DbleTrouble

debating between G26 or G27

The dual recoil spring in the Gen 4's is supposed to tame the .40 a bit better than a Gen 3...  Of course, that should also tame a 9mm a bit more, too.  In a sub compact carry gun, I'd probably want the extra capacity of a 9mm.  A good defensive 9mm round should be plenty effective these days.  I specifically wanted a .40, though I wanted a compact, not a subcompact, so I have the G23Gen4. 

As always, try to shoot both.  You may feel differently after shooting em, or you may cement your feelings and know you are making the right choice without any regrets.  Plus, Glocks are cheap[ish] and plentiful enough you can always get the other down the road if you feel like it.

G26 and G27 have the same frame. Go with the G27. Get the 9MM conversion barrel (Lone Wolf, etc). Now you can choose which one is best for each occasion. Could even go for 357Sig conversion barrel. Lots of options here.

Get an MP40c or MP9c

Why? They are compacts, not sub compacts. They are almost as big as the Glock 19/23, heavier than the 19/23, and hold less rounds than the 19/23's. The Glock 26/27 are a class all there own.

Glock 26 all the way. My favorite pistol hands down.

I own most of the firearms you talked about. G23, G19, G17 and Mp40c.

Out of all those, I like the smith and Wesson the best.( must admit, I have a Apex Trigger kit in)

I spend over 4 months of year out of state, and also find it versatile. It is used as my ccw. About same size as G26,27 with flat magazine, with larger finger extender , it's about the same size as g23.

Above all, use a fullsize mag with an X-grip and it's a fullsize gun with a full grip, ( not just a small gun with a huge mag hanging out the bottom)

I'm not saying glocks are bad, I own 3, but am not the typical "fanboy"

About same size as G26,27 with flat magazine, with larger finger extender , it's about the same size as g23.

Nope. Closer in size to the 19/23. I owned all 3 at once, 19, 26, 40c. The trigger guard on the S&W gives the illusion of a shorter grip by only letting you put 2 fingers on it. If you measure from the top of the slide to the bottom of the grip (with flat base plates) you will see just what im talking about. The S&W 40c/9c is heavier than the 19/23 pistol and holds less rounds. So I see no advantage to the S&W, hence the reason I sold off the S&W 40c.

Here is an easier way to compare sizes. Put both the 23/40c slide down, grip up, on a piece of 1"x3" wood (so the sights don't touch any surface), take a picture of the grip heights and post it.

Nope. Closer in size to the 19/23. I owned all 3 at once, 19, 26, 40c. The trigger guard on the S&W gives the illusion of a shorter grip by only letting you put 2 fingers on it. If you measure from the top of the slide to the bottom of the grip (with flat base plates) you will see just what im talking about. The S&W 40c/9c is heavier than the 19/23 pistol and holds less rounds. So I see no advantage to the S&W, hence the reason I sold off the S&W 40c.

Here is an easier way to compare sizes. Put both the 23/40c slide down, grip up, on a piece of 1"x3" wood (so the sights don't touch any surface), take a picture of the grip heights and post it.

Just putting my opinion out there..... That's what the forums are for..... GUESS you win

Just putting my opinion out there..... That's what the forums are for..... GUESS you win

Not at all. Just making people aware that the M&P C models are compacts and not sub compacts. It cost me time, money, and a P2P to figure this out. My loss is your gain.

I do like the .40 cal round and my primary is a G22.

As far as Capacity goes for standard mags

Glock 26 - 10 round

Glock 27 - 9 round

One round does not make a difference to me.

I've shot G26 gen 3 and 4 and liked it.  I don't know anybody that has a G27 so obviously have not tried it.

Has anybody shot G26 and G27 back to back?

I do like the .40 cal round and my primary is a G22.

As far as Capacity goes for standard mags

Glock 26 - 10 round

Glock 27 - 9 round

One round does not make a difference to me.

I've shot G26 gen 3 and 4 and liked it.  I don't know anybody that has a G27 so obviously have not tried it.

Has anybody shot G26 and G27 back to back?

I shot both before I bought my G26.

Recoil is different for everyone but I felt the 27 was too "snappy" with too much muzzle flip.

It was worse than the .45 G30 and my Kahr P40K .40

I love .40 I think it's a great caliber and u should stick with that , besides all the ballistic Bla Bla I never had any trouble finding ammo . UNLESS this is ur 1st handgun then u shud go with 9mm.

PS I'm talkling about the caliber not the models because my only glock is G19. the rest is .40 Sigs :)

Thanks for your opinions.   Last time I've shot the G26 gen4 I felt like it shoot rather mild so the extra recoil of the .40 should be manageable.  I like the extra stopping power of the 180 grain .40 vs the 115 grain 9mm.

Saying that I'm going to stick with my original plan and get the G27.

Thanks for your opinions. Last time I've shot the G26 gen4 I felt like it shoot rather mild so the extra recoil of the .40 should be manageable. I like the extra stopping power of the 180 grain .40 vs the 115 grain 9mm.

Saying that I'm going to stick with my original plan and get the G27.

No significant difference in ballistics between 180gr .40 and 124gr +p 9mm.

No significant difference in ballistics between 180gr .40 and 124gr +p 9mm.

Can you explain? 

My understanding is that +p will increase velocity.  So a 9mm will go at high velocity but the bullet is small so it will have high penetration.

Wouldn't the larger and heavier .40 bullet provide more punch with less penetration?

Can you explain?

My understanding is that +p will increase velocity. So a 9mm will go at high velocity but the bullet is small so it will have high penetration.

Wouldn't the larger and heavier .40 bullet provide more punch with less penetration?

+p will increase velocity and energy. Eg. Gold Dot 180gr .40 = 1025fs/420ftlbs, 124gr +p 9mm = 1220fs/410ftlbs. They will hit with with just about the same force. Expansion will be almost the same to .5"-.6" and both will penetrate to around the same depth of 9"-12". The way I see it the 9mm will just get it done a little quicker being 200fps faster.

But reading your post I gather you are talking about FMJ ammo? If that's the case then, yes overpentration becomes an issue with 9mm at higher velocities. For home defense/self defense you should use a high quality hollow point ammo such as Speer Gold Dots.

In .40cal I prefer Speer Gold Dot 155gr. 1200fps/500ftlbs fast and hard hitting. Has a big energy advantage over 9mm 124gr +p.

+p will increase velocity and energy. Eg. Gold Dot 180gr .40 = 1025fs/420ftlbs, 124gr +p 9mm = 1220fs/410ftlbs. They will hit with with just about the same force. Expansion will be almost the same to .5"-.6" and both will penetrate to around the same depth of 9"-12". The way I see it the 9mm will just get it done a little quicker being 200fps faster.

But reading your post I gather you are talking about FMJ ammo? If that's the case then, yes overpentration becomes an issue with 9mm at higher velocities. For home defense/self defense you should use a high quality hollow point ammo such as Speer Gold Dots.

In .40cal I prefer Speer Gold Dot 155gr. 1200fps/500ftlbs fast and hard hitting. Has a big energy advantage over 9mm 124gr +p.

Thank you for the explanation.  I greatly appreciate it.