Hawkin

Disabled Veteran Mocked, Kicked Off Boardwalk over Service Dog

What is going on? Its seems like everyday "the public" is losing respect for our service members.  Investigation? This should of been handled right there with the police supervision.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/08/10/Disabled-Veteran-Mocked-and-Kicked-Off-Boardwalk-For-Service-Dog

my email to the mayor of North Wildwood:

Mr Mayor,
    I , and my family are deeply saddened  by the story I have read about the conduct of you police with respect to a disabled veteran. Let me say first hand that I know that there are likely circumstances that the officer felt relevant to warrant issuance of the summons.  As a son of a Vietnam veteran, a brother to a person serving in Afghanistan and a member of my town’s council, I cannot understand why ANY of this happened. I have not been to the shore since that late 80’s , my reason was simple, overzealous police issuing parking tickets when no ticket was warranted. Like many other people, I had planned to visit the shore for the first time in many years. Sadly, this incident only underscores the problems that existed have not changed. Therfore I will make it a point to exclude your town, specifically, from my travel plans and make sure to spend my time elsewhere. This is regrettable, but I feel it is warranted.

my email to the mayor of North Wildwood:

Mr Mayor,
    I , and my family are deeply saddened  by the story I have read about the conduct of you police with respect to a disabled veteran. Let me say first hand that I know that there are likely circumstances that the officer felt relevant to warrant issuance of the summons.  As a son of a Vietnam veteran, a brother to a person serving in Afghanistan and a member of my town’s council, I cannot understand why ANY of this happened. I have not been to the shore since that late 80’s , my reason was simple, overzealous police issuing parking tickets when no ticket was warranted. Like many other people, I had planned to visit the shore for the first time in many years. Sadly, this incident only underscores the problems that existed have not changed. Therfore I will make it a point to exclude your town, specifically, from my travel plans and make sure to spend my time elsewhere. This is regrettable, but I feel it is warranted.

Bravo!

A disgusting act.

Here is a list of North Wildwood contacts, please – PLEASE write them and state that this is unacceptable behavior. 

Council President Patrick Rosenello - [email protected]
Council Member James Kane - [email protected]
Council Member Ed Koeh
ler - [email protected]
Councile Member Peggy Bishop – no email, snail mail addy - 132 West 1st Avenue
North Wildwood, NJ 08260
Council Member David Del Conte - [email protected]
Council Member Kellyann Tolomeo - [email protected]
Council Member Salvatore Zampirri - [email protected]
Council Member – James Kane - [email protected]

I'm petitioning the Board of Officers of the New Jersey State Firefighters Association to move our yearly convention to another city for a year or two.  Anyone interested the email addresses for the NJSFA are here: www.njstatefiremensrelief.com

Sadly the public has a short memory. When hostilities break out they praise you for your service... and when things wind down they start cutting your benefits.

On a side note: One thing that feeds into this disability issue is that there are too many people today who are claiming to be "disabled" but are truly not. Too many people (not all) have handicapped placards who have no apparent handicap. This leads people to be skeptical of those who may actually be disabled. As a person who has a handicapped placard and license plate I'm in favor of a system wide review of all persons claiming to be handicapped and weeding out those who do not meet the criteria under NJ law. Too many doctors are signing off on patients who do not need a handicapped permit. The same goes for Social Security Disability... too many people on it who don't need it and too many who need it can't get it. The system is broken.

My letter;

Mr. Mayor,

I'm writing today to express my utmost anger and outrage that you and your office have refused to offer an apology to a Disabled American Veteran "until the investigation concludes".

Sir, need I remind you that you serve at the pleasure of the people. People like myself who bought a vacation home here five years ago. I'm hoping that you change your mind and that you do it in a hurry.

You see, I'm a former United States Marine who served in combat and received a Purple Heart for injuries that I sustained. I will go to hell and back to help any of my brothers and sisters who have picked up a rifle and gone to war to protect people like you and the officer that so rudely disrespected my brother in arms.

This officer was out of line and acting in a way that was in direct violation of both State and Federal laws regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the use of service animals. What makes this even more heartless is that it was done to a DISABLED AMERICAN VETERAN on a boardwalk packed full of people for all to see.

I will not stand for this type of treatment against Veterans in a town where I pay taxes. With God as my witness if this wrong isn't righted I will do everything in my power to make sure you are not reelected. We will not forget at the polls!

Additionally, there are countless organizations that are now calling their members to action for this man and fight to have his honor restored and an apology given. As I stated before Mr. Mayor, you serve at the pleasure of the people. I know you will make the right decision.

