Sign in to follow this  
MeanderingCuban

At how many yards is a remington 870 sighted in for?

Hi all, I purchased a Remington 870 Express with a 18" barrel for home defense. As my knowledge has grow (only a tiny bit so far) about firearms I began to wonder many yards a 870 Express with a 18" barrel is sighted in for. My range time has been zero for the last few months so I have not been able to test this. Does Remington sight their 870's in for a specific distance?

There's no sight unless you have rifle or ghost rings. I'm sure it's a bead which is just point and shoot. You can even fire from the hip ;)

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

Oh boy here we go again

And the choke can vary the distance.

The choke controls the spread of the shot. How does that influence sighting?

FWIW I can shoot slugs with a gun with a bead sight and shoot a 6" group at fifty yards pretty much at point of aim. That's using the bead the same way I do when shooting shot. The drop of shot at 50 yds is negligible and compensated for by the pattern.

The choke controls the spread of the shot. How does that influence sighting?

FWIW I can shoot slugs with a gun with a bead sight and shoot a 6" group at fifty yards pretty much at point of aim. That's using the bead the same way I do when shooting shot. The drop of shot at 50 yds is negligible and compensated for by the pattern.

It influences the distance. Run an open choke and aim at something 50 yards away and tell me how well you do. Then try it with a full.

It influences the distance. Run an open choke and aim at something 50 yards away and tell me how well you do. Then try it with a full.

The choke influences the range you can deliver an effective shot pattern not sighting. If you shoot a shot load through an open choke and the same load through a full choke using the same aiming point you will have two different patterns. The open choke will have about a 48" pattern centered around the aiming point and the full choke will have a much denser (18-24" pattern ?) centered around the same aiming point.

If you're shooting birds on the fly at 50 yds with a full choke you may lead them a little less but that's because of the smaller pattern the choke produces. You have much less chance of hitting one with an open choke (deleted not) because of the density of the pattern not the aiming point.

The choke influences the range you can deliver an effective shot pattern not sighting. If you shoot a shot load through an open choke and the same load through a full choke using the same aiming point you will have two different patterns. The open choke will have about a 48" pattern centered around the aiming point and the full choke will have a much denser (18-24" pattern ?) centered around the same aiming point.

If you're shooting birds on the fly at 50 yds with a full choke you may lead them a little less but that's because of the smaller pattern the choke produces. You have much less chance of hitting one with an open choke not because of the density of the pattern not the aiming point.

Like i said before. You wanna argue pm me. I've had enough of it. You aim your gun at something and its accuracy at distance can be altered by many things. One of them is the choke. The tighter the choke the farther it holds a pattern. Then it is accurate at a longer distance.

Not to worry... It's a pee pee thing. ;)

I'm trying to figure out what you guys are arguing about, and can only come up with semantics.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Like i said before. You wanna argue pm me. I've had enough of it. You aim your gun at something and its accuracy at distance can be altered by many things. One of them is the choke. The tighter the choke the farther it holds a pattern. Then it is accurate at a longer distance.

The proper terminology is pattern density at a given ("longer") distance will be the result of how much choke constriction is at the muzzle. (And there are other variables besides choke that also affect pattern density. Forcing cone, bore diameter, condition of bore, amount of shot, shot size, length of parallel in choke all have contributing factors.)

The proper terminology is pattern density at a given ("longer") distance will be the result of how much choke constriction is at the muzzle. (And there are other variables besides choke that also affect pattern density. Forcing cone, bore diameter, condition of bore, amount of shot, shot size, length of parallel in choke all have contributing factors.)

All that is a lot to throw at a new shooter who was basically asking how far of a shot he can take.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi all, I purchased a Remington 870 Express with a 18" barrel for home defense. As my knowledge has grow (only a tiny bit so far) about firearms I began to wonder many yards a 870 Express with a 18" barrel is sighted in for. My range time has been zero for the last few months so I have not been able to test this. Does Remington sight their 870's in for a specific distance?

Anything you point at inside your house you should have no trouble hitting. Range shouldn't matter on a home defense shotgun. Its only intent and purpose is in the name "home defense". You're probably never going to use it outside the home for hunting purposes, and if you did I wouldn't imagine much success at more than 35 to 40 yards with an open choke and 18" barrel. If your looking for more distance and improved accuracy out of that 870 pick yourself up a 28" barrel. You can swap back to the 18 once you get home.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

IF there is a bead on a 18" barrel it's there just for a "point of reference".  Neither Remington nor anybody else "sights-in" a 18" Cylinder-Bore Hallway Gun!  They just put a bead on it because you won't buy it if it doesn't have a bead, lol!  

In a Home Defense situation, you point a shotgun, not aim it, so the bead is there almost just "for looks", since Noobs need a common form of reference.  Nobody goes afield with a Riot Gun (what us Old Guys call a 18" Sawed-Off Scattergun) to mercilessly wound game animals.  Instead, they buy and use a hunting shotgun with at least a 2' barrel or longer, and then use interchangeable chokes!

As for the pissing contest----------GRIZ and Parker are correct!  Choke controls pattern density.  Aiming point is determined by "patterning" a shotgun on a patterning board.  If your shotty was built on a Monday by a dude that binge drinks all weekend, your ventilated rib could be slightly mis-aligned, thus causing your aiming point to be in serious need of "adjustment" at game-taking ranges.  And since you can't "adjust" the bead, you have to "learn where to aim", ala Kentucky Windage and Elevation.........

