tony357

14-year-old teen fatally shot by New York City police officer

NEW YORK (AP) -- A rookie police officer shot and killed a 14-year-old boy on a street early Sunday after he refused to drop his gun and pointed it in the direction of officers, authorities said.

Shaaliver Douse died of a single gunshot to his jaw after the confrontation in the Melrose section of the Bronx.

Two officers with the New York Police Department were on foot patrol when they heard gunfire at around 3 a.m. The officers responded to the scene and found the boy with a 9mm handgun firing shots at a fleeing man, authorities said.

Police released two surveillance videos Sunday evening that show a man they've identified as Douse, wearing a white T-shirt and jeans, fire at a group of men standing outside a bodega and then chasing after one of them.

Police said Douse fired four shots in all.

The officers identified themselves as police and ordered him to drop his weapon, authorities said.

"The officers ordered Douse to drop the gun but instead he fired another round," NYPD Commissioner Raymond Kelly said at a news conference. "It is undetermined at this time whether he fired at the officers or a fourth time at the unknown male who had just run past the officers."

When he pointed his gun in the direction of officers, one of the officers shot him, police said. Douse was pronounced dead at the scene.

The two officers had joined the department in January.

Douse's aunt, Quwana Barcene, told the New York Post the boy was an only child.

"It's not fair. It was my sister's only child. You shouldn't have to bury your child," she said.

Douse had been in trouble with the law before.

He was charged in May with attempted murder after a 15-year-old boy was shot in a Bronx neighborhood where Douse lived. That shooting took place two miles from where Douse was later shot to death.

Douse was also charged with assault, criminal possession of a weapon and menacing in connection to the incident.

The prosecution of Douse was then deferred, said Steven Reed, a spokesman for the Bronx District Attorney's Office. The office had insufficient evidence to proceed, and the victim was unable to identify his shooter, he said.

The case was still open, Reed said.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20130806/teen.fatally.shot.NYC.police.officer/

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/05/nyregion/officer-fatally-shoots-armed-teenager-in-bronx-police-say.html?_r=0

Seriously? Comparing this to Trayvon Martin?

the boy’s aunt, Quwana Barcene, 35, who compared her nephew to Trayvon Martin in Florida

:facepalm:

Well, it's a valid comparison. 2 thugs who got dead while trying to kill somone.

Works for me.

i say good job on the police officers part, i mean really, shouldnt have to bury your only child? what about the 15 year old child he allegedly tried to kill? maybe you should have been a better parent/aunt to the kid rather than letting him running around at 3am with a gun.... No sympathy from me either, itll save NY money for not having to keep him in jail anyway.

i say good job on the police officers part, i mean really, shouldnt have to bury your only child? what about the 15 year old child he allegedly tried to kill? maybe you should have been a better parent/aunt to the kid rather than letting him running around at 3am with a gun.... No sympathy from me either, itll save NY money for not having to keep him in jail anyway.

+1

I saw this last night on the news, and I think the cops did a good job from what I hear. And I think the kid deserved what he got. No loss of sleep here.

I am a little surprised they didn't make Swiss cheese out of him. Normally it's like 3 to 4 cops, shooting 15 bullets each, and hitting at lease 4 to 5 of those, while the remainder hit bystanders.... Just saying.

I feel bad for the cop.  He's probably 20 something and had to kill a kid basically.  Probably gonna fugg him up for a while. 

I'm with you on this one.

Doesn't matter if it was a kid, or an adult. Firing a gun at people, then turning and shooting in the direction of the police, that was pretty damn stupid. Good shot by the cop, hit the intended target and neutralized the threat. Tough poop to the parents/relatives of this thug.

Surprised he only fired one bullet actually. Aren't police told to shoot until there is no threat. But like most I feel no sympathy. Had he surrendered he would of been back on the streets in MAYBE a year and doing it all over again.

Kid was a rookie. He probably shot with his eyes closed. 

Kid was a rookie. He probably shot with his eyes closed. 

That cop must have the buffest trigger finger known to man. Especially to pull off one shot, to the head, with a gun that has like a 12-13 pound trigger. 

Rookie or not, thats a damn remarkable shot. 

I have no pity for this young fellow. There are plenty of programs in place that he could have reaped the benefits of instead of resorting to a life of violence. I know plenty of people that have cleaned up their acts and found well paying jobs/joined a union that used to be thugs. 

That cop must have the buffest trigger finger known to man. Especially to pull off one shot, to the head, with a gun that has like a 12-13 pound trigger.

Rookie or not, thats a damn remarkable shot.

Not taking anything away from the kid. Just saying he was probably scared shit.

Surprised he only fired one bullet actually. Aren't police told to shoot until there is no threat. But like most I feel no sympathy. Had he surrendered he would of been back on the streets in MAYBE a year and doing it all over again.

We are trained to Shoot to stop, My dept trained us to shoot 2 rounds, assess 2 rounds assess and so on until there is no longer a threat. As for what happens in real world shoots, I don't want to find out.

i aint losing sleep over it. looks like the rookie was a good shot.

+1

I feel bad for the cop.  He's probably 20 something and had to kill a kid basically.  Probably gonna fugg him up for a while. 

As long as he remembers that he did what he had to do to go home at the end of the shift it shouldn't be to bad but he will never forget it.

. Aren't police told to shoot until there is no threat. But like most I feel no sympathy.

Everyone is taught different things but that seems to be the new school of thought.  Although shoot 2 reassess allows you to come back to the target and not shoot everywhere, sometimes you need to keep shooting until the threat is gone.

one story said he apparently struck him in the head...probably was no doubt it was over

Exactly. They're both boys who were criminals-to-be, and thankfully, have been eradicated before more crime was commited.

We are trained to Shoot to stop, My dept trained us to shoot 2 rounds, assess 2 rounds assess and so on until there is no longer a threat. As for what happens in real world shoots, I don't want to find out.

ah ok. I had heard it was fire till they stop lol. But I guess 1 shot to the head will stop the person.

Am I a bad person for not feeling sympathetic? Especially given the kids criminal history at 14.

I feel like you however, the kid wasn't raised right and this is clearly on the parents.  I think more laws or tougher penalties for parents of kids like this may help.

I feel like you however, the kid wasn't raised right and this is clearly on the parents.  I think more laws or tougher penalties for parents of kids like this may help.

This!  Why didn't the mother take care of her 14-year-old son?  WTFudge was the kid doing out at 3:00 AM?

Kudos to that officer.  He will most likely need a lot of support, as he had to shoot that boy, and because, I guess he was racially profiling the gun-wielding menace. Oh, wait, race wasn't mentioned.  Well, throw it in, anyway.  Imagine if a citizen, instead, took care of business and consequently saved the lives of innocents.  And how did a 14-year-old boy get an illegal gun in an unconstitutional city where they are banned, huh, Mayor Bloomberg?  Maybe if the boy was drinking a big gulp somewhere, this would not have happened.   And, why would the progressives and the New York Slimes have an issue with this justified killing... late-term abortion? Clearly this boy was a thug (with a criminal background), or mentally ill, or perhaps on drugs.  Maybe the boy had been defending himself when the officers stumbled upon him, but it's unlikely.  Definitely a continued sign of the deteriorating culture and a bleeding nation.