sure shot

Are surefire muzzle brakes legal?

I'm positive.  I bought one and did not put it on my rifle for that reason.  I would be happy to sell it to you if you want it.

Ok could you post some pics of the threads on yours then?  Cause every pic or video Ive seen of the new version it just looks like grooves to me, but it wouldnt be the first time I was wrong.

OK I haven't been on in a while and saw this thread got a bunch of new responses. I ended up buying the model I posted. For clarification they make a pinnable one and a standard version, the pinnable one has a larger collar and a pre drilled hole to make attaching it easier. There are no other threads, only a half inch groove at the tip for surefire specific suppressor to fit onto. There is nothing I could see that would make it illegal to own in this state and soon enough I hope to be out of here anyway.

I have been giving thought to the question of the legality of a brake that is threaded for supressors that mount that way. I still dont think they violate the law. The barrel was threaded but is now considered "permenantly capped" with a compensator/brake. Since the law states that the barrel cant be threaded to readily accept a flash hider that criteria has been met. The brake its self is NOT threaded for a flash hider, and therefore is of no concern. If someone knows of some mongo economy sized threaded flash suppressor that would fit the OD of the brake, id be interested to hear about it. (and no a suppressor is not a fh! Its a biproduct.)

(not legal advice, just my opinion)