I've heard stories of people who do "couponing" like it's a job...buying coupons and belonging to coupon websites...who walk out of a grocery store with $125 in products but having spent $5.  It is impressive what someone dedicated can save...

Before seeing this thread today, I started a list of what I want in a bug out bag for my car.  Not exactly the same thing, but I want a set of supplies for a situation that might otherwise prevent my getting home to the supplies here.  All the prepping in the world won't mean anything if I'm stranded far away and can't get home...

I've heard stories of people who do "couponing" like it's a job...buying coupons and belonging to coupon websites...who walk out of a grocery store with $125 in products but having spent $5.  It is impressive what someone dedicated can save...

Before seeing this thread today, I started a list of what I want in a bug out bag for my car.  Not exactly the same thing, but I want a set of supplies for a situation that might otherwise prevent my getting home to the supplies here.  All the prepping in the world won't mean anything if I'm stranded far away and can't get home...

im telling you I always called couponing stupid.. I always said we are not that tight for money... but all I was doing was throwing money in the trash can... I cant wait to see what we end up saving next year... she is kind of using this year getting into it... 

you need to know the policies for stores and all that...but once you get that down its pretty easy.. 

I think the least glamorous but most important part of prepping is water supply. You can live months without food, days without water. Every time I go to Costo, I pick up a case of bottled water. It won't go bad, and we can always drink it.

I also pick up canned tomatoes and kidney beans, because those are the only two canned foods I use on a regular basis. I keep a large stock and rotate it through my normal cooking.

Anyone who isn't at least moderately prepped after two long stretches of no electricity and no phone in two years is foolish.

I agree that hurricane Sandy type breakdowns are less likely than zombie apocalypse, but where I live, in an affluent suburb a few minute drive down 78 from less affluent inner cities, minor crack in the social welfare infrastructure could rapidly devolve into a zombie apocalypse.

Here's a good idea of how it might happen. This guy's books and essays are great. He's extrapolated the direction our country is headed, and it's not pretty.

http://westernrifleshooters.wordpress.com/2012/09/03/bracken-when-the-music-stops-how-americas-cities-may-explode-in-violence/

I keep a small tool bag fully stocked with all basic hand tools including a pocket chainsaw. I keep a full change of clothes sealed in travel space bags along with a winter hat, gloves and an old sweatshirt. If I'm traveling any farther than just the normal commute I always keep a few bottles of water and granola bars

Gotta tell you , those little Hondas are worth every cent. Mine is going on 10 years old and I use it all the time where you would do without power normally. No hassle, clean and quiet. Expensive but long lasting and one blown piece of electronic equipment and the diff in price goes away. Did I mention they last long?

I have a 6500 watt honda inverter. Part of my prepped plan is to also get a small harbor freight generator as a backup. It's cheap and disposable. Or I may get a cheap diesel generator. Reason being that a diesel can run on biodiesel such as waste oil. Diesel also doesn't go bad quickly.

Also looking at a cheap solar panel or two. Coupled with a battery and inverter it can power small things. I have a 12 volt chest fridge that I can run on solar. I can also power my ham radios.

I live in Essex Country just outside of Newark. I like to think that I have the Prepper Mindset, and after reading "One Second After" by William Forstchen and the Rawles books that I began putting together some better than average preps. Those books even pushed me to get into firearms. However, after seeing how quickly people broke down up here, even in the very mild after-effects of Sandy in this area I realized two things:

1) Preparation really only works if a critical mass of other folks in your area are also prepared, otherwise you become a severely outnumbered prey, thus making your preparations useless;

2) No one in the Newark area is prepared, or even has the mindset. In fact, I would argue that at the very least, 90% of people around here are in the Anti-Prepper camp -- living and organizing their lives under the expectation that Gov't will save them in any extremity, thus negating the need to be prepared.

So, over the past year I have shifted my prepping focus away from acquiring stuff to contingency planning. I have become an entrenched pessimist and see no point in persisting in the fantasy that if anything worse than a hurricane happens that my family and I can ride out the inevitable social unrest here, in NE New Jersey. There are just way too many people here and in NYC to make this feasible. So my preps consist of outlining what can possibly happen and setting up plans for what to do, where to go and what to bring in the event it happens. Yes, I am a defeatist and my first instinct is now to flee at the first sign of serious trouble. The potential consequences of staying put and facing the hordes are too dire.

Maybe south Jersey is different, as the massive urban centers of Philly/Camden will tend to spill their people west in the event and a catastrophe or social breakdown. That same westward movement out of the cities up here puts all of northern NJ in the crosshairs and building up a substantial cache of supplies will weigh you down and only become a feast for others.

