jrfly3006

Anybody Paracord wrap their handguards?

Was gazing over on another forum and came across a few guys that wrapped their metal open type handguards (non rail types) with 550 cord to help with keeping the heat off the hands.. Anybody ever try it?..just looking for some grip on the handguards while keeping my hand from burning., not looking to mount rails and rail panels at this point.. I currently have a diamondhead non FF guard on there..trying to gather some opinions at this point..

Sounds like a good option if needed but make sure it's not polyester cord but cotton or wool blend cord. You don't want stuff melting on that as you'll burn a Sunday getting it off.

great point.. For me the pros are cheap to do..cheap to replace..paracord is ALWAYS good to have available..tool-less easy on easy off and no mods to gun..probably gives a good grip and insulation

my only concern would be them holding moisture against the metal if the gun is operated in wet conditions... but I guess since most of these handguards are aluminum its not like they can rust..

another good point.. I guess in that situation one would have to be cognizant of getting it dried out as soon as feasible..perhaps a hair dryer would work..but I do think the aluminum and its coating would withstand alot

my only concern would be them holding moisture against the metal if the gun is operated in wet conditions... but I guess since most of these handguards are aluminum its not like they can rust.. 

This is compounded by the fact that the proper way to do one of those wraps is with WET paracord. As the material dries it tightens a bit.

To me it all seems like taking something that's mostly there for looks (the open metal handguards) and adding something (paracord) to defeat the purpose you put the first thing on. The open handguards for better cooling and now wrap with paracord which will inhibit cooling and make it not as efficient as std handguards. To me its like pinning a stock. You might as well use a std fixed stock but the pinned stock has more of a cool factor.

I've fired thousands of rounds through M16s, M4s, and ARs in training and in combat. A lot of those rounds were fired full auto. Never had any problem with heat coming through the standard handguards.

That's my take.

To me it all seems like taking something that's mostly there for looks (the open metal handguards) and adding something (paracord) to defeat the purpose you put the first thing on. The open handguards for better cooling and now wrap with paracord which will inhibit cooling and make it not as efficient as std handguards. To me its like pinning a stock. You might as well use a std fixed stock but the pinned stock has more of a cool factor.

I've fired thousands of rounds through M16s, M4s, and ARs in training and in combat. A lot of those rounds were fired full auto. Never had any problem with heat coming through the standard handguards.

That's my take.

my handguards are thin profile so your hand is much closer to the barrel and you do get enough heat to make you uncomfortable..the cord allows some insulation withouth making the handguard super thick..just a simple, cheap and completely reversible addition

open metal hand guards are most definitely not just for looks, because narrow free floated and light weight tubes are actually very useful.

I've never had an issue with the heat. If you are shooting your rifle until it gets too hot to hold via a freefloated tube you are probably doing bad things to the bore.

Yeah i cant see how or why the handguard would get to hot to hold. Ive shot plenty of three rd bursts and never has it got too hot to hold. Unless somebody out there has girly fingers from using too much jergens. My callouses protect me from that. Bitches.

We're not talking a survival rifle here.

If you're talking survival gear and a combat rifle the best way to accommodate that is putting together on a vest or web gear what the SAS calls "belt kit". Your belt kit has ammo, canteens, and all your basic survival gear and oure wearing it most of the time. If you have to unass an area fast you take your rifle and belt kit.

I know the purposes of an open metal handguard and have one on one of my ARs. However, its thick enough and not so open that the heat makes it to my hand. If you use one that's thin enough and open enough to make the heat unbearable its not functioning as a "handgun". If you put it on to aid in cooling the barrel and then wrap it in paracord you're defeating the purpose ou put it on to begin with.