sure shot

Are surefire muzzle brakes legal?

It looks like a standard break and passes the pinky test but it has the ability to accept surefire supressors. I am considering one to finish my build because I do not plan on living in NJ much longer than I need to and I would like to keep my options open in the future. Does anyone have any advice?SureFire%20MB556K-PN-3T.jpg?1357281048

This has come up before, but I don't remember the outcome, or if there was a definitive answer. If the comp has threads on the outside to accept a suppressor over the comp, then I would say that becomes an evil feature (threaded barrel - since permanently attached comps are considered part of the barrel).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

From what I have seen the supressor slides right over it and has a lock ring that threads into it. I don't think the muzzle device itself has many markings that would indicate it would accept a supressor other than an alignment groove. I searched a bit on the forums and couldn't find a solid answer either! 

This has come up before, but I don't remember the outcome, or if there was a definitive answer. If the comp has threads on the outside to accept a suppressor over the comp, then I would say that becomes an evil feature (threaded barrel - since permanently attached comps are considered part of the barrel).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

This.  You wouldn't drive around with a comp-less barrel threaded to fit a suppressor would you?

And the one you posted has a -PN which means that brake is pinnable

The p/n has nothing to do with the ability to pin

wait...  only a brake that has PN on it is pinnable?

NO!

Well technically surefire labels it like that cause they make the rear thicker (drillable) they give it more meat. The others are thinner

That is totally incorrect! The rear is thicket to support the Suppressor mounting.

The break is not thicker to make it easier to pin. The fact that they designed this for a surpressor  application

shows they were thinking Free State, not weather or not NJ residents could pin it on - lol

It looks like a standard break and passes the pinky test but it has the ability to accept surefire supressors. I am considering one to finish my build because I do not plan on living in NJ much longer than I need to and I would like to keep my options open in the future. Does anyone have any advice?SureFire%20MB556K-PN-3T.jpg?1357281048

This picture is the older MB556K - NOT the current SFMB-556-1/2-28 SOCOM SureFire muzzle brake.  The MB556K is not threaded like the SFMB-556-1/2-28, so it is legal.  I put the MB556K on my Tavor:

Although I did not buy the pre-drilled version of th MB556K, my FFL did a good job drilling it (after breaking one or two bits) and welding it on.  If anyone wants one of these, they better move quick since SureFire stopped making them and replaced them with the threaded SFMB-556-1/2-28 brake.

This picture is the older MB556K - NOT the current SFMB-556-1/2-28 SOCOM SureFire muzzle brake.  The MB556K is not threaded like the SFMB-556-1/2-28, so it is legal.  I put the MB556K on my Tavor:

Although I did not buy the pre-drilled version of th MB556K, my FFL did a good job drilling it (after breaking one or two bits) and welding it on.  If anyone wants one of these, they better move quick since SureFire stopped making them and replaced them with the threaded SFMB-556-1/2-28 brake.

Couldn't you just "destroy" the external threads, such that nothing will screw onto it? Its not hard to "mess up" threads to the point of being nothing more then decorative grooves. A dremel would quickly grind those down. Alternatively, weld a metal ring around the threads. It won't be truly bearing any sort of load, so fairly thin sheet metal, and a few quick "plug" welds and bam, no more threads.

Couldn't you just "destroy" the external threads, such that nothing will screw onto it? Its not hard to "mess up" threads to the point of being nothing more then decorative grooves. A dremel would quickly grind those down. Alternatively, weld a metal ring around the threads. It won't be truly bearing any sort of load, so fairly thin sheet metal, and a few quick "plug" welds and bam, no more threads.

That would really make a mess of a beautifully made muzzle brake

Please show me the link - I don't see that anywhere on their web site.

and the ones I've sold are not Pre-drilled.

I'm interested..........?????

Apparently you can't read and apparently don't know shit about guns LOL!!! I'd never bring a firearm to you!!

Posted Image

Huh?  The new Surefire brake isnt threaded on the outside.  And it already comes predrilled for pinning & welding

sfmb-556-1-2-28.pngHere is a pic of the SFMB-556-1/2-28.  Those surface grooves towards the barrel are threads.

Sure about that??  Must be using some kind of new threads that dont look like threads at all then......... :icon_rolleyes:

l_152000134_4.jpg

l_152000134_5..jpg

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/muzzle-brakes/socom-muzzle-brakes-prod55270.aspx

Sure about that??  Must be using some kind of new threads that dont look like threads at all then......... :icon_rolleyes:

l_152000134_4.jpg

l_152000134_5..jpg

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/muzzle-brakes/socom-muzzle-brakes-prod55270.aspx

I'm positive.  I bought one and did not put it on my rifle for that reason.  I would be happy to sell it to you if you want it.

• Like 1