MeanderingCuban

Purchasing a Hi-Point Carbine

I have one in .45acp

The trigger doesn't even begin to compare with the Geissele HiSpeed in my spacegun but it's not terrible as long as your finger is in the smooth area of the trigger bow where it is supposed to be.

After almost 2 years, I've still not had to strip it, but I run a boresnake thru it at the range after each session.

Between the carbine and its little brother (a HiPoint .45acp pistol) that run the same factory 9 round and ProMag 14 round mags, they will serve a Patriot well when .gov pulls the flush handle on all of us.

The springy butt on the carbine is a real nice feature as the action is direct blowback. A real thumper with full load 45s.

Can't really go wrong for $200 with a lifetime warranty, and made in America too! (eastern OH)

On another subject, how do you guys feel about the Hi-Point carbines for home defense? I know it's an "ugly" carbine but in a home defense situation I don't think the firearms looks make much of a difference. 

I had a Hi Point and didn't care much for it. I think you would be better off with a pistol or shotgun but, If you want to use a carbine for your HD gun spend a little bit more and get yourself an AR.

I had a Hi Point and didn't care much for it. I think you would be better off with a pistol or shotgun but, If you want to use a carbine for your HD gun spend a little bit more and get yourself an AR.

this is were opinions differ, I bought gfl's hi point 995tsfg and like shooting it just as much as my AR. I've put about 300 rounds through it and haven't had one issue. To me it's a really fun gun that hasn't failed me yet. Would I make it my home defense gun? Not yet but would rather have it then nothing at all.

Zero signal- care to elaborate on what makes a hi point= crap? Any bad experiences after a certain amount of time or some other experiences with them personally.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

this is were opinions differ, I bought gfl's hi point 995tsfg and like shooting it just as much as my AR. I've put about 300 rounds through it and haven't had one issue. To me it's a really fun gun that hasn't failed me yet. Would I make it my home defense gun? Not yet but would rather have it then nothing at all.

Zero signal- care to elaborate on what makes a hi point= crap? Any bad experiences after a certain amount of time or some other experiences with them personally.

I wouldn't call the Hi Point crap. For the money it's a good gun and from what I hear very reliable. I just could not get used to the charging handle on the left side of the gun.

I wouldn't call the Hi Point crap. For the money it's a good gun and from what I hear very reliable. I just could not get used to the charging handle on the left side of the gun.

that is one of the odd ball things. And maybe it's just my hands but the mag release is a tad awkward also. I was just curious as to why zero signal called it crap.

Pistol caliber carbine is a poor interior weapon due to over penetration concerns.... The most ideal hd gun IMO is a small light carbine in 223/556... The round does damage but has very minimal mass therefore it is easily disrupted by interior walls.... Meaning that yes it may hit and hurt someone after an interior wall... But it is more likely to create a shallow less life threatening wound.... 9mm is MORE likely to kill someone after passing through an interior wall when compared to 223/556

Ar15 all day in the home for defense... IMO

All you should be worried about when defending your home is which weapon you can deploy the quickest and neutralize the threat.. Everything else is ancillary....if youre worried about wall penetration then youve already succumbed to the fact that youre gonna miss the threat..

All you should be worried about when defending your home is which weapon you can deploy the quickest and neutralize the threat.. Everything else is ancillary....if youre worried about wall penetration then youve already succumbed to the fact that youre gonna miss the threat..

if you think there is no way you can miss you are not being honest with yourself.. being concerned about what happens IF I miss is responsibility.. I could use my AR in 308.. because if I make a hit I KNOW it will stop the threat... but a 308 rifle in an interior HD situation is not ideal... 

I wouldn't call the Hi Point crap. For the money it's a good gun and from what I hear very reliable. I just could not get used to the charging handle on the left side of the gun.

Being a lefty shooter, I like where the charging handle is. I like the gun, i've yet to have an issue with it.

if you think there is no way you can miss you are not being honest with yourself.. being concerned about what happens IF I miss is responsibility.. I could use my AR in 308.. because if I make a hit I KNOW it will stop the threat... but a 308 rifle in an interior HD situation is not ideal...

first let me apologize to the OP for taking the thread on a tangent and I will zip it after this...Vlad...I fully agree that one can't guarantee a hit and that what's beyond is a responsibility...all Im saying is that what's behind the threat should be considered when you are making the decision to fire...no matter what the round is because ANY round can penetrate and Murphy's law dictates that round will find something or someone else to hit..That chart is very non-specific as to wall thickness, wall material, outside wall covering.frame type etc etc....whats to say the threat isnt in front of a window when the decision is made to shoot...the decision to fire shouldn't be made based on what caliber you have..so for me when I have made the decision to shoot after factoring in the threat and whats beyond it....I want my gun to stop the threat .and for me it will probably be one of my 9mm's or .45 from the safe..maybe a shotty..I know from your posts that your a very knowledgeable shooter so if your completely comfortable employing a .223/5.56...I trust you will have the right tool god forbid you need it..

