maintenanceguy

contacting AGs office to speed up FID process?

I was in a gun shop the other night.  The dealer and I were chatting about the state of NJ and he said that a lot of guys were contacting the AGs office when they weren't getting their permits within the statutory 30 days and were getting the permits approved immediately, even without the background checks being done.

I haven't heard this before and I though that there was case law that made it official that the 30 day requirement could be ignored by local PDs and the state.

Anybody else heard this rumor that a call to the AG's office gets the process done?

I sent them a letter- never heard back. 

I sent one to NJSP Internal Affairs, got a phone call the day they received the letter.  The investigator was chomping at the bit, and had already contacted the firearms unit and the barracks. I had received the permits the day before they called me, but I feel like this was the best response I got out of all the letters I sent. 

I sent letters to Rick Fuentes(head of NJSP), Senator Jeff Van Drew(who actually called me, but I'm not sure it helped with getting my permits sooner), NJSP IA, and Governor Christie.  I didn't hear anything from Rick Fuentes or Christie. 

I sent them a letter- never heard back. 

I sent one to NJSP Internal Affairs, got a phone call the day they received the letter.  The investigator was chomping at the bit, and had already contacted the firearms unit and the barracks. I had received the permits the day before they called me, but I feel like this was the best response I got out of all the letters I sent. 

I sent letters to Rick Fuentes(head of NJSP), Senator Jeff Van Drew(who actually called me, but I'm not sure it helped with getting my permits sooner), NJSP IA, and Governor Christie.  I didn't hear anything from Rick Fuentes or Christie. 

How soon after you applied?

I'm a little past the 30 day mark for my latest P2Ps and I'm pissed because my town usually had a 2-3 week turnaround time.  This time they're blaming it all on NJSP, not sure how much of that is true.

I'm a little past the 30 day mark for my latest P2Ps and I'm pissed because my town usually had a 2-3 week turnaround time. This time they're blaming it all on NJSP, not sure how much of that is true.

Our town too.... SP.... 9 weeks....

I'm a little past the 30 day mark for my latest P2Ps and I'm pissed because my town usually had a 2-3 week turnaround time.  This time they're blaming it all on NJSP, not sure how much of that is true.

To clarify- NJSP is my local PD. 

For the letter to Jeff Van Drew, I waited till around the 90 day mark. He personally called me within a week of me mailing the letter.  He's a very good guy.  One of the only "good" democrats. 

For the NJSP internal affairs, Governor Christie, and the AG I waited till around the 125 day mark.

My friend is around the 85 day mark and he wants me to print him out all of my letters I sent, edited with his information so he can mail them out now. 

When I apply next time I plan to mail them out much sooner than I did before.  Especially that internal affairs one.  I had probably a good 20-30 minute conversation with the investigator and he seemed pretty understanding that waiting that long is wrong- and illegal.  He was in the firearms unit for 13 years so he had a good understanding of what goes on in that department. 

I'm currently almost at 2 weeks just waiting for the possibility of an extension on one of the P2P's.  The Trooper I dropped it off to wasn't sure if they would approve it or not. 

I haven't heard this before and I though that there was case law that made it official that the 30 day requirement could be ignored by local PDs and the state.

Mmmmmm, not exactly. The ruling simply said that, in the interest of public safety, the 30 day clock did not start ticking until all material for the background investigation was in hand. The usual hold-up is the mental health check as most of those records cannot be searched electronically. Also, since there is no transparency in the process, who's to say when the PD has all the records back that they need?

To clarify- NJSP is my local PD. 

For the letter to Jeff Van Drew, I waited till around the 90 day mark. He personally called me within a week of me mailing the letter.  He's a very good guy.  One of the only "good" democrats. 

For the NJSP internal affairs, Governor Christie, and the AG I waited till around the 125 day mark.

My friend is around the 85 day mark and he wants me to print him out all of my letters I sent, edited with his information so he can mail them out now. 

When I apply next time I plan to mail them out much sooner than I did before.  Especially that internal affairs one.  I had probably a good 20-30 minute conversation with the investigator and he seemed pretty understanding that waiting that long is wrong- and illegal.  He was in the firearms unit for 13 years so he had a good understanding of what goes on in that department. 

I'm currently almost at 2 weeks just waiting for the possibility of an extension on one of the P2P's.  The Trooper I dropped it off to wasn't sure if they would approve it or not. 

So considering the fact that I am at day 125 (just over 4 months) and was told by the PD that it shouldn't take more than 3 months.  I should probably start going up the ladder with it.  I've contacted the PD and all they said was we will get to it when we get to it.

