MartyZ

50 beowulf or 6.5 grendel

Ok folks here comes the big question. I am building up an AR rifle and will hopefully be buying an upper in the near future. I already have a .223 and want to get a fun caliber. Now, I wont be hunting or or going any precision shooting with it, I just want a fun gun. The question is .50 beowulf or 6.5 grendel. I know that its like comparing apples to watermelon but which caliber is the most fun and why? And before I get the most common answer, I cant get both, I can have only one. Thanks guys.

The way I read the law, it applies to all centerfire cartridges of .50 cal or greater.  They are talking about a grandfather clause but who knows. 

And, it's not a foregone conclusion that he's gonna sign it, but also that he'll veto it.  IANAL, fwiw.

Anyway, back to your real dilemma...  I'd get the Beowolf.  Seems like a super cool cartridge and in an AR platform should be pretty damn fun to shoot.  Plus, should you decide to hunt it, what couldn't you take down with it? 

Good luck in your quest.

C

Check out 300 blackout mainly for the options it gives in ammo---

Brass is everywhere,  made from .223 cases

30 caliber bullet -- tons of choices

uses same mags as .223, same bolt, same gun except the barrel

How available is 50 wolf ammo -- or components to make ammo?

I'd do 6.5 Grendel. Reloading components are available, ammo is available. I'm not sure about .50 Beowulf, but ammo might be pricey and not as common to find, as are the reloading supplies. 

But I am biased to 6.5. I just really like the caliber and how flat it shoots and the ability to punch through objects without becoming unstable. 

neither, look at the 6.8 and call it a day

My friend has a 6.8SPC and he loves it.  .458 ammo is near impossible to find.

If I was going to build a larger caliber AR-15 it would probably be a 6.8.

I looked for the video of the whole episode online but couldn't find it. Vickers did upload the segment where they shot a pork shoulder (the only test in which the 300BO did best. Although they mentioned that the AK round looks like it hit the rebar in the test, so even there, who knows). Link to that vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV3UOVysp2o

The other tests where:

-Shooting a cinder block at 15yds, in which the 300 failed to penetrate to the other side of the block. The 5.56 cracked it pretty well and the 7.62x39 destroyed it.

-Distance shots at steel targets in which the 300 began to drop pretty sharply. So much so that they discontinued after 200yds (14" drop for the 300 Blackout IIRC, while the other two rounds remained pretty flat). Vickers said it wasn't even worth it to shoot at 300yds considering how high they'd have to aim.

Summary:

Looks like the 300 is a good/great special purpose round- CQB/home-defense. The fact that it didn't penetrate the cinder block augurs well for indoor use.

Travis Haley's take:

After watching this...I looked up 300 BLK parts.  I would build a dedicated upper for it rather than dealing with swapping barrels.

For the price, I can do a 300 BLK for a lot cheaper than a 6.8.  And give the guys quick hit on the 6.8...300 blackout seems like a better choice. 

I might have to do this...

I built a 300BLK last year.  Still trying to get to the range to test it out.  Something always delays it.  Large assortment heads from 110 to 225 grain.  Subsonic or supersonic.  Working up for a hog hunt in Florida early in 2014 and then a helicopter hog hunt in Texas.

Yes, you are correct. I just built a 300, not sure where you are located but you're welcome to take a look at it. When I find a pound of H110 powder, I'll be able to work up some loads for it and get it broken in properly.

not sure if you ever are in de...but theres a couple places near in the north east portion of the state that usually have it in stock....and i saw it at dunklebergers a week or so ago....ive used 4198 ..and lil gun with decent results if you come across that....

Let me get this straight, the 300 blackout uses the exact same upper, bcg and mags as the .223? Only a different barrel?

not to mention another big plus you can "form" 300blk cases from 223 brass if you reload....

Working up for a hog hunt in Florida early in 2014

I'm going to FL in January on a hog hunt with my friend.  He's the one with the 6.8...he built that for hog hunting. 

That's part of the reason I want to do a bigger caliber AR.  I was originally going to go 6.8, but that video really convinced me about the 300 blackout. 

I'm going to start ordering parts here in the next week to build an upper.  I'm sure once I have an upper in my hands I'll go out and buy a lower and build that too :lol: