Howard

Help, I need a new router

I just switched to a Netgear WNDR4500 and been very happy with its performance so far. The other one I would also consider is the ASUS RT-AC66U but the Netgear has a lifetime warranty.

I also have the netgear and it runs very well.

Edited by SFDevine7

Howard, what are you currently using? How many devices do you have connected to wifi?

Currently have a old Linksys 2.4ghz 54G unit.  Its got four Ethernet ports and I have another 5 port switch plugged into it.  Got a bunch of hardwired machines and a couple on wifi including an iPad, iPhone and now the Chromecast unit.

Howard: What bandwidth are you currently provided by your ISP? That is the most important question.

Any run-of-the-mill router will provide 10MB service with no problem at all. And if you have (for example) DSL at 1.5MB service, the router is not your constraint.

And even if you have Verizon FIOS at 10MB+, most run-of-the-mill routers today are 100MB on every port.

A 'better' router will not overcome or improve the bandwidth provided by your ISP. If you have a degraded streaming experience, increasing your ISP bandwidth is almost always the first place to go.

The Internet 'chain' is only as fast as its slowest link.

I've got cablevision which give 15 mb down and 5mb up. The current router is fine for most Internet stuff but not for streaming video or transferring computer to computer.

The Chromecast is great, I even have it streaming Amazon Prime video, but I am having latency issues due to the router I think.

OK. Now compare 15MB down with the ports' speed (10 or 100?) of your current router, AND the total aggregate throughput of the router. (The maximum amount of traffic the router can pass in total across all ports.)

The bottom line is that if your router (the current one or a new one) will pass an aggregate over 15MB, and 15MB on every port, than you're doing the best you can.

And since you're on cable, do your best to verify that you actually HAVE 15MB down service that's consistent. (And doesn't seriously degrade during the evening hours of heavy use.) Cable companies (and other ISPs as well) often over subscribe their trunk lines that service the individual branches. What that means is that even though your individual service is ready and able to pass 15MB, you won't get it if there's 1,500 other homes competing with you for limited (and insufficient) bandwidth on the back end trunks.

Thanks I do understand the nature of how cable shares bandwidth. The problem with the current router is when sharing "stuff" within the home not really with downloading from the net. I think the issue with the chromecast streaming Amazon video is that I am downloading it over the net to my PC which is then sending it back to the router via Caating and then it is going via WiFi to the Chromecast unit.

He may be getting 15mb down consistent, but the TV with the Chromecast may be somewhat far away from the router. Wireless G has a lot less range/bandwidth compared to Wireless N+.

Actually the TV and my computer and the router are actually all in one very large room.

I think the issue with the chromecast streaming Amazon video is that I am downloading it over the net to my PC which is then sending it back to the router via Caating and then it is going via WiFi to the Chromecast unit.

Chromecast doesn't do that.  Once you initiate the connection with the chromecast, it stops using the bandwidth on your PC and connects to the internet directly.

Chromecast doesn't do that. Once you initiate the connection with the chromecast, it stops using the bandwidth on your PC and connects to the internet directly.

That is only true for YouTube and Netflix and any other stuff that has chromecast support built in. Amazon does not support it so you are actually simultaneously downloading it and then sending to the router and then to the Chromecast unit so you need triple bandwidth. It is even more bandwidth hungry than streaming an avi or mk4 file from your computer.

The one I asked about does support that standard:  http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WR1043ND

I don't have chromecast but I've had the TL-WR1043ND for about 3.5 years now running dd-wrt firmware. Not sure about the factory firmware but ours has been a great performer with dd-wrt with excellent wireless coverage. We have no issues Streaming Netfix or HBO-Go, that is unless Netflix is having issues on their end...

Hmm is it jsut me, or does anyone else find it odd that you are going to drop $100 to use a cheap video streamer rather than just having dropped $100 on a roku3 or similar that supports the services you want? 

Hmm is it jsut me, or does anyone else find it odd that you are going to drop $100 to use a cheap video streamer rather than just having dropped $100 on a roku3 or similar that supports the services you want? 

Roku would still need more throughput - that's the issue right now, I think.  Old Linksys Wireless-G router - they go bad and get slow after a couple years.  It's more of an investment in his infrastructure.  Most people don't think about that.  Faster, newer infrastructure = more productivity/value.

No its just this is the final straw that is making me go look for a faster router, and while I am at it I want one that will help with the video throughput.  I have too much bandwidth being pulled from the old 54G unit from all the toys in the house and I think it has degraded over time as well.