Any chance you still have those letters?

Feel free to use these/edit them, whatever- I don't care.  Probably not the greatest of letters but whatever, they get the message across and I was pissed off when I wrote them...I kept myself from going off on them though :lol:

This is the letter I sent to the AG(at the time, now it's some other guy since Chiesa is working Senate duty).  Letter I sent to Rick Fuentes was roughly the same:

Dear Attorney General Chiesa,

I'm writing to you today to see if there is any way you can assist me in obtaining permits to purchase a pistol from the N.J. State Police from the Woodbine Barracks.  I applied for 3 permits on December 20th, 2012.  My references were called on December 28th, 2012.  They have cashed the check/money order for the fees- months ago. 
I've been waiting for these permits for over 4 months now, 135 days to be exact (as of the date of this letter), and counting.

As I’m sure you are aware, by state law this is supposed to be done in 30 days.  I am aware that our courts have essentially created case law, which allows law enforcement to take longer if in the interest of public safety.  I feel I have been more than patient enough.  I’m being deprived of my Constitutional Right.  NJSP is treating this as a privilege. 
I have called the Woodbine Barracks to see if the permits were in, or what the status might be on them, but the Trooper who answered the phone could only tell me that the Barracks approved the application, and sent it to Trenton.  He went on to say that if I didn't get a call, they are not in yet.  That was 4+ weeks ago. 
Is there anything you can do to assist me in obtaining the permits in a timely fashion? 

Letter to NJSP Internal Affairs(actually called the "Office of Professional Standards"):

To whom it is concerned,

I’m writing to express my great concern over a situation that has affected me for over 4.5 months now. 

I applied at NJSP Woodbine Barracks on December 20th, 2012 for 3 permits to purchase a handgun.  

I still do not have the permits.  Today is day 136, and counting, since I applied. 

My references were called on December 28th, 2012.   When I spoke to a Trooper at the barracks about a month ago, he said that the barracks had approved my application and sent it off to Trenton.  They cannot provide me with any other information.  My check and money order has been cashed- months ago. 

Please keep in mind that this is a right protected by the Constitution, not a privilege.   

I am aware that as per NJSA 2C:58-3 these permits are supposed to be approved or denied within 30 days of the application.  I am also aware that our courts have ruled that law enforcement can take longer if it is in the interest of public safety. 

Taking that into consideration, I feel that I have been more than patient in waiting this long.  I paid for a service, and it has not been rendered in a timely fashion, certainly not anywhere close to conforming to the state statute.    

Now I’m not sure as to what is going on in Trenton, but local municipal police departments have been turning these permits out in 4-6 weeks.  I’ve been waiting 19, almost 20 weeks.

At the end of each I left my contact information. 

Mailing addresses:

Colonel Rick Fuentes
New Jersey State Police
P.O. Box 7068
West Trenton, NJ 08628

Attorney General Chiesa
Department of Law and Public Safety
PO Box 80
Trenton, NJ 08625-0080

Commanding Officer

Office of Professional Standards

810 Bear Tavern Road

Suite 310

West Trenton, NJ 08628

Got mine today, took 4 1/2 months........... Going tomorrow to apply for a duplicate FID so I can keep one in the safe. I lost/misplaced mine and have had my wife buy all the long guns since then. Can't believe I had to follow the entire process again for this. My number did not change, so why the hassle? Motor Vehicle doesn't make us do this. Better keep my mouth shut and my fingers still, they may change their minds and delay a replacement license for six months..............

Got the call from NJSP while I was away on a camping trip this past week.  28 weeks to get my 3 P2P's.  They were dated July 30th, and I got the call 2 weeks later, on August 13th, so I get 2.5 months to make my 3 purchases, unless I can get the 3rd permit extended.

Got the call from NJSP while I was away on a camping trip this past week.  28 weeks to get my 3 P2P's.  They were dated July 30th, and I got the call 2 weeks later, on August 13th, so I get 2.5 months to make my 3 purchases, unless I can get the 3rd permit extended.

It takes NJSP almost 3 weeks to extend permits.  

60 days to buy 3 guns. Plenty of time.

Day 14 - get gun #1

Day 45 - get gun #2

Day 76 - get gun #3

You've got time, dude.

Oh, I did that math as well.  No question I can get it done, but you guys are assuming I will be in town at or around the 31st day after I make each purchase.  I travel out of state for work quite a bit, so personal stuff like this doesn't always happen when I want much of the time. 

I would have preferred to have the full month on the back end to make the third purchase.  I'll stop whining and get it done at this point.  NJ has me about fed up.