Teky0101

Exploding Targets in the News

Hello Everyone,

I saw this article and wanted to share it. Do you think this is another attack on gun owners or do you think in the wrong hands these targets pose a real concern? Being in NJ and since I shoot at a private range I have never shot these targets before. Are they a fire hazard? According to my understanding these targets cannot go off unless they are shot with a rifle or pistol round so how are they a threat? I would appreciate your thoughts on this issue.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/06/fbi-warns-exploding-targets-could-be-used-for-ieds/

Blah, Blah, Blah.  Source of explosive?  Well lets see,  500 bucks gets you a crapload of fertilizer and diesel fuel.  Which is more cost effective?  How many propane tanks can you "rent" for 500 bucks. 

Until our idiot "lawmakers"  get it through their heads that it's not the tool it's the person using the tool that is the threat, this kind of nanny state crap will continue.

As to setting fires,  well duh Extremely dry grass is not the best place to be setting these off.  Nor is it a good place to use tracer rounds, Nor is a good place for a campfire.

I guess common sense ain't so common.

Most exploding targets are a binary explosive. 

Yes, with like 20 pounds of the stuff, and the proper detonator (easy enough to make, I assure you.), you can make a halfway decent IED when you add ball bearings, nails, screws, and rat poison. 

But you can do the same thing with a pressure cooker and fireworks, amonium nitrate/fuel oil, Tri-Nitro Toluene, or even gun powder in a lead pipe. My point is, where there is a will, THERE IS A WAY. No matter what you do, the resourceful will always find a way to cause chaos. 

Most exploding targets are a binary explosive. 

Yes, with like 20 pounds of the stuff, and the proper detonator (easy enough to make, I assure you.), you can make a halfway decent IED when you add ball bearings, nails, screws, and rat poison. 

But you can do the same thing with a pressure cooker and fireworks, amonium nitrate/fuel oil, Tri-Nitro Toluene, or even gun powder in a lead pipe. My point is, where there is a will, THERE IS A WAY. No matter what you do, the resourceful will always find a way to cause chaos. 

This.  There's an infinite amount of ways to make IEDs, this is not a new threat and is just fearmongering. 

One of the least likely things to start a fire.

Tracers will definitely start fires. Throwing a cigarette out your car window might. Chances of Tannerite doing it are very low.

I think their claim of 16 fires is BS. You'd pretty much have to try to start a fire with Tannerite to do it.

I had the state police show up at the farm we shoot at twice.  Both times where because of tannerite.  A one lb tannerite explosion is loud as hell!  We heard the echo roll back about three times.  I dont recommend that you use them unless you need the police.

Ken

I use them all the time.

I prefer the half pounders. They are certainly not as loud, but we are there to shoot, not to blow the place up. Although they will blowup whatever you put them on, they seem to have less risk of launching stuff back at you. Those two pounders definitely need to go out past 100 yards and set on an expendable stand so they don't launch rocks at you from the ground.

One of the least likely things to start a fire.Tracers will definitely start fires. Throwing a cigarette out your car window might. Chances of Tannerite doing it are very low.I think their claim of 16 fires is BS. You'd pretty much have to try to start a fire with Tannerite to do it.

Tracers for sure, but I think also unshielded exhaust on cars or ATVs. I saw kids do this by accident with a dirt bike; not a big fire and easily put out, but if they had been zipping through a remote field, might have been different.