That article does not talk about the whole story while the officer may have be a Class II for the summer, I would bet there were escalating factors.

I'm petitioning the Board of Officers of the New Jersey State Firefighters Association to move our yearly convention to another city for a year or two.  Anyone interested the email addresses for the NJSFA are here: www.njstatefiremensrelief.com

Good luck the North Jersey Firefighters have been trying to get the convention site changed for the last 3-4 years I think and with no success.

That article does not talk about the whole story while the officer may have be a Class II for the summer, I would bet there were escalating factors.

The story has already hit other places. Most of the guys on the boardwalk are the Class 1 guys. They're supposed to be trained in ADA compliance and service dogs in public places. If they're not trained it's the PC's fault. But, living just off the boards I see a lot of kids become class 1 and even class 2 to impress their friends yet they still fuck around almost nightly... and the should be. Not just in a uniform while on duty.

Every police officer on the boardwalk in North Wildwood is a class II or full time.  Wildwood has a mix of class I and II and full time on the boards.  Also almost every news article never presents the whole story just one side based on the writers opinion.  As far as their training goes that will fall on the curriculum set forth by the Police Training Commission of NJ - My bet there is not an ADA chapter but there will be now.

ETA: For clarification I am referring to the PTC Class II certification, not a basic certification.

I am failing to understand why people keep mentioning the ADA or what class the officer was..   I thought it was extremely common knowledge that a registered service dog performing his duties as such was allowed EVERYWHERE.  Period.  I guess I just assumed that almost all citizens (much less LEOs) knew this to be the case.  Am I mistaken in this assumption?  I dont care if he was summer help or not. 

What makes this worse is the words he used in speaking to the vet.  I find that to be 100% in-defendable.  This 'officer' should not only be fired for his actions, but he should also be sued for his callous attitude toward a disabled vet.  The town should also be sued.  I am typically not in the "sue everyone" camp (in fact, 95% of the time, I am completely against it), but in this case, I feel this should be a certainty.  

I have already seen this on New Jersey 12 station, so its already getting quite a bit of publicity, as it should.  If this is how the LEO for shore resort towns are going to act, then they shoould get as little business as humanly possible.  

One thing I would love to see is Christie making a public statement condemning the actions of the officer and township police (if he was just 'following orders', then someone told him to do it).  Trying to get people back to these shore resort areas should rightly take a big hit with attitudes like this.  

I dont know what "other factors" were involved..  Possibly the guy got pissed off when he was told to leave.  If so, then good, he has every right to get pissed off.  If other people on the boardwalk saw the exchange, then they should speak up as soon as possible.  This 'investigation' should take about a day and not only a VERY public apology should be given, compensation should be given to this guy and a revised training regiment should be adopted by the PD in this town so they KNOW THE F*CKING LAWS!

ok, rant over..  (sorry, this pisses me off..  i never served in the military, but i have the utmost respect for those that have) 

I follow Christie on twitter, and he replied to tweet from someone, that he is having the AG look into the situation.

I agree. Already asked the AG to look into the incident. @GPollowitz: the idea that a veteran was kicked off a NJ boardwalk is a big deal

Why dont police unions push for a law that requires them to be supplied with video cams that record their entire shift, that way they can show their side of the story.

Well, why don't they? Because maybe it won't support their side of the story? 

Why dont police unions push for a law that requires them to be supplied with video cams that record their entire shift, that way they can show their side of the story.

then people would complain about paying for all the cameras, the additional staff needed to maintain and repair the cameras and all the other stuff associated with the cameras.

then people would complain about paying for all the cameras, the additional staff needed to maintain and repair the cameras and all the other stuff associated with the cameras.

We'll charge it to the war on terror.

All our equipment is lowest bidder, and it never works as intended. :facepalm:

Every LEO I know does not want a camera period.  Even though the LEOs I know are all top of the line officers, they still don't want cameras.

Being asked to leave.... dickish move but ok id look past that... Mocking a vet for having a much needed service dog due to injuries recieved while in combat.... I tell you what that soldier has a lot more restraint that we can give him credit for.  I have seen dudes SNAP from PTSD.  Those service dogs are a huge help and a much needed "wingman" to many vets!  I wish they would issue more of the dogs and less of the pills because I personally think they work better!  Anyway as much as that punk ass cop shoulda been reality checked, I am glad the soldier kept his composure... Add this to the reasons I can't stand Wildwood!  Actually "wildwood Cops" are MANY reasons I don't like wildwood...