bulpup

Hey, are motorcycles allowed in HOV lanes...

There are still HOV lanes in NJ?  They tried them on I 80 years ago and it was an utter failure.

They tried to steal a viable lane from the regular commuters and make an HOV lane - it was an epic Christie nightmare (Christie Whitman that is)

If they had constructed a separate HOV lane it may have made sense but at the time it was government stupidity at its finest.

They tried to steal a viable lane from the regular commuters and make an HOV lane - it was an epic Christie nightmare (Christie Whitman that is)

If they had constructed a separate HOV lane it may have made sense but at the time it was government stupidity at its finest.

Yep, 3 or 4 cars in the HOV lane passing the other lanes that had become parking lots.  

If they wanted a real simple solution to traffic congestion they'd allow motorcycles to split lanes (legally).

If they wanted a real simple solution to traffic congestion they'd allow motorcycles to split lanes (legally).

From what I've read and been told by my LEO friends, there is no specific law against splitting lanes but they have the luxury using careless driving if they want.  And to be honest, in NJ, you'd be lucky if someone didnt open their car door and F-k you up!  LOL.  I have a big cruiser so i wouldnt even try it.  But if i had a crotch rocket i'd be all over it!

From what I've read and been told by my LEO friends, there is no specific law against splitting lanes but they have the luxury using careless driving if they want.  And to be honest, in NJ, you'd be lucky if someone didnt open their car door and F-k you up!  LOL.  I have a big cruiser so i wouldnt even try it.  But if i had a crotch rocket i'd be all over it!

I'm not talking about filtering through traffic that's moving at 75 mph.  But if traffic is under 20, there is no reason that I shouldn't be able to safely ride between lanes.  And if my Beemer fits, your cruiser would fit.

Giant brass ones

Split lanes in NJ? IMO suicidal. It's bad enough you're a freakin' target when you stop for a light or to make a left turn.

Generally people on bikes are targets because they ride like asshats. Nothing tweaks my inner Mr. Hyde like someone splitting lanes or pulling around everyone at a light.

Generally people on bikes are targets because they ride like asshats. Nothing tweaks my inner Mr. Hyde like someone splitting lanes or pulling around everyone at a light.

[/quote

+1.I ride a bike, but when I'm driving my truck, I shouldn't have to worry about veering toward the lane marking lines when some "asshat" comes ripping through like a J O!

Generalizing about people on bikes is no different than doing the same about people that lump all pro gun supporters with mass killers.the majority of cyclists are responsible and courteous, just like most people that drive cars and own guns. But there are always those that just don't follow the rules. And when I pull up to a light on my bike, if the person in front of me stopped 5 car lengths from the stop line because they are texting, I will go past them up to the light...I will be gone before they can finish reading their next message

You really need to stop holding back.  Please tell us how you really feel.

people making asshole comments about injuring or possibly killing someone because they are annoyed at traffic does piss me off. I know a few people that died in bike accidents that were the cars fault. So someone saying they would cause one on purpose gets to me.

people making asshole comments about injuring or possibly killing someone because they are annoyed at traffic does piss me off. I know a few people that died in bike accidents that were the cars fault. So someone saying they would cause one on purpose gets to me.

+100

Generalizing about people on bikes is no different than doing the same about people that lump all pro gun supporters with mass killers.the majority of cyclists are responsible and courteous,

Most of the riders and motorcyclists I have encountered drive respectfully and don't split lanes.  But like they say there's one in ever crowd, doesn't make them all bad.

You may have missed my sarcasm.  I agree with you, carguy was way out of line.  

To all the others that have weighed in, I am not suggesting that filtering be allowed like in the video I posted.  But in stopped traffic I should be able to ride at a safe speed that would allow me to stop when a douchenozzle opens their door in front of me or swerves to hit me.

original question...

19:9-1.24 Lane usage; Interchanges 11 to 14

(a) The left travel lanes of the Turnpike's outer roadways from Interchange 11 in the Township of Woodbridge to Interchange 14 in the City of Newark are designated as special reserved lanes for high occupancy vehicles (HOVs) during certain weekday hours specified below. Such lanes may only be used by vans or cars with a minimum of three persons or more, inclusive of the driver, or by buses or motorcycles, or vehicles with hybrid engines, regardless of occupancy, during time periods set forth in (a)1 and 2 below. During all other hours, the lanes will be open to all vehicular traffic, with the exception of commercial vehicles as that term is defined in N.J.A.C. 19:9-1.1.