So, short and medium term, we're ready. Long-term, Big Event stuff, we're flexible.

Let's not overlook first aid kits and training here.

Short term, I'm fairly good-to-go.  Mid to long-term, I'm getting there.

As far as doomsday prepping, if I stay put, I can go for a few weeks as I'm in a rural area with plenty of hunting / foraging area around me.  There are all sorts of tasty wild & domestic critters within a short walk as well as clean water.  During growing season, I've got access to a variety of goodies.  I've also recently picked up this book and look forward to trying out some of the plants:

"A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and central North America"  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-field-guide-to-edible-wild-plants-lee-allen-peterson/1003601670?ean=9780395926222

Let's not overlook first aid kits and training here.

More later.

Yes ^

I can't believe I forgot to mention that. That's how people die...

Even a serious kit with sutures, surgical etc. and the TRAINING.

EMT courses are a worthwhile investment.

And I'll add to that a proper dog. One that can work with the group. That will be a part of the solution. In short a MWD. I'm partial to GSDs myself.

Thanks for the info on the generators, I'll be doing some research on them...

what about food stores... what are you guys doing to stockpile food? MRE's? Are you going to the lengths of canning fresh foods in season?

I like to keep a couple of weeks of real food for the short term. What you make everyday. For the mid term I like longer lasting staples that we would use anyway just more of it and a easy FIFO rotating system. I bought some used shelves from a closed restaurant for next to nothing that stack cans and dry goods so that you load from back and take from front. Ez-Peezy.

I did break down and bought some months supply of the wise food. First I was gifted a container with an small assortment and me and the family tried it one weekend. Not bad. Doesn't look like the picture but not bad. We even boiled water in the fireplace.

Having mentioned that, I have to give my most heartfelt advice. The first time you use a prep shouldn't be the first time you use a prep.

How many have gensets in boxes? Food that they would have to read the instructions to make? Not opened a first aid kit until you are bleeding. For instance, Quikclot is a wonderful invention but it can make things worse. Ant at GFH is doing a class on just QuikClot alone. Worthwhile if you have it in your kit.

I can't stress this enough. Buy two use one in normal times. Expose your family to them as well. As we all learned during Irene and Sandy, fighting multiple fronts, needs vs wants vs attitudes vs comfort is a recipe for disaster.

Just my 2¢

1) Preparation really only works if a critical mass of other folks in your area are also prepared, otherwise you become a severely outnumbered prey, thus making your preparations useless;

Sort of. If you live where I do that does not apply because our area isn't as densely populated and is in fact quite rural. After Sandy while those down below were lining up for gas in miles long lines but we had no such problems. Not necessarily the gas stations in town but further beyond. 

But if you live away from the city you are kind of already prepared anyway. We can do without the grid for a while. 

With a lot of property you can also fend off intruders because you see them coming from a long distance away. 

Funny how the birth of a child changes everything.

I have a different take on the prepper thing.

A division's worth of Ammo, precious metals, bug out vehicles. If it comes to our having to need all that we are sunk and my heartfelt belief is that chances for that are extremely slim. I instead concentrated my resources on short and mid length disruptions to our way of life. A couple solid weeks of real food. (Some wise stuff stashed also never hurts) Some water and a source of water to flush. Although for a major widespread disruption in water supply, not necessarily potable, seems unlikely. I would recommend saving and making some sacrifices for a whole house genny that runs on natural gas. It really is a game changer for the type of real world disruptions that we are likely to face. A portable gas generator is ok, but remember the gas problem.

With children I also keep about 6 months(yup, that much) of their medicines. A sick child with no relief can make every other prep meaningless. I have a daughter with borderline asthma. I have a battery operated nebulizer and albuterol. My doctor believes that everyone should keep a supply. Respiratory issues in adults and kids has been the undoing of the best laid plans. While I'm at it, some EMT/first aid training, I believe, is the best prep next to a whole house generator.

And here is where I break with most preppers. I keep a healthy supply of cash in the safe with the guns. In a real financial problem, in the short term, cash will be scarce. See the Cyprus unpleasantness. That will be the "gold" not gold itself. If the SHTF for real it will take some time for a local trading economy to develop. And if that happens for real, you have ammo which magically turns into most everything. Ask yourself this, a mild SHTF situation happens, natural disaster knocks out electricity, telecommunications and the Internet. A week in some guy wants to trade a 1oz gold coin for some gasoline. How do you know it's real? Would you do it? But if he has a $20 you have a better sense of trust. I also ditched cable for TV and got directv. During sandy I had news and kept the kids busy. It took over 2 weeks to restore cable tv. Same goes for hard line phone. My Verizon landline was working through the storm. The triple play customers were screwed after the batteries and generators at the cell sites ran out. Remember with the tree damage, they couldn't get diesel up to the sites.