Slugs in a Cylinder-Bore Riot Gun are for door breaching and to take-out Zombies on PCP, not for hunting.  IF by chance you find a magic combo of just the right designed slug for your tube, congrats, you just hit the lottery!  Most guys buy a separate rifled barrel with open adjustable iron sights to use for slugs for deer, and even escaped Bulls from the circus (see Woodbridge PD files about 32 years ago or so, lol).

Dave

Shootist and Old Fudd

Ok dave please tell me this. if you took a shotgun with an improved choke and sat it on a gun bench. Looked straight down the barrel and after each shot you moved the target farther away. how would have the save effective on target range as if you did the same thing with a full choke.

Please explain that to me because I'd live to hear it. Hell make a video of it.

Ahhh, come on... I know mine will go at least 2 yards... At least mine and the neighbors... Even further if I point it up a little so it goes over the fence instead of right through it. ;)

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Bhunted that's right. In a house it won't matter. It's all point and click. Just ask joe Biden. But the guy asked if there was a certain distance an 870 was sighted in at. Since its a bead and not an adjustable sight you have to just look straight down the barrel. As far as effecting the distance that the gun will be sighted at the choke is what will control that. That is what will give you more or less distance with the same ammo and not aiming high. The tighter choke will hold the group longer so it will have a longer effective range.

But there are a few people on here that always seem to find a way to attack my posts. Even when there is nothing to attack. And don't even get me started on the other one to chime in on this post.

You do know I'm goofing around trying to lighten the thread with a little humor. Seriously, only 2 yards? Get it? You really do need to lay off the ludes... ;)

Bhunted that's right. In a house it won't matter. It's all point and click. Just ask joe Biden. But the guy asked if there was a certain distance an 870 was sighted in at. Since its a bead and not an adjustable sight you have to just look straight down the barrel. As far as effecting the distance that the gun will be sighted at the choke is what will control that. That is what will give you more or less distance with the same ammo and not aiming high. The tighter choke will hold the group longer so it will have a longer effective range.

But there are a few people on here that always seem to find a way to attack my posts. Even when there is nothing to attack. And don't even get me started on the other one to chime in on this post.

The majority of shotguns today, much like those at the turn of the century more than a hundred years ago, are "sighted in" to converge the smoothbore's pattern to hit point of aim at 40 yds. That's the standard. You will read about two terms with firearms. POI (point of impact) and POA (point of aim.) POI is where your pattern or slug goes in relation to where you aimed (POA.) The gun's characteristics and build precision dictates how close those two converge with something as rudimentary as a single bead.

Your results may vary, for every gun is an individual as well as you the shooter (with a shotgun and single bead front sight, your eye is the rear sight for argument's sake,) but that is the general rule of thumb. So, it's imperative that you get some range time to familiarize yourself with your new scattergun.

PS - As for 00 buckshot, based on the angle it's fired at (more than 20 degrees,) the shot charge can travel about 800 yds. or more. Slugs will travel twice that distance with a similar hold trajectory.

I hope my posts weren't taken as offensive. Just bringing some clarity to the question.

There was a time in my life I knew nothing, so no question is stupid. By the grace of God I've learned a thing or two over the years.

Ok dave please tell me this. if you took a shotgun with an improved choke and sat it on a gun bench. Looked straight down the barrel and after each shot you moved the target farther away. how would have the save effective on target range as if you did the same thing with a full choke.

Please explain that to me because I'd live to hear it. Hell make a video of it.

I don't quite understand this sentence, so please forgive me if I mis-interpret.

If you move the target further away and you're using birdshot or buckshot, the pattern would cover a larger area with ANY given choke.  Since a Cylinder Bore barrel on a Remmy 870 Riot Gun will let the wad open up at the muzzle, some of the shot will hit higher on the patterning target at longer ranges, without having to tilt the barrel up.  It won't be effective beyond a certain physical distance, but it will happen.  And some of the pattern will widen-up to the point of hitting the ground 35+ yards in front of you, when fired from your shoulder.  

Using a Full Choke will tighten the pattern and lengthen the effective range in most guns.  But since the OP is talking about a Cylinder-Bore Riot Gun, it makes little sense in this case to bring-up choke.  At across-the-room distances you can still miss a stationary target due to improper pointing/aiming of the Riot Gun, because the pattern doesn't get a chance to "open-up".  At 45+ yards there's more than a fair chance that all 9 pellets of buckshot fired at a Perp from the Riot Gun will miss their mark, and this is even in FBI Training Videos I've seen.

To compound this post even further, consider if you will the effect of air density AND distance birdshot succumbs to.  Fine #8 leaves the muzzle at 1200 fps with a 3 Dram load, then hits the air and starts slowing down.  000-Buck has more inertia and physical mass, so it travels farther than birdshot and hits harder.  Where a pattern hits a target is more determined by the build of the gun than anything else (see my example of a mis-manufactured ventilated-rib barrel in Post #22).  Adding a second barrel and making the gun a SxS or a O/U now requires that the barrels become "regulated" so they both shoot to a uniform POA.  Same science applies to single-barrel shotguns' patterns on a patterning board.

I'm not "looking for trouble", so let's all just get-along, O-K?

Dave