Plasma133

Another Pinned Stock Question

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all the help I've received so far. I have a Ruger SR556 NJ state compliant model with the fixed position "collapsible stock." Would anyone know if this stock is an actual collapsible stock that has just been pinned, or if it is only a collapsible stock look-a-like? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I live in Bergen County. Is it possible to purchase a collapsible stock online and bring it to a gunsmith to pin it to a position that better fits me and then replace my stock? In it's current state, my rifle stock is pinned all the way in the most extended position possible, which is far too long for me to wield properly. What gunsmiths in Bergen County would you recommend for any of these processes and at what cost?

Or would it be possible for me to purchase a shorter length fixed position stock such as a skeleton stock and replace it on my own? What tools would I need should I need any?

Respectfully,

-Plasma133

post-3578-0-64326600-1375921720_thumb.jpg

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all the help I've received so far. I have a Ruger SR556 NJ state compliant model with the fixed position "collapsible stock." Would anyone know if this stock is an actual collapsible stock that has just been pinned, or if it is only a collapsible stock look-a-like? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I live in Bergen County. Is it possible to purchase a collapsible stock online and bring it to a gunsmith to pin it to a position that better fits me and then replace my stock? In it's current state, my rifle stock is pinned all the way in the most extended position possible, which is far too long for me to wield properly. What gunsmiths in Bergen County would you recommend for any of these processes and at what cost?

Or would it be possible for me to purchase a shorter length fixed position stock such as a skeleton stock and replace it on my own? What tools would I need should I need any?

Respectfully,

-Plasma133

Oh crap, I PM'd you on the 'other' AR site about this.

You do have a fixed stock that will need to be changed out.

Read this...may help.  http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/49840-pined-stock-question/

I'm in Bergen County as well (on the north east border of Paramus) and I took the recommendation of a member here (bhunted) to check out Ottomanelli's (OSA) in Woodland Park. It's not in Bergen, but it's not a bad drive (it took me less than 30 minutes during the lunch hour) and you are even closer to there than I am.

http://osarms.com/

It's part of (or at least next to) a range, so there's a nice buzz about the place. And lots of regulars, so it has a friendly vibe.

The counter guys have that bartender quality of awareness about them; I was dealing with one guy, and another guy picked up on my conversation and recalled speaking to me on the phone hours earlier. It wasn't a particularly memorable phonecall, so I was impressed that he recalled everything that we had discussed. 

So as far as first impressions go, it was certainly a good one.

(unlike Ramsey Outdoor in Ramsey, where the counter guys seem to prefer speaking only with each other, and are oblivious to - or are inconvenienced by - what is happening on the opposite side of the counter)

I had specifically gone to OSA (yesterday!) for modifications (compliance) on my upper. I had left it with them overnight, so I'll be picking it up later today (they already called this morning; it's ready), so I can't (yet) speak of the quality of their work. But based on the customer base that I encountered there (including quite a few LEO types), I can't imagine that all of these customers keep returning there to have shoddy work done.  

I'll follow up here again after I've picked up my upper later today. But since you're based in Hackensack, I think it's definitely worth the trip just for recon purposes. Get a feel for the place. See them in action. Form your own impression of the operation there.

Btw, all that said..... are you not comfortable doing the stock pinning yourself? Because the link to the thread that Displaced Texan provided you is the same thread that had convinced me to do that kind of work myself. 

No offense to OSA (or other gun shops) but I'd much rather work on my own rifle if it doesn't require much in the way of special equipment and technical skill/experience.

As a matter of fact, my Magpul CTR is currently "out for delivery" right now (yes!!!) so that should be arriving at my house at any moment. So as soon as that arrives, I'll be getting down to business straight away. 

I know that I have a tendency to ramble, but I hope some of that might be helpful to you.

Working on an AR-15 isn't rocket science by any means. It just requires a couple of specialty tools, that aren't very expensive. If you have ever changed your own oil, you can work on an AR-15 with total confidence.

I would recommend a lower and upper receiver vice block, and an AR wrench as a minimum.

You can pick up all of them for well under $100 if you shop around. Every AR owner should have these.

There are PLENTY of YouTube videos explaining in detail hit to swap stocks, receiver extensions, everything AR. The knowledge is out there and available.

Of course, there is a wealth of information available through members of this site. We are al happy to lend advice, or a hand.

Best regards,

Jeff

Thanks Displaced Texan, 5th4x4 and everyone else who replied,

I checked on AR15.com for your response. I just ordered the TAPCO stock and barrel combined wrench with an ACE Entry Skeleton stock as I'm about 5'8." The fixed stock that came on my rifle was too long for me so I needed to replace it with a shorter one. I'm just glad with the ACE, although I haven't received it yet, will enable me to not have to pay someone else to do it for me.

-Plasma133

Hi,

I'm in Teaneck and have the "tools".  Also have a used ACE Entry if you're interested.  Let me know if you need help w/ anything.  As other's have mentioned, for what you're doing, it's not hard.  Go slow, check Youtube, and if you need additional help check here, AR15.com, M4carbine.net (IMHO, this is the best AR15 related site going).  I'll PM you my cell # if you want to call for help.