Obviously this is one mans opinion. And, of course open to debate. But as much as "Red Dawn" zombie apocalypse, EMP and super flu scenarios have some romantic attraction for prepper types, I believe that smaller manageable scenarios are the most likely and the most survivable without reverting to the Stone Age . With a little prep.

Interesting post (as I'm sure more are, but I haven't gotten to the end of the thread yet)...

There is a good  book from years and years ago call Lucifer's Hammer, which is basically a post-doomsday story that takes place after a large asteroid hit.  The scientist character was careful to wrap up some textbooks (How things work texts) in plastic and store them in his septic tank.  No marauders would think to fish around in that.

The valuables became liquor and spices, for the purpose of trading.  It is a really good beach read in any case.

But your strategy of storing cash has me wondering.  Since currency is fiat-based, backed by the full faith and credit of the US Gov't, what happens when there is no gov't?  It's just a slip of paper.  I get the uncertainty of whether gold might be faked or not, but the paper money still relies on everyone to keep accepting it as value in their minds.

\

For me, gold, cash, silver, all have no other purpose.  On the other hand, a bottle of Chevas can go a long way in a barter situation, as well as the dried and canned foods of course.

The question was raised earlier about de-chlorinating pool water.  I looked into this since I have 30,000 gallons that could be used.  City tapwater is already about 3 parts per million chlorinated, on average.  My swimming pool is typically about 5ppm for algae control, and that burns away after a few days, so that would not be a concern for drinking.  I would still boil it though, as there could be accumulated animal/bird droppings in there over time.   When the chlorine dissipates, there is no telling what might start growing in there.

Interesting post (as I'm sure more are, but I haven't gotten to the end of the thread yet)...

There is a good  book from years and years ago call Lucifer's Hammer, which is basically a post-doomsday story that takes place after a large asteroid hit.  The scientist character was careful to wrap up some textbooks (How things work texts) in plastic and store them in his septic tank.  No marauders would think to fish around in that.

The valuables became liquor and spices, for the purpose of trading.  It is a really good beach read in any case.

But your strategy of storing cash has me wondering.  Since currency is fiat-based, backed by the full faith and credit of the US Gov't, what happens when there is no gov't?  It's just a slip of paper.  I get the uncertainty of whether gold might be faked or not, but the paper money still relies on everyone to keep accepting it as value in their minds.

\

For me, gold, cash, silver, all have no other purpose.  On the other hand, a bottle of Chevas can go a long way in a barter situation, as well as the dried and canned foods of course.

I think a small supply of cash money would be useful in a short-term disaster--such as Sandy, but bigger.  If you can't get cash out of an ATM due to electricity or because they are emptied out and can't be restocked I think a few hundred dollars would be useful in the short term--if it goes longer than a month, or if it looks like a permanent govt breakdown then the cash is going to be worth much much less.  But it is still some nice, sturdy paper; surely you could use it for something ;-) 

Honestly if Government broke down, cash would be the last thing on my mind. At that point I would be prepared to produce my own food and other essentials. One of the good things we have is a stream on the property so I can harness that for energy generation (micro hydro) or fresh water if the well is unable to produce. 

I actually laughed out loud when I read this, it was pretty funny and accurate.

Big however... While the pipelines are "underground", there are Compression stations every 50 miles of pipeline in NJ, then Distribution stations which regulate the pressure of the pipelines and they are all above ground. There are WAY too many variables to say that an earthquake, flood or other type of disaster would not cause some sort of corruption of the lines over a mid term length disaster.

That is why I personally feel in my opinion it would be a good idea to have the triple conversion installed. Natural gas, gas and propane.

natural gas distribution runs on ... natural gas, not that much of a surprise, really. It is probably one of the most resilient infrastructures we have,  it is under ground, it is self propelled (for lack of a better word), and around here cheap and plentiful.

Looks like i'll be putting in a little overtime to get the upgraded generator, I scored a Used 9300w Champion right after sandy (store return) but i would like a more permeant/long term solution. I'll be looking in to some of the ones mentioned above.

I've picked up a few cases of MRE's and Wise meals for now. the wife has yet to try them... I don't know why, they're pretty tasty.... 

If the SHTF and things really get hot we will most likely move away from the more concentrated areas and move inland and join up with family. I am more concerned with the short and mid term threats. People without food or water "foraging" for things... and the LOOTING. Protecting my family and making sure they have food and shelter is my primary concern.

