7-3-2

Rust on my brand new SR1911 :/

So after the 6+ month wait to get my permit I was so excited to buy my SR1911 that I didn't inspect it nearly as close as I should have. Lets just say that the rust is not easily detectable by any means (plus I am completely new to 1911's so I was just dumbfounded by the feel and fit and couldn't wait to bring the thing home.

Anyways, I get it home take it apart lube it up and notice what looks to be rust on the hammer. I think to myself maybe it isn't rust and try and rub it off but no luck. Then I start to look closer at the rest of the finish and F&!% sure enough I see signs of oxidation on the frame and the slide! So I'm already contacting Ruger but I am just hoping its not a contaminated batch of materials or something because then I'll be waiting another 6+ months before I'll be able to pick the replacement piece up!

Okay, now that I have vented a bit ... has anyone else come across anything like this before? I only bought it on the 25th!

s5hbaq.jpg

147ma9.jpg

312cme1.jpg

That sucks. I had that happen on my Glock. I sent them the slide and they replaced it. You can overnight it to them and I believe they can overnight it to you with signature confirmation. Not sure what happens if they swap the frame and it's a different serial number. If they swap it out keep all the paperwork.

That sucks. I had that happen on my Glock. I sent them the slide and they replaced it. You can overnight it to them and I believe they can overnight it to you with signature confirmation. Not sure what happens if they swap the frame and it's a different serial number. If they swap it out keep all the paperwork.

Yeah, Im worried because the frame is rusting that they might try and replace the whole unit (which if thats what it comes to then so be). I am pretty sure I would have to have the firearm sitting with an FFL until I was able to obtain a new permit which just took me 6 frigging months lol.

If it's rust on the frame (serialized part of the weapon) then that does indeed suck. 

Keep us updated on what happens.  

Yepp its on the hammer, slide and frame. The last picture is with the grips removed. I have more parts of the frame showing rust but that was the only one I was able to pic up with my camera.

Seeing as you will have to burn a permit if they replace the gun I would stress to customer service you would like them to try and refinish the frame before replacing the weapon.  This could save you months of waiting time if your town is not quick to issue permits.  

Lesson learned to thoroughly inspect anything before you take possession of it...

Blake,

Yeah I will definitely be taking a closer look at any future purchases. I will try and stress that they refinish the gun if it comes to that but the issue is that it a refinish wont stop it from happening again if the materials are contaminated. Hopefully it is something they can refinish and be done with.

Ruger is capable of replacing your whole gun and giving you the same serial #. 

Well if it comes to that then I will try and see if that is an option. Have you heard of this being done before because that seems like it might be dangerous lol.

Is that a stainless finish? Looks like it from the photos. The rust looks pretty superficial.

I would apply some Flitz paste on the affected areas and let it sit on the metal for 30 minutes. Take a piece of fine steel wool and scrub that rust off. May have to repeat a couple times.

The hammer you will probably have to live with unless you aren't going to really use it. Odds are it isn't stainless, and handling it will cause some oxidation.

As for the frame, some oil and 000 or 0000 steel wool should fix it up. It's probably just oxidized metal particles from the manufacturing process that are stuck on it.

Ruger can replace the hammer, and at worst blast the frame. But this is from normal handling and is something you will have to deal with by normal maintenance anyway. Someone with sweaty hands held it and cocked or decocked it without it getting a wipe down with oil/silicone cloth/etc. Could have been ruger qc, distributor, ffl, or anyone in the chain.

Yeah it sucks I know, but I dont have the $$$ to buy more than one so I usually only pick up 1 at a time.

They cost $2.00 a piece? Perhaps the PD has been less then honest with you about that?

I would try to take care of the rust myself before waiting 6 months to get a replacement pistol. Or have a gunsmith do it. It probably wouldn't be much more then the transfer fee and shipping you would have to pay anyway.

Stainless steel does not rust per se.  However, during machining iron oxide off of the tooling dies does collect on the surface of the steel and rusts.  This is all just on the surface.   This can be cleaned off without any difficulty.  I have seen this many times.  You must clean the backside of the handguards as well.  Use a little Flitz Paste and light rub the area it will come right off.  Or I use Rem Oil and a http://frontiermetalcleaner.com/ pad and it comes right off.  No damage whatsoever.  It is not the steel but foreign material stuck in the pores.  No need to send it back, 20 minutes and your done.

Stainless steel does not rust per se.  However, during machining iron oxide off of the tooling dies does collect on the surface of the steel and rusts.  This is all just on the surface.   This can be cleaned off without any difficulty.  I have seen this many times.  You must clean the backside of the handguards as well.  Use a little Flitz Paste and light rub the area it will come right off.  Or I use Rem Oil and a http://frontiermetalcleaner.com/ pad and it comes right off.  No damage whatsoever.  It is not the steel but foreign material stuck in the pores.  No need to send it back, 20 minutes and your done.

+1

I could not have said it better myself. Thank you.

You are obsessing over something that in the long run doesn't matter. Any gun that gets used is going to get dinged, scratched, corroded, discolored, worn, tarnished, etc.   Let me put it another way, when you buy a brand new car that costs 30 times as much as that gun, if you see a minor scratch on the bumper do you send it back or do you shrug it off because eventually someone is going to hit it with a shopping cart or a door anyway? 

It is a tool, not a collectible. It isn't a $20k Perazzi. 

Oh, and the hammer is tool steel at best, MIM at worse, you don't want it t be stainless and it will keep on doing that no matter what you do. 

Vlad, if I bought a damn Mitsubishi and found the pain was peeling or pitting within a week you bet I'd bring it back to the dealer and get that mended. My problem is that the thing is 100% brand spanking new and I want it to look that way.

I understand that, and if this was a $2000+ custom gun I would agree. However it is a Honda Accord, not a Ferrari, it may be reliable and good, but you are not going to get hand fitting and polish. 

Additionally you are purchasing a firearm during the highest rush we've ever seen, QC is just going to drop. I understand that you are unhappy about this, but this might not be Rugers fault at all, could be that the shop didn't take good care of it. 

Pitting or peeling paint is a far cry from the bit of topical rust in those photo's

Bullzeye and T Bill's advise should take care of it without marring the finish and separating you from your new pistol

I wouldn't use steel wool, the Flitz and a finger rub should do it