first let me apologize to the OP for taking the thread on a tangent and I will zip it after this...Vlad...I fully agree that one can't guarantee a hit and that what's beyond is a responsibility...all Im saying is that what's behind the threat should be considered when you are making the decision to fire...no matter what the round is because ANY round can penetrate and Murphy's law dictates that round will find something or someone else to hit..That chart is very non-specific as to wall thickness, wall material, outside wall covering.frame type etc etc....whats to say the threat isnt in front of a window when the decision is made to shoot...the decision to fire shouldn't be made based on what caliber you have..so for me when I have made the decision to shoot after factoring in the threat and whats beyond it....I want my gun to stop the threat .and for me it will probably be one of my 9mm's or .45 from the safe..maybe a shotty..I know from your posts that your a very knowledgeable shooter so if your completely comfortable employing a .223/5.56...I trust you will have the right tool god forbid you need it..

you are not taking the thread off of its course considering the OP is considering the gun as a HD weapon....

I have never had to shoot anyone... but I have shot under high pressure... I have shot in low light.. and I have shot in structures... I am certainly no expert... but I have put in the time I have put.. and read what I have read to try to better understand...

here is what I know..

that wall could be 2 inches thick.. or 12 feet thick.. the point is the mass of the round tends to be what is the most relevant.. a heavy round... tends to carry though objects better than others... so in that regard 556 works well for interior work because there is just not a ton of mass to it.. its a small light round so ANY barrier easily disrupts it..  45... or a shotgun.. to me seem less desirable.. I have seen 12 ga buck punch a solid hole through drywall at HD distances... this to me says it might as well be one solid chunk of lead.. buckshot will sale right through interior wall.. 

I spent a lot of time debating long gun VS handgun... handguns are very nimble... easy to keep tight to your body... but at the end of the day carbine just offers so much more stability.. when I am running and shooting with an elevated heart rate... it is far easier to control a carbine... I can shoot a handgun in that condition.. but not nearly as well as a carbine...

I would go 

carbine

shotgun

handgun

I only carry a handgun because it is impractical to walk around with a carbine.. lol 

I have a 995ts (aka Planet of the Apes gun)with over 700 rds 115gr commercial brass ammo without any problems. I bought this strictly as a range gun, but I'll admit that for a sub $300 carbine it is fun to shoot, and I like that it is as compact as you can legally get before going to a bullpup type platform(mag goes into the handle like an Uzi). The trigger does suck but you can easily get center mass hits if you do your part. I like the sights, they're easy to pick up quickly from a ready position. Mag capacity is only 10. I've had good luck with my 15rd Promag but I've heard these are hit or miss for reliability. I believe nutnfancy has a youtube vid on these rifles.

As far as a HD gun, if this is what I had then I would definitely use it. If I had $1000 more then I'd get an AR. But if home defense is your ultimate goal in this price range then get a shotgun.

Got to chime in I have an older HIPOINT in 9mm hands down one of the best cheap guns out there. I replaced the original stock with an ATI stock. Added a $30.00 dollar red dot I can knock down mini clays all day at at 100 yards. 1000's of rounds not a failure. And one of the best warranty's on the market. But personally home defense pistol grip shotgun is my choice.

Jrfly3006,

I agree with Vlad that you did not take the thread off topic, I think it has and still is evolving well. 

Vlad, I would prefer to use a AR as my primary HD weapon. However, it would take me well over a year and a half to save up for one.  This is why the Hi-point appealed to me.  However, I am not married to the Hi-point. Are there other lower cost options in the 223/556 world that I can consider?

Jrfly3006,

I agree with Vlad that you did not take the thread off topic, I think it has and still is evolving well. 

Vlad, I would prefer to use a AR as my primary HD weapon. However, it would take me well over a year and a half to save up for one.  This is why the Hi-point appealed to me.  However, I am not married to the Hi-point. Are there other lower cost options in the 223/556 world that I can consider?

The price of ARs is coming back down, if you search around you can usually find a NJ compliant S&W M&P sport for ~$600.  So thats what... $250-$300 more than the hi-point?  And I understand the money situation, it took me almost 8 months of buying parts as money allowed, to finish building my AR but it was worth it to me.

I like the Hi-point carbines but wouldnt trust my or my familys lives to one, IMHO it would be worth it to save up the extra coin and get the S&W if your planning on using it for HD/SHTF. 

The price of ARs is coming back down, if you search around you can usually find a NJ compliant S&W M&P sport for ~$600.  So thats what... $250-$300 more than the hi-point?  And I understand the money situation, it took me almost 8 months of buying parts as money allowed, to finish building my AR but it was worth it to me.

I like the Hi-point carbines but wouldnt trust my or my familys lives to one, IMHO it would be worth it to save up the extra coin and get the S&W if your planning on using it for HD/SHTF. 

I agree with you, if I can save the extra money I'll look for a AR-15.

I agree with you, if I can save the extra money I'll look for a AR-15.

One of the cool things about an ar is you could slowly build it up over time... Take them money you were going to put I to a hi point and buy a lower with a lower parts kit... And you can slowly piece it together as you can afford it...

If you want to do a budget build there are always guys like me getting rid of old take off parts cheaply....