray

You bought this new?

S&W does not ship any M&P's with 15rd mags....   either 17 or 10 .... 

There are 2 things you might be talking about.....  

There is a sear disconnect lever...... which you flip down before taking the slide off.....  it allows you to remove slide without pulling trigger...

or...

The gun has a magazine safety, which will not allow the gun to fire without a magazine inserted....

I will check all these suggestions when I get home. (sticker and what's written on the side of the gun)

This gun is brand new! I purchased at Hackettstown Guns and Ammo from Walt (great guy). He is a Retired LEO. Could he have ordered a law enforcement model or something for me? 

Ray

You bought this new?

S&W does not ship any M&P's with 15rd mags....   either 17 or 10 .... 

There are 2 things you might be talking about.....  

There is a sear disconnect lever...... which you flip down before taking the slide off.....  it allows you to remove slide without pulling trigger...

or...

The gun has a magazine safety, which will not allow the gun to fire without a magazine inserted....

This is separate from the sear disconnect level so now perplexed even more.

I have been shopping around for months and never saw one that came with 15 rounders. Could this be a law enforcement model or something!?

This is separate from the sear disconnect level so now perplexed even more.

I have been shopping around for months and never saw one that came with 15 rounders. Could this be a law enforcement model or something!?

If he bought it from a local dealer (hackettstown) it stands to reason they bought the handgun and swapped/pinned the mags for 15 rnders. It probably isnt just something they ordered standard from their distro

If he bought it from a local dealer (hackettstown) it stands to reason they bought the handgun and swapped/pinned the mags for 15 rnders. It probably isnt just something they ordered standard from their distro

Yeah..... I am thinking his FFL pinned them or swapped them

The magazine disconnect is a 15min job to remove also..... but I doubt the FFL would touch that without the owner knowing.... 

They are factory 15 mags, not pinned. So maybe he did switch them but he didn't mention it.

Yeah..... I am thinking his FFL pinned them or swapped them

The magazine disconnect is a 15min job to remove also..... but I doubt the FFL would touch that without the owner knowing.... 

I don't think he would remove it. Maybe I just don't understand the mag disconnect.

If I pop in an empty mag, rack, and remove the mag should the trigger be able to be pulled and subsequently "click" or does the mag safety only work when there is a round in the chamber?

Thanks,

Ray

http://www.budspolicesupply.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/4_8/sort/4a/page/1

I bought my M&P40 from here.. they give a multitude of options regarding TS (thumbsafety) NTS (nothumbsafety) MS (Magazinesafety) and NMS (nomagazinesafety) to choose from and a combination of all

This looks promising besides the fact that it is a 17 rd model. Maybe mine is actually a SKU# 206301LE.

http://www.budspolicesupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/748

This looks promising besides the fact that it is a 17 rd model. Maybe mine is actually a SKU# 206301LE.

http://www.budspolicesupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/748

So it has no mag safety.. a thumb safety, and the mags were switched by the dealer. There is no standard 15rnd cap factory option so hackettstown swapping the mags seems to be the answer.

Why do you think your pistol has a magazine safety?  Mine does not. 

There is a picture on page 30 of the Safety and Instruction Manual that depicts how to tell if your gun has the safety feature or not. When I look at my gun it has a the small silver bar next to the shear disconnect that s&w says is the magazine disconnect but I can still put an empty mag in, rack, pop it out, and pull the trigger and "click".

Ray

So it has no mag safety.. a thumb safety, and the mags were switched by the dealer. There is no standard 15rnd cap factory option so hackettstown swapping the mags seems to be the answer. 

I called Walt to clarify on the 15 RD mags. He did in fact switch them out. He has a standing agreement with S&W that if he orders a 17RD they send 15 RD ones as well so he can swap and send the non compliant ones back. He said he might even be the only dealer in NJ they do this for since he hasn't found anyone else that does. Maybe because of his volume with S&W or something!

Thanks

Ray

Mag safety: It is very simple. Look at the slide. If it says that the gun is capable of firing without the mag in, you do not have it.

If it does not say anything you have it. Unless it was modified (not likely as it was a new gun, unless it was modified and the slide was switched out- once again very unlikely), I don't see any other option.

Mag safety: It is very simple. Look at the slide. If it says that the gun is capable of firing without the mag in, you do not have it.

If it does not say anything you have it. Unless it was modified (not likely as it was a new gun, unless it was modified and the slide was switched out- once again very unlikely), I don't see any other option.

I'll go home and double check all of this then report back. I may even post a video to show whats happening. Thanks for all the details people.

Ray

I called Walt to clarify on the 15 RD mags. He did in fact switch them out. He has a standing agreement with S&W that if he orders a 17RD they send 15 RD ones as well so he can swap and send the non compliant ones back. He said he might even be the only dealer in NJ they do this for since he hasn't found anyone else that does. Maybe because of his volume with S&W or something!

Thanks

Ray

That is very cool......

Those mags are impossible to find at the moment......  

This is the easiest way.  When I look a the picture on page 30 of the manual, the mag disconnect lever looks just like the sear deactivation lever when it's popped out to take down. 

That is very cool......

Those mags are impossible to find at the moment......  

It is. Walt is a very good guy to deal with. Hackettstown Guns and Ammo is highly recommended! 

My Ruger has a magazine disconnect, but I can still dry fire it.  There is supposed to be something that will block the striker when you pull the trigger without a magazine inserted.  I'd definitely look into it because it mentions in my manual that dry firing without the magazine in can damage the striker.