Bully

Birthday Selfie...

Topher...  thanks for hardening my resolve.  Always wanted a 1911 after shooting my buddy Rob's Cobra Karry.  Figured I had enough toys, but after reading your post I will be submitting for more permits today.  My 45th was last Sunday, time for a sweet 1911...

When I think 45ACP I think 1911.

I don't particularly care for either as 45 ammo is expensive and I don't really like a 1911.  Just not my thing.

Buuuut...45 ACP is also synonymous with a Thompson "Tommy" gun, something I didn't know until I joined the forum.

There was a guy selling a NJ legal one, complete with violin case, last year, in the buy sell.  It was drop dead sexy. 

That would be interesting, and unique. 

I don't particularly care for either as 45 ammo is expensive and I don't really like a 1911. Just not my thing.

Buuuut...45 ACP is also synonymous with a Thompson "Tommy" gun, something I didn't know until I joined the forum.

There was a guy selling a NJ legal one, complete with violin case, last year, in the buy sell. It was drop dead sexy.

What you don't like the 1911 :) j/k the tommy gun would be interesting to shoot

I don't particularly care for either as 45 ammo is expensive and I don't really like a 1911.  Just not my thing.

There was a guy selling a NJ legal one, complete with violin case, last year, in the buy sell.  It was drop dead sexy. 

Great minds think alike....I mentioned the Thompson back in post #15!  Years ago at a "Gun Day" at CJ, Auto-Ordnance Corp. had a Thompson there.  Semi-auto with 20 round mags (only put 10 in a mag).  50 yard Pepper-Popper with auto-reset feature.  Every shot a new BANG and KLANG, lol!  Nice piece of history, and Jersey legal too!

Nothin' quite like a "Chicago Typewriter"!

Dave

Well, I haven't figured out what I want yet.  However I am able to scratch a category off the list. 

I shot a Single Six today.  A whole lotta fun.  Nice handling little gun  and fairly accurate for what it is as well.  However, I like to spend as much time shooting as reloading so a single action revolver will be off the list for now.  Maybe a little later down the road but for this purchase that class of firearm is out. 

@FrankRizzo...  If you're talking about the Ed Brown pistol I'm thinking you are, yes, that's a sweet pistol.  It is a magical shooter.  Unfortunately way over budget.

So is the Kriss...  as well as the Thompson...  unfortunately.

C

I own a S&W Model 25 with a long barrel and it is a great gun as mentioned. It's a double action and heavy enough to absorb most of the recoil. If you look hard enough they make some really nice custom grips for it, it is a great looking gun. The cost of 45LC keeps me from shooting it too much though at arounf $40+ for a box of 50 it is something to consider reloading.

Two thoughts - let me first say I'm a 1911 fan but enough people have mentioned them (for a reason!).  Might also want to look at a Sig 220 or a Ruger SR45.  The Sig is a great platform.  At least for me it just fits my hand well.  As for the Ruger, I believe the SR45 is the newest iteration of the SRx platform, with earlier 9mm and .40S&W being excellent shooters.  It's next on my list...

How about a FNX-45? I am in the market for a few more handguns. I have a S/A 1911, it has never given me a problem with any ammo I have put through it, from whimpy semi wadcutters to factory .45's. Has always run 100% and cost me about $600 used, though it looks brand new. That FNX is a double stack, but not sure about the polymer frame. I am going to go check one out again to see what t feels like.

I'm gonna second the SR45.  Only .45 I've fired, but I was expecting more recoil.  I've only put 200 rounds through it so far, but no issues at all.  You could also probably find one for $450 to $500, so it will be harder for your wife to go back on her word.

Friend of mine has one and fires black powder cartridges with it.  Great rifle!  I've fired it as well!  Real tack driver at 50 yards (as far as I've fired it).  I would buy one in a heart beat.

I already own a .44 Mag version of the SAME rifle Chris!

Dave

Howabout. Fn fnx tactical 45. 15 rd mag. That says it all. Thats alotta lead. Has plenty of mounting options also. Oh yeah in fde color.

I have an fnp45 usg that I love and have been thinking of getting the tactical now that they are in stock in multiple places for $999 shipped.

Bryan, as much as I like those guns, they don't particularly do it for me. 

I'm seriously leaning towards a lever action in 45/70 or 45lc.  If I do get a handgun, it'll have to be pretty stinking nifty to dissuade me from one of those choices.  I have not completely ruled out the possibility of a 1911 or even a 45acp revolver but I have not seen anything that makes me smile as much as the thought of a damn big boom the likes of which would be caused by a 45/70 case loaded hot. 

Lets see where it goes.

C

Chris,

The Marlin Model 1895 in .45-70 will take it as hot as you want!  Even the HOT Barnes bullets factory-loaded that say, "NOT for use in Trapdoor Springfields!"

I've shot the .444 Marlin, which is practically the same platform......SWEEEEEEEET!

Dave

I'm so out of touch. I thought a "selfie" was an act of self-love. I've subsequently learned that it is a term commonly used in social media like Facebook, a place with which I am totally unfamiliar. I feel kind of like Sheldon on Big Bang Theory, but not as smart.

I'm so out of touch. I thought a "selfie" was an act of self-love. I've subsequently learned that it is a term commonly used in social media like Facebook, a place with which I am totally unfamiliar. I feel kind of like Sheldon on Big Bang Theory, but not as smart.

It's O-K Frank (I mean Sheldon).  Just make sure to wash your hands after playing with your Gun, lol!

Dave

So, I've narrowed it down to a few guns:

Marlin 1894CB in 45 Colt.  20" octagonal barrel.  Difficult to find but a really good looking gun.  Only potential downside is that I would need to add another set of dies to the press.  Fortunately the ACP and Colt share components.  So, really not a lot of trouble. 

Smith and Wesson 45 ACP DA revolver of some sort.  I like the 625 with a 4" barrel.  A little pricier that I have been wanting but such a great gun...

A 1911.  I know I seemed resistant to the idea, but they are great guns.  And although I may have a couple of them, another is never a bad idea.  Question is, do I buy pre-made or build another one?  I like the build idea but it does take a while.  And, no one makes a frame quite like what I want.  But I think I can get past that with some wranglin'. 

Hey Dave (Smokin .50) can you PM me your number?  I lost it.  Sorry.

C

Maybe instead of he Marlin take a look at 1866 Yellowboy or 1873 Short Rifle from Uberti.

I have the short rifle in 357 and it is one of my favorite rifles. Good shooter.

For others that like the 45colt/45ACP SA idea uberti also makes one.

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/cartridge-revolvers/model-p-sa/model-p-2.html

Well, I got it all squared away.

It's on hold as I am waiting for permits and have something in front of it at this time. Thanks to all that offered advice and guidance. Much appreciated.

C