I actually laughed out loud when I read this, it was pretty funny and accurate.

Big however... While the pipelines are "underground", there are Compression stations every 50 miles of pipeline in NJ, then Distribution stations which regulate the pressure of the pipelines and they are all above ground. There are WAY too many variables to say that an earthquake, flood or other type of disaster would not cause some sort of corruption of the lines over a mid term length disaster.

That is why I personally feel in my opinion it would be a good idea to have the triple conversion installed. Natural gas, gas and propane.

Nothing is unbreakable including the tweaked carb on the tri-fuel generators. My point was that of the existing energy transmission methods it is the more reliable, not an unbreakable object  that no man nor backhoe nor tectonic plate can disturb ;)

Generator that runs on propane and enough fuel for a couple of weeks + my 'squirrel hole' that my wife laughs at me about, but in all serious realizes I'm looking out for our families best interest... oh yeah, and a stash of ammo + some firearms :)

I am not arguing, but now you are getting into semantics. There is a big difference from hundreds of variables and a part that could save your ass.

NJNG had MANY more issues then Mantoloking when Sandy hit. Relying on one source of fuel IN MY OPINION is not the best bet.

Nothing is unbreakable including the tweaked carb on the tri-fuel generators. My point was that of the existing energy transmission methods it is the more reliable, not an unbreakable object  that no man nor backhoe nor tectonic plate can disturb ;)

They sell different types of kits. Check them out here. http://www.uscarburetion.com/

I have a basic liquid gas (gas station gasoline) gen for partial house power.  Are the Propane conversions available for any model?

There is a good book from years and years ago call Lucifer's Hammer, which is basically a post-doomsday story that takes place after a large asteroid hit. The scientist character was careful to wrap up some textbooks (How things work texts) in plastic and store them in his septic tank. No marauders would think to fish around in that.

The valuables became liquor and spices, for the purpose of trading. It is a really good beach read in any case.

But your strategy of storing cash has me wondering. Since currency is fiat-based, backed by the full faith and credit of the US Gov't, what happens when there is no gov't? It's just a slip of paper. I get the uncertainty of whether gold might be faked or not, but the paper money still relies on everyone to keep accepting it as value in their minds.

For me, gold, cash, silver, all have no other purpose. On the other hand, a bottle of Chevas can go a long way in a barter situation, as well as the dried and canned foods of course.

It is a classic myth that society will go from today and Walmart, tdbank, 7-11 and strip joints to road warrior overnight. Obviously on the Road Warrior's world, fiat money, and I reckon precious metals, would be worthless.

But short of an ELE we would slide into Road Warrior's World(RWW) at a modest rate. It is during that time that we would need the cash. Our government, as flawed as it is, is still the beacon of the world. Should a tipping point occur that could send us spiraling down to RWW there would be months, if not years where those greenbacks would be precious. After that then it's ammo, guns, liquor and smarts.

That's actually a good idea for a project. A chart that shows the steps, and name them, from room service at the Four Seasons to fighting your dog for a half eaten squirrel carcass.

Honestly if Government broke down, cash would be the last thing on my mind. At that point I would be prepared to produce my own food and other essentials. One of the good things we have is a stream on the property so I can harness that for energy generation (micro hydro) or fresh water if the well is unable to produce. 

Absolutely, but there is a huge continuum of possible scenarios between a small storm that knocks out power for a day and complete govt breakdown or apocalypse (e.g. large meteor strike, super-volcano, zombies).  I think cash would be pretty useful in a shorter event of less than 2-4 weeks.

Anyone looking at or using wind turbines or solar options?  I was in Yuma last May and drove up to Castle Dome mine museum and ghost town (I highly recommend this place if you visit the Yuma area).  It is run by a couple who live on-site and he was telling me they are completely off the grid--they really have no choice.  But he has a small wind turbine and solar cells--it is sunny almost every day there.  Claimed he produces/stores enough electricity for everything he needs.  I kind of envied the guy as he is telling me he does not have to deal with code, permits etc and he is responsible for his own safety and survival.  I think that is about as free as one can get.  But I am not sure how difficult/practical it would be to do something like that here--I am sure I would have code and permit difficulties if I tried to erect a wind turbine.

What would you go with for a generator conversion kit - NG or propane?  I have both available, but the NG would need some sort of plumbing, I would imagine.  If the NG line is still running, that would give me unlimited gas, whereas the 20 pound BBQ propane tanks will run out in a few days (I don't have space for a large